how concealed is concealed.... question

This is a discussion on how concealed is concealed.... question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in Michigan on the highway and seen a motorcyclist that passed me with his t shirt blowing up in the wind and his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: how concealed is concealed.... question

how concealed is concealed.... question

I was in Michigan on the highway and seen a motorcyclist that passed me with his t shirt blowing up in the wind and his side arm was right out in the open on his side... Not sure of the law as im located in wisconsin but would I think this is not allowed as its out in the open??? any way... got me thinking about how concealed is concealed... if the purpose of concealed carry is to not let others know you have a gun but your clothing covers your gun out of sight... but shows a bulge or outline of gun in a holster on your person and obvious you carry... would this be a violation of concealed carry. just wanted to get some thoughts on this....

Jeff
    new user and cc holder in Wisconsin...

2. Remove Ads

Hi Jeff.

This wasn't discussed in your Concealed Carry class?

If I can see the outline or shape and determine it's a gun then you are "printing". Violation.

Concealed means concealed. No one should be able to determine you are carrying a gun.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Varies by state. In some states, "printing" may be considered not carrying concealed and therefore illegal. As for your specific incident with the biker. Open cary in Michigan is legal. But there is a caveat. Open carry "within" a vehicle requires a permit. Is a bike considered to be within a vehicle? Could be open to interpretation.

Here in Oregon Concealed Handgun license holders can also carry open. "Printing" isn't illegal unless you don't have a CHL and then you're in deep trouble for carrying a gun anyway.

I generally carry my SR9c OWB under a T-shirt. In warm weather (no overshirt) it prints, but I've only ever seen one or two other guys spot me for a concealed carry. (I think they were gun guys, too). Just about everybody else is too blind to notice what other people are doing or carrying.

I'm not worried about BGs trying to disarm me either. They are welcome to try it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Hi Jeff.

If I can see the outline or shape and determine it's a gun then you are "printing". Violation.

Concealed means concealed. No one should be able to determine you are carrying a gun.
    Not in florida! "Printing" is not a violation. Can't speak for other states. Didn't they cover that in YOUR CC class in Florida?
    Last edited by Badbullgator; August 22nd, 2012 at 05:51 PM.

As to the biker, many states have transportation to and from regulations. A friend of mine use to duck hunt with me and would carry his shotgun to my house each morning on his motorcycle. Perfectly legal because he was transporting his gun to and from hunting (Florida includes fishing and camping in the same open carry regulation and actually apply to general gun regs and not CC).

It could be a problem for him if an LEO sees it,but some states have a lot of leeway when it comes to such things as the wind blew your jacket open,or shirt up thereby revealing a gun,In most states "Printing" isn't a failure to conceal.When I ride without a vest to keep my shirt down I find tucking my shirt in the back of my jeans will keep my gun covered at all times,once I reach my stop I just untuck it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

As to your question, he was perfectly legal. Michigan is an Open Carry state. Even in your home state of WI it shouldn't be a problem, since OC is legal there as well. If he were in say FL or TX that would be a different story, since neither one allows OC.
    Chief1297 and JD like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Printing in Kentucky is not a violation because KY is an OC state too.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro - Gave it to my Daughter to carry.
    Carry Pistol. Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro Duotone 13+1.
    Carry Pistol. Bersa Thunder 9 HC Pro Duotone 17+1.
    Politicians should be limited to 2 terms - One in office and one in prison.

AOK
    Printing is not illegal in Michigan. In addition, if you have a cpl you can open carry including pistol free zones. If you don't have a cpl you can still open carry your legally owned firearm but there are more restrictions including proper storage when transporting a firearm.

In other words if he had a cpl he was perfectly within his rights. If he didn't have a cpl but owned the firearm legally he was breaking the law on how he was transporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If he were in say FL or TX that would be a different story, since neither one allows OC.
    Not entirely true archer51. In Florida open carry is allowed while hunting/fishing/camping/target shooting (safely), or going to/from said activities.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldwingElf View Post
    Not entirely true archer51. In Florida open carry is allowed while hunting/fishing/camping/target shooting (safely), or going to/from said activities.
    Thanks for the correction.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Open carry is legal in georgia. When i used to ride I didn't care if my shirt flew up, it kept people from driving to close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ogre likes this.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Several comments bring up the issue of training. Did the OP even have to attend a CPL class? I did not (AL), I just paid my $20, waited a week, & went and picked up my lic. I got a trifold brochure with FAQ which I did read, but not everyone does or will. Further, it had incorrect info and was rather sparse on info in some areas (printing and the like).

It also does not address the issue of MC carry. OC is legal in AL but one must have a CPL to carry IN a vehicle, debate on that got me a talking to on the AL OC forum, I said in & on were the same, others said no-they favored a strict by the letter reading. I have my cpl so I'm safe either way. But, at the time I only OCd my Judge, now I CC My BUG, kinda hard to OC a TCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Hi Jeff.

That's probably more to protect the states behind. For example: I can wear the Polo Shirts I wear and you wont tell I have a gun if I'm casually walking or standing, but if the WIND hits my shirt hard, it will outline no matter what. And down here we have 16mph winds constantly with gust to 20. Theres just no way around it. Even people who pocket carry will print the second they bend down and their pants tighten around thighs. I wish the law would change slightly in regards to printing.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links