NC, FL Concealed Carry Permit questions

This is a discussion on NC, FL Concealed Carry Permit questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wanting to apply for a concealed carry permit in my home state of North Carolina but I have a few issues that have ...

Thread: NC, FL Concealed Carry Permit questions

NC, FL Concealed Carry Permit questions

I am wanting to apply for a concealed carry permit in my home state of North Carolina but I have a few issues that have me concerned. I have looked at the states website many times trying to decide what my chances are. It would be nice if someone that actually deals with the gun laws or even the approval process in NC read this and could give me some answers. After you read this you may ask yourself why I even bother consider applying.
    First, at the age of 16 ( I am now 36) I got mixed up with the wrong crowd and was charged with B&E, FELONY larceny, poss of marijuana, and drug paraphernalia all at the same time. I went through the first offenders program and met the requirements. The charges were supposed to be removed from my record but we know how that goes. Between the ages of 17 and 20 I received 2 more paraphernalia charges but they were dropped by the DA. Fast forward to 5 years ago and a false charge of Communicating Threats was charged against me by a person that I originally charged with the same thing. Since I was going to college full time and could not afford to miss school going to court every month until this was resolved I accepted the others guys request for mediation at court, which we came to an agreement.
    I know that the last time I applied for a purchase permit, which was before the communicating threats charge, I had no problem getting them.
    I did a background check online and all of these charges had "Arraigned" beside them instead of a conviction. The site I went to was criminalrecords.info and it is by far the best free site I have ever found for background checks.
    Am I SOL trying to get a CCL in NC? That being said, I know that a Florida CCW will be valid in NC. I took the questionnaire on Florida's CCW site and it appeared that I have a pretty decent chance of getting it there. Would I be better off just going ahead and applying in FL or do you think I am screwed either way?
    Thanks for any info that you can give me.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. With your record, you may have issues. I would recommend consulting with a lawyer before beginning the process. However, as long as you weren't convicted of a felony or one of the disqualifying charges, you should still be able to get a permit. You may also be able to get your record expunged depending on the circumstances during and since. Again, talk to a lawyer.

With respect to an FL permit, if you are an NC resident, you will need an NC permit. Carrying in a resident state with a non resident permit is usually verboten.

Having hey Florida concealed license is legal in North Carolina. I only know this because a few weeks ago our local news station did a bit on it and had an interview with our county sheriff and he stated that it was legal. Apparently there are quite a few people in North Carolina with a Florida concealed carry license.

Since North Carolina and Florida are both shall-issue states, convictions are all that really matter. Doesn't mean they won't ask about it, though... as they almost surely will.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. With your record, you may have issues. I would recommend consulting with a lawyer before beginning the process. However, as long as you weren't convicted of a felony or one of the disqualifying charges, you should still be able to get a permit. You may also be able to get your record expunged depending on the circumstances during and since. Again, talk to a lawyer.

With respect to an FL permit, if you are an NC resident, you will need an NC permit. Carrying in a resident state with a non resident permit is usually verboten.
    I strongly agree, you will be money ahead to consult with a lawyer and if there are problems let him work them out.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. As to your delima, I agree with the others, check with a lawyer on the matter.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    What statute in NC says that a NC resident must carry under a NC issued permit? What makes this "verboten"?

I don't think that FL requires their non resident applications to have a valid carry permit in their state of residence.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

NC recognizes all other states carry permits. Nothing about residency. Florida, on the other hand, only recognizes resident out of state permits (which is not what you are asking). In other words, if I am a resident of NC and have a Kentucky non-resident permit, FL would not recognize that as valid unles you were a resident of Kentucky (or had a NC permit).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    What statute in NC says that a NC resident must carry under a NC issued permit? What makes this "verboten"?

I don't think that FL requires their non resident applications to have a valid carry permit in their state of residence.
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    NC recognizes all other states carry permits. Nothing about residency.
    In response to this thread, I did some reading up on the laws. I stand corrected on this one. The statement is quite specific, or rather general:
    14‑415.24. Reciprocity; out‑of‑state handgun permits.

(a) A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina.
    An out of state permit, (resident or non resident) is valid in NC.

You're best bet is to hire a lawyer to have your record expunged. Not just for your CCW, but for life in general (job applications, etc.). Although the NC app asks if you've been convicted, your county sherriff has the final say & can deny the application at his/her discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    your county sherriff has the final say & can deny the application at his/her discretion.
    Yes and no. The state is shall issue and the law specifically reads that unless you fit one of the disqualifying criteria, which are listed in the statute, that they must issue the permit. That being said, I am sure that if they have a semi legitimate problem with doing so, they will find a way to make it a much bigger hassle for you. Consulting with a lawyer is definately appropo in this instance.

Pistol Purchase Permits are another matter and still have the left over Jim Crow line of "being of good character at the discression of the sheriff."

Are you going to lie when you apply? You have to answer your address and county of residency and for how long. You have to answer if you are an unlawful user of any drug. Get an app and see the questions.

It has been a while since I have been on here and just wanted to add an update. I applied and was issued my permit without any hassle. I did call beforehand and talked with a very nice deputy that looked me up in the states system and said that from everything that she saw I was good to go. It is funny that my wife, that has had no legal issues at all whatsoever, applied for hers also and I actually received mine before hers. My only complaint is that here in Guilford County it took me about 80 days to get mine and it took my wife over 95 to get hers.

Links