1st Police Interaction while carrying

This is a discussion on 1st Police Interaction while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the background. This past saturday I was rear ended in Nashville by some lady texting or looking at the floor. Definitely sore as she ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 1st Police Interaction while carrying

Here's the background. This past saturday I was rear ended in Nashville by some lady texting or looking at the floor. Definitely sore as she was going about 50 mph and essentially accelerated through the impact, but overall OK, as was my passanger and the driver of the other vehicle. Truly a blessing. Soreness and bruises are annoying and unwanted, but to have all limbs and mind still in tact is most important. All else can be replaced and paid for, thats why we buy insurance! Also reinforced why I drive SUVs or trucks. Her car looked like a crushed tuna can on the front end, and mine looked like I just hit it with a few baseball bats in comparison, but still in very rough shape.

Called 911 and had police/ambulance sent out. I was just blown away by how professional both of the officers were, as well as the medical personel. Both saw my HCP and neither said one single word about it. It was my first interaction with police while carrying as I said in the title, and I was extremely pleased that I was treated with respect. No dissarming (which, I know, isn't disrespect but merely ensuring safety if the officers feel the need), no threats or 'Don't touch yours and I won't touch mine', simply not a word. Glad to know that there are some really good officers here in this city, and hopefully I was able to reinforce their mental picture of the CC population around here (not that it needs any fixing, just continuation of all the good things). Big thumbs up for the metro police!

And please everyone, don't text/look at the floor/be distracted while driving. If she would have hit a small car, there definitely would have been more severe injuries. If she had hit a motorcycle or cyclist, they would have been dead. Whatever you are worried about can wait until you are in park.

-crl
    Last edited by lambo969; August 21st, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
    GH, ccman, swiftyjuan and 5 others like this.

That is the way it should be. Glad you are ok....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'm glad you're OK and that you had a good experience with the LEOs. Hopefully that lady learned her lesson.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

sgb
    This is how it always should be.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Glad everyone is OK. I think you'll find the majority of rank and file LEO are good with carrying. It's the few that aren't that get the press time and like stupid carriers paint a negative picture.
    mkh, Glhadiator, ccw9mm and 1 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Glad everyone is OK. I think you'll find the majority of rank and file LEO are good with carrying. It's the few that aren't that get the press time and like stupid carriers paint a negative picture.
    Well stated Archer51

OP, Glad you're OK.
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Well that's good to hear bro!.....well, the way the officers response....not the accident itself. Good to hear when things go well.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Very true. Whether Officers like or or not they are ambassadors for the community they are working in. In this case as in most the LEO's made you happy to see them. They made you feel comfortable. This is good for the community as it enforces the idea that people are welcome to come spend their money in local business's. A community I would return to and speak well of to others.

Michael

Distinguished Member
    Glad your ok and it went as it should. I've been pulled over twice since I started carrying, and unfortunately both times got speeding tickets. But I keep my HCP right behind my license and pretty sure both times the officers saw it, neither said anything. I believe most encounters should and hopefully will go this way.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Sorry to hear about the accident, but at least noone was injured. I do have a question, you mentioned that the officers "saw" your HCP, did you actually hand it to them and did you tell them that you were indeed carrying? Are you required to tell them?
    I wonder if they just assumed the HCP was just there, came out of the wallet with the DL, but didn't mean you actually were carrying?

Glad it turned out ok for you. That's the way it should go down.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Glad you're ok. This is the situation the overwhelming majority of the time, but its never reported. We seem to dwell on the exception, not the rule. So thanks for sharing, OP!

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Glad your ok and it went as it should. I've been pulled over twice since I started carrying, and unfortunately both times got speeding tickets. But I keep my HCP right behind my license and pretty sure both times the officers saw it, neither said anything. I believe most encounters should and hopefully will go this way.
    I too am curious about this. Thankfully I haven't been pulled over while carrying-yet-but in my cwp class here in sc I was instructed that anytime I had to show identification I also was required to hand over my cwp and state that I was carrying a loaded firearm. Not sure if this is state-by-state or just my instructor going above and beyond. He was a former LEO if I recall correctly.

And I too am glad you had a good experience and no one was injured Lambo969

About 3 months ago I received a call from a Detective that my car had been broken into in the lot where I park in downtown Cincinnati. The thief was apprehended and my GPS was recovered. What he wanted to know was if anything else was missing from my car. Of course he knew I had a concealed carry license and wanted to be sure my gun was not in my car. I did a quick search of my car in the event there was something else but I knew my gun was safe as it was in my back pocket. I assured him nothing else was missing and he returned my GPS on the spot. He never questioned me about where or if I had a gun on my person. Very professional all around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links