passenger showing chl ?

This is a discussion on passenger showing chl ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I'm a passenger in a car that is stopped,should I tell the leo about my chl and that I'm carrying?this is in texas. sj...

Thread: passenger showing chl ?

passenger showing chl ?

If I'm a passenger in a car that is stopped,should I tell the leo about my chl and that I'm carrying?this is in texas. sj

2. Remove Ads

Well I am not familer with Texas law, you should be though. In Missouri we do not have to tell a LEO we are armed being the driver or passenger. However, out of respect for the LEO and there profession as to how dangerous it is for them I do tell them along with handing my license with permit to them putting the situation at ease a bit more for them.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

IMO, I'd have DL/CHL in my hand with CHL on top and visible. I suspect most of them know what the CHL looks like by now, and would recognise it in a passenger's hand. This way, they can make an informed decision for themselves.

Check the Thread "Appropriate actions when stopped by a LEO".
    Many posts on this similar question, with majority agreeing that one (driver, or passenger in this case) should inform by giving a LEO his CCDW ID when stopped.

sjones - IN TEXAS:

IF at ANY TIME (including when riding as a passenger in a vehicle) you are carrying under the authority of your CHL, if you are asked to identify yourself by the LEO you are REQUIRED to present your DL (or State Issued ID Card) AND your CHL License.

IF you are asked to identify and you are not carrying, you are not required to present your CHL, BUT IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO DO SO AS A COURTESY TO THE LEO. If you are asked to identify - and do not present your CHL - in the event they run your license, they will find out immediately that you are a CHL and it will pose additional questions in the LEO's mind.

Better to alleviate the unknown for the LEO up front, than to add the potential for additional Q&A after the fact...
    Last edited by TC-TX; September 25th, 2006 at 10:22 AM. Reason: to add Qualifier - THANKS sarhog!
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Quote Originally Posted by TC-TX View Post
    IF at ANY TIME (including when riding as a passenger in a vehicle) you are carrying under the authority of your CHL, if you are asked to identify yourself by the LEO you are REQUIRED to present your DL (or State Issued ID Card) AND your CHL License.
    If the car you are riding in is in Texas. That's not the case in all 50 states.

Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

I really meant if the leo is not talking to me at all,like the are two people in the front seat and I am in the back seat and he is talking to the driver.thanks. sj

I would go with what the law say's and what you think is best in that situation.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

according to packing.org it says you must notify an officer when carrying. To me that reads that any time an officers attention is directed towards you during ANY sort of encounter that involves you or someone in your party breaking a law, or requiring the officers direct attention, you should notify in the correct manner. I could be wrong though, I'm not from texas.

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
    If the car you are riding in is in Texas. That's not the case in all 50 states.]
    Thank you sarhog - YOU ARE CORRECT - I was thinking and speaking of Texas, as that was the qualifier in his OP...
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I really meant if the leo is not talking to me at all,like the are two people in the front seat and I am in the back seat and he is talking to the driver.thanks. sj
    The Government Code states IF YOU ARE ASKED FOR I.D....

GC 411.205. DISPLAYING LICENSE; PENALTY. (a) If a license
    holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person
    when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder
    display identification, the license holder shall display both the license
    holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the
    department and the license holder's handgun license.

If you are Not Asked to I.D. yourself, you are not required to do anything.

In this case - not being required to do anything - I suggest this is a judgement call. To tell a LEO - who has not addressed you specifically - that "I HAVE A GUN" may (depending upon the individual LEO) lead to additional and unnecessary engagement time...
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

This is a good question. I am curious about this too. I have been in a car pulled over(for speeding) as the passenger and the cop look at me when he got to the car and never so much as glance at me for the rest of the stop. He never asked me for any sort of ID or ask my name or anything. I got the impression he just wanted to give the ticket for speeding and get on with his day. I have also been a passenger in a car and all of us got pulled out and asked for ID. Both times were before I got my carry permit. I would think if the cop doesn't acknowledge me(being a passenger) then there is no reason to inform him/her. If he/she asks my name or acknowledge's me in any way, I would definitely inform him/her. To me it's the same as just walking by a cop on the street. If they don't acknowledge me in the street then I'm stopping and informing them. If they stop me for any reason then I would inform them.
    Just my opinion.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Just my opinion, but if you are not being addressed by the officer, then there's no reason to say anything. If he asks for your ID too, then you're required to present your CHL, but otherwise, keep your mouth shut until he addresses you.

In NH, you are not required by law to show a LEO your CCW if you are pulled over or otherwise detained. If he asks then it is mandatory as I would imagine it would be in most states.

As far as myself and my wife is concerned, we will both identify to an officer that we have a CCW and that we are armed (If I'm unarmed for whatever reason, I would state such.... but that's a stretch!). I will hand the officer my license along with my CCW permit and also identify what I am carrying and where it is out of respect for the officer and to make sure he/she feels safe. At that point it's up to the officer as to how he/she would like to proceed.

I think it's a courtesy to the LEO to let he/she know that I am carrying and I feel it makes the whole process go smoother and safer for all involved.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Links