BAD: Loaded gun left in car taken....

This is a discussion on BAD: Loaded gun left in car taken.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RAC55 Leaving a firearm in a car locked or unlocked is never a good Idea in these times. To pop a window ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: BAD: Loaded gun left in car taken....

Quote Originally Posted by RAC55 View Post
    Leaving a firearm in a car locked or unlocked is never a good Idea in these times. To pop a window on a locked door is as easy as using your key. We had a Police chief here in Carlisle Pa. had his service weapon stolen out of his unmarked patrol car in his driveway. There was no sign of forced entry. Come to find out that the chief's own son stole the weapon to buy heroin, and he used his dad's key-fob unlocker to get into the car. They arrested the son and the guy he sold the gun to, but it hasn't been found yet. It's probably changed hands 5 times by now....
    Maybe so but when the Government passes a law stating that you cannot take your weapon inside a building what are you to do?

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    There was a recent rash of unlocked car burglaries in my neighborhood a few weeks ago where a loaded pistol was also lost to a criminal. No excuses!

For less than $25 you can buy a lockable, steel gun safe such as the GunVault Nano with a heavy steel security cable. My GV Nano200 will hold a full size service pistol AND a Sig P238. When I have to go places where my weapon is "unwanted", it's in the safe... cabled to a sturdy point.... out of sight... doors locked... alarm set...

... and the loaded mag is in my pocket.

If it's not under my direct control, it's secured... period.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

What everyone said about even unlocked cars is right. Some thieves go to the next car if they find a locked one, some use a screwdriver or dent puller to damage the lock or just break the window to enter. I suggest not only a lock box of some type, but also securing it in the trunk. Extra inconvenience, yes, but every time a firearm is stolen and used in a crime,it affects many gun owners by making everyone look irresponsible. By the way, don't forget to disable the remote trunk latch.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Messed up that the cops are looking to charge the person who brought it to the owner's attention.
    How so? They should of done it in a better way, i.e. one that didn't break any laws.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Messed up that the cops are looking to charge the person who brought it to the owner's attention.
    Bet if I took your vehicle for out for a joyride and returned it the next day with a note on the windshield reminding you not to leave your car unlocked you would want me charged.

Michael

VIP Member

^THE thief^^^^^^^

Who broke in and stole his bullets and relocated his pistol should be charged.

It would be the equivalent of someone going into your unlocked shed or garage, taking your chainsaw, or other deadly tool, removing whatever they felt was deadly about it, and then returning it to you.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I agree. This might have saved someones life. I have a feeling this isn't the first time this man has left his car unlocked with a weapon in it. Someone knew and made a point.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

I agree with those who say the other person should be charged. I know he was just trying to make a point, but what he did was very illegal and potentially dangerous. What if Maisonneuve had needed his gun before he had a chance to retrieve it from his porch? What if the other person accidentally shot himself when he tried to unload it? Also, even if you are inclined to give him a pass on the gun and knife since they were returned, he did not return the ammunition. That is theft, pure and simple.

All in all, this was not the best way (in fact was probably the worst way) to make a point. I hope the other guy is charged.

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    I agree. This might have saved someones life. I have a feeling this isn't the first time this man has left his car unlocked with a weapon in it. Someone knew and made a point.
    So if your intentions are pure you should be able to enter another persons property and steal from them? The end justifies the means? What if next time he enters someones unlocked house and takes any weapons he might find there? For the good of the children that is.

Michael

So the lesson he learned was to not carry a loaded firearm in his car. Okay...just leave a bunch of unloaded firearms in your unlocked car. What a maroon! Maybe he should stay in bed. When I have a loaded firearm, usually out land surveying in the wild, my gun is on my side. I do remove it to go into 7-11 (don't want the attention...so please) it goes under a seat and the damned car is locked up.

Sounds like the guy next door, wife, brother, sister, close friend. Someone knows he does this and doesnt agree with it. Local crime watch person. Who knows Its just not the right way to solve the problem.
    R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links