Help, please! New female CC having problems concealing! - Page 3

Help, please! New female CC having problems concealing!

This is a discussion on Help, please! New female CC having problems concealing! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife carries a S&W 638 in a Remora Holster. I've purchased her several expensive custom IWB holsters and she likes the Remora the best. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Help, please! New female CC having problems concealing!

My wife carries a S&W 638 in a Remora Holster. I've purchased her several expensive custom IWB holsters and she likes the Remora the best. It's infinitely adjustable and she likes how comfortable it is. On a related note, I switched over all of my holsters to Remoras for the same reason.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    You have the Cross Breed holster. I'd try lowering the holster one hole at the rear, and one or even two at the front. That will tuck the gun well down into the wasteband of the pants and pull the grip tighter against your back. I'd also go with the flush magazine instead of the extended one. My wife and I both have P238s for summer carry.

The Belly Band and Remora holsters are also very good suggestions. My sister carries her LCP in a belly band under sweat pants when she is out exercising. Says it works great.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Have you considered wearing a knit cardigan over your blouse? It would still look casual but cover up. Also, babydoll type tops might provide better results. Yes I enjoy fashion. No I am not gay.
    LaraCroft10 and daddysgirl like this.

Some thoughts ...

Quote Originally Posted by SKW View Post
    Is my kant wrong?
    The cant of a holster can help to tuck the butt of the gun in at a different spot/angle, sure. If, for example, you find that a given gun/holster with 0º cant protrudes, a ~15-20º cant might well allow the firearm butt to tuck in more tightly. It'll heavily depend on how closely to your body the holstered gun rides, and where that tucked-in butt will fit in your curves at that spot.

Are my midrise jeans too low?
    Perhaps. Here's the way I think of it, and what I've done in years past in order to find the sweet spot with respect to ride height.

Viewed from behind a person, the sweep of the body's curve from hip to oblique to midriff varies with each person (of course). How far into the curve a given pair of pants allows the tucked-in butt of the gun to ride makes quite a difference. IOW, if your pants are too low, say ankle-rider gang-banger low (we've all seen 'em), then particularly on a female the holstered gun's going to allow the gun butt to protrude way out to the side.

Conversely, at the height where the butt of the gun tucks neatly into that oblique/midriff area curve, you'll find it tends to be far less visible from any angle ... and, it will likely hang up less easily on your clothing. In that sense, yes, height of pants in relation to the curves matter.

A bit too high, and that same tucked-in gun butt'll begin digging into your ribcage.

Too hot ... too cold ... just right. As with anyone carrying a belt-holstered gun, what's "just right" will depend on your specific curves. You'll need to play with jeans of varying heights, to be sure whether it'll make much difference on you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've had similar issues - I'm about the same size I think. Bending at the knees certainly helps. I've gotten in the habit of giving my shirt just a little tug if I feel I need to. I try not to over fidget, but for a woman to smooth out her clothing I don't think is too big a deal. I'm not as worried about it now but when I get out of the car I quickly give a little tug - no big deal. I move my holster around depending on what I want to wear ( I use a Crossbreed Supertuck, with my old gun I had a mini tuck and that was a better female fit IMO). When I wear low rise jeans I get the shirt caught thing more often but they are to me more comfortable. Jeans/shorts that fit at the regular waist work better IMO for concealing but blah... lol I have some jeans that fit that way and I wear them but I don't love them. I do think if I had a better belt that would help - I've looked at some by the Beltman that I love, I'm just saving my pennies. I move my holster depending on what I'm wearing. Some days its closer to my hip, some days it's father away. Appendix carry isn't comfy for me but may work for you. I agree with carrying on body. The other thing I like to wear a lot is a tshirt or tank cut down the center with a thin tank underneath. They work as a great cover garment but aren't so hot and it doesn't get caught as much as a closed tee that's more snug (fits more like a vest). I was looking to see if I had any pics, but the only one I see is in a dress, I think the others are on my desktop.
    aus71383 likes this.

I only had a moment to skim this thread but....

IWB holsters do not lend themselves to female carry very well because, well, it's because of the wonderful difference in the female form.

Unfortunately many types of "strong side" carry don't work well on the female body because the forward cant causes the butt of the firearm to dig into the bottom of the ribcage. IWB is particularly difficult.

Many custom holster makers who make gear specifically for females design holsters with an ever-so-slight rearward cant to allieve this problem.

And again...as with the guys...the foundation of proper belt carry....is a PROPER STURDY GUN BELT.

VIP Member
    Hello and welcome.

There often times is no one perfect holster for every situation or attire. Yep you have to dress around the gun sometimes but that can be made more difficult if you have only one choice in holsters. One thing I did notice was the grips on your 238. Soft rubber grips are designed to be "sticky" so to speak so you can get a good grip but that same feature that makes them desireable also makes them stick to garments depending on the material. I agree with looking at other holsters, adjusting cant and so on but unless you are in love with those grips look at other options. I have had the same issues with rubber or wood grips with very aggressive patterns snagging on clothes, again depending on the material.

My wife also has a 238 but over time I have purchased no less than a dozen holsters to have options for everything. She wears a size 1 low rise jeans so choosing a holster is challenging. As others have stated don't give up, make adjustments and carry on.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Soft rubber grips are designed to be "sticky" so to speak so you can get a good grip but that same feature that makes them desireable also makes them stick to garments depending on the material. I have had the same issues with rubber or wood grips with very aggressive patterns snagging on clothes, again depending on the material.
    Yup.

In the 1990's, I had a Browning BDM 9mm, which had a great "carry melt" style treatment to reduce snagging (hands, clothing) via sharp edges to a minimum. It also had smooth plastic grip panels that were counter-sunk into the frame, making the grips themselves utterly snag-free.

By comparison, on a CZ P-01, I've had carved ebony grips with deep 18 LPI checkering. That checkering would snag on most clothing that had any sort of nap or looser weave to it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I would greatly appreciate your help. I just received my CCDW and am struggling with concealment. I have read countless articles/blogs and watched a lot of videos (Cornered Cat, Packing Pretty, faliaphotography, Lima, obviously this forum, etc.), but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Although my husband is trying to help, his methods don't work for me...we are simply not shaped the same.

Info: woman about 5'6" and 125-130 lb., IWB Old Faithful Holster carried about 4-5 o'clock (Note: I do not want to carry in a purse), Sig Sauer P238 - so no, not even a big gun to be hiding

When I am just standing, my gun and holster are well concealed, but...

My problem is with any type of bending, squatting or reaching. When I do that to any extent the grip appears to protrude straight back, a lot. Then when I straighten back up my shirt is folded over the top of the grip. If all I am doing is walking down the street no one would know I was carrying, but life isn't just about standing upright. There are children to care for, purses to pick up from the floor, groceries to load,...

I understand my wardrobe needs to be CC friendly, but even when I wear something like in a faliaphotography youtube video with a tshirt and black flowy open sweater the grip still protrudes and gets hung up on the clothes so that I have to readjust them.

Please help me figure out how to solve this problem. Is my kant wrong? Are my midrise jeans too low? Please help me!

I don't doubt I can conceal in cooler weather, but until it is time to wear bulky layers I don't know what to do. A thicker sweater vest is out of place in 90 degree weather...

Again, no, I do not want to carry in a purse...I feel strongly about maintaining personal possession of my firearm on my body rather than in a bag I will likely set down somewhere.
    And, yes, I am allowed open carry in this state so printing is not a crime, but my intention is to conceal. I want my printing at an absolute minimum. Unless a person knows me well it is not their business to know if I am carrying.

I'll attach pictures so you can see what I mean by the clothes tucking behind the gun and also so you can see how the set up is on the holster (which is very comfortable BTW). Sorry for the blur...I took the pictures myself from my phone. I don't have a sweater on in the picture but it does the same thing with many of them.
    Attachment 62037Attachment 62038
    One of my carry pieces is a full-size Springfield XD with the factory OWB holster. I've tried a few diferent holsters but the factory holster is a my favorite since it hugs my side (not a fan of IWB); I just wear a t-shirt over it. My right hand has developed the habit of occasionally giving a little tug. It's not an exaggerated movement, just a small tug where the arm hangs.

I've only been carrying for about a month and I had to try pretty much everything in this thread to find what works best for me, lots of good info...
    I still find that my shirts gets stuck like that a lot, but not as bad as your pic shows... Its natural for me to pull down my shirt when getting out of my vehicle, standing up, bending over etc. I've always done it as my shirts tend to ride up (I'm shorter and slightly heavier than you), so now I'm just more aware of it. Depending on the style of pants I'm wearing I have to move my gun between 4-5 to see where it fits better with what I'm wearing, but more effective was a more extreme forward cant and putting the gun lower in my pants. Every time I put on my gun I test by bending over in front of a mirror, adjust, bend, adjust...a most versatile holster I love is the Remora. I also have crossbreed minituck, I have the front clip on the top hole and back clip on the middle hole, so adjust your clips to see what works, I'd try the gun lower in your pants and tilted more toward your hip. Pick up a Remora holster and you won't regret it as its great for the variety of styles women wear.
    Also, I've found its not as noticable that I'm carrying as I feel it is...my bf never knows if I'm carrying and I've carried in front of a bunch of retired cops and military at work and nobody could tell even though they all knew I just got my CCW and was probably carrying...if they couldn't tell then Joe Citizen on the street isn't going to notice.

Welcome and glad to see another lady carrying :thumbup: .
    aus71383 likes this.

I have to say, I sure do like the idea behind the Ramora holsters as well. I might have to get one with a removable thigh strap, so I have more carry options in addition to my other holster... Thank you guys!
    Sig P250 .45 Subcompact
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose,
    is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. ~ L. Neil Smith

First, thank you for the quick responses and show of support as I try to figure this thing out. I really appreciate reading everything people have taken the time to write.

Tacman605 and CCW9mm, good eyes noticing the rubber grips. I forgot to mention those in my post. I had wondered if they were playing a significant role in the bunching of my shirt behind the grip. No, I am not in love with the grips...they just came on my gun. I have been looking at new grips and finally ordered Hogue Rosewood grips last night. Hopefully those will be an improvement. I have small hands so I definitely do not need the fatter grip, and the gun is extremely tame so cushioning is not necessary.

As a matter of further clarification...

1.) I am not interested in appendix carry. I know many people like it. However, I would not feel comfortable doing that, and regardless, I don't have the body shape to fit even my small gun there.
    2.) I actually have a Remora holster that I have been wearing around the house for a couple weeks while waiting for my license to arrive, and yes, I do love it! I can even put it on with yoga pants to lounge around. It will be a great option for me when my wasteband isn't suited for a fixed holster or for when I will need to take the gun in and out a lot during the day when entering places I'm not allowed to carry...easier and more comfortable to remove the gun and Remora to keep it protected then to remove a belted holster. Much as I love my Remora I still also want a fixed holster for better all day / active carry. A woman needs to have options!
    3.) The grip sticking out from my shirt was pretty significant...like another arm growing out of my back. Awkward! I didn't post a picture of it because I couldn't take a picture of myself bending over.

I tried new clip positions last night...moving the holster deeper in my pants, but that only made it harder to get a firm grip on the gun. Today I will try the cant with the front clips low in the pants and the back clips a little higher than front and see what happens.

On a side note (sorry about my unfamiliarity with forum terminology)...where do you go on your account to add a standard quote to the end of all your posts?

First, thank you for the quick responses and show of support as I try to figure this thing out. I really appreciate reading everything people have taken the time to write.

Tacman605 and CCW9mm, good eyes noticing the rubber grips. I forgot to mention those in my post. I had wondered if they were playing a significant role in the bunching of my shirt behind the grip. No, I am not in love with the grips...they just came on my gun. I have been looking at new grips and finally ordered Hogue Rosewood grips last night. Hopefully those will be an improvement. I have small hands so I definitely do not need the fatter grip, and the gun is extremely tame so cushioning is not necessary.

As a matter of further clarification...

1.) I am not interested in appendix carry. I know many people like it. However, I would not feel comfortable doing that, and regardless, I don't have the body shape to fit even my small gun there.
    2.) I actually have a Remora holster that I have been wearing around the house for a couple weeks while waiting for my license to arrive, and yes, I do love it! I can even put it on with yoga pants to lounge around. It will be a great option for me when my wasteband isn't suited for a fixed holster or for when I will need to take the gun in and out a lot during the day when entering places I'm not allowed to carry...easier and more comfortable to remove the gun and Remora to keep it protected then to remove a belted holster. Much as I love my Remora I still also want a fixed holster for better all day / active carry. A woman needs to have options!
    3.) The grip sticking out from my shirt was pretty significant...like another arm growing out of my back. Awkward! I didn't post a picture of it because I couldn't take a picture of myself bending over.

I tried new clip positions last night...moving the holster deeper in my pants, but that only made it harder to get a firm grip on the gun. Today I will try the cant with the front clips low in the pants and the back clips a little higher than front and see what happens.

On a side note (sorry about my unfamiliarity with forum terminology)...where do you go on your account to add a standard quote to the end of all your posts?

Go to Forum Actions then Edit Profile. Note the other changes you can make also.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

This problem isn’t just experienced by females. I haven’t been able to find a holster that provides complete concealment for me either. Even with long sweat-shirts, raising one’s arms will usually let somebody see the butt of the pistol and violate the concealment issue. My brother-in-law travels extensively and never goes anywhere without his fanny pack, so I’m considering that as an alternative. I have enough firepower in the house and only need to carry once I leave my humble abode. When I was snow skiing on a regular basis, the fanny pack was part of my daily attire and can be again. We would ride chair lifts and sit in the cafeteria without any comfort issues. Just a thought…

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links