Help, please! New female CC having problems concealing! - Page 4

Help, please! New female CC having problems concealing!

This is a discussion on Help, please! New female CC having problems concealing! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 5 o'clock should be about right. The holster should be right behind your hip. Cant it forward as much as possible. The holster type does ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Help, please! New female CC having problems concealing!

5 o'clock should be about right. The holster should be right behind your hip. Cant it forward as much as possible. The holster type does make a difference as well. The crossbreed is a deep holster with the combat cut. The secret is get a holster that fits tight to your body, and your hip when you bend, the gun hides. This is because the cant matches the angle of your bend. If you can still see it ( the handle sticks up) the holster has to be deeper or the cant more forward.

Sent via Mental Power

PM me anytime. I've been down the road with SO and carry.

I have been carrying in the Crossbreed Supertuck for almost 2 years with a Glock19 and I have had some of the same issues as you when bending over and such. One thing that I noticed that has been mentioned in this thread before is the bending at the knees. I don't know if you have ever done any sort of weight lifting with a bar or proper air squats but I have found that if you keep you back straight (as you must in those movements) and bend completely at the knees and do a squat to pick things up it helps a lot.
    Also, I have just become accustomed to quietly adjusting my shirt anytime I make a movement that I know will bunch up on the grip. I am addicted to it. I have days at work where I am doing a certain type of work where I can't wear my holster. (I carry a backpack around on these days) but I find myself bending at the knees and adjusting my shirt all day long and then afterwards thinking...Oh, I don't need to to that right now.

There is great advice here, the kangaroo holster is great too, I have one and used it for when I used to Valet Park cars... running, jumping into and out of tall/short cars... very versatile.
    Just know that anything you try will have a certain amount of discomfort before you get used to it. The fact is that you are changing what's on your body and therefore you will have to get used to the change. Just like if you start a construction job you have to get used to wearing this awkward hard-hat ALL DAY. After a little while you forget you have it on and feel lost without it. As of now, I feel naked without my holster and gun. HATE those backpack days. Alls to say--Just don't throw something out the door until you give it a fair chance to become part of your daily routine.

I see a lot of good ideas here. I love these types of threads because they give me a lot of ideas for when I (hopefully) convince my wife to start carrying.

3-3:30 fixes everything with a P238. Forward cant.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmycek View Post
    3-3:30 fixes everything with a P238. Forward cant.
    ^^^^^^^^^ This.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Maybe you're carrying in the wrong position for you body build....

I appendix carry inside waist band in front of my left hip (I'm a lefty). I tried carrying behind my hip in the traditional location, but just couldn't get comfortable with that position. It was very painful to sit and I printed badly.....just didn't like it. Appendix carry can be comfortable especially for a small handgun if you find the location where the pistol slide fits into the crease between your leg and your abdomen (for me about 10:30 or just slightly in front of my front jeans pocket). Personally, I think it's a great location for a woman since the drape of her blouse will cover the stock of a small handgun. If you're new to carrying, you should spend a little time finding that "perfect" location before you invest in an expensive holster. Everyone's body is a little different, but trust me.....there is a perfect carry position for you. Be patient, you'll find what works for you.

I'm a woman, too, and nothing is going to conceal perfectly. Try wearing the CBST with the forward clip just behind the 3 o'clock position. Get the pistol in a 12-15 degree cant and get it tucked in at around 3:30. I can conceal an M&P 9c pretty well. I now have a Side Guard minimal clip that Erik made with around a 12 degree cant--this works very well at 3:30. Good luck and don't give up!

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    Maybe you're carrying in the wrong position for you body build....
    That's the tough part of the equation, and the part that can only be solved via trial-and-error. Everyone's different. It is what it is.

SKW: Hopefully the various suggestions have been helpful, providing some options you can try.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by SKW View Post
    ... good eyes noticing the rubber grips. I forgot to mention those in my post. I had wondered if they were playing a significant role in the bunching of my shirt behind the grip.

... finally ordered Hogue Rosewood grips last night. Hopefully those will be an improvement.
    SKW: Did you get the grips, yet? If so, how is the difference when carrying in the same spot?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Somewhat late to the topic at this point. I'm about your size, 5'5", 130. I carry a Glock 26 IWB at 3:30'with a forward cant. Anything farther back makes the grip stick out too much. If anyone has ever noticed, they did not react. I work as a gardener, so I'm constantly bending and squatting.
    aus71383 likes this.

I know I'm resurrecting an old post, but this was a good read. I just bought the 238 and ordered the same holster today (well, Theis brand, but pretty much the same thing). Your issue is the same thing I've been worried about. Did you ever find anything that works for you?

Thanks to everyone's suggestions - a belly band is the next thing I'm going to buy, and now I think a Remora, too.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

I am doing better with concealing. I have the Old Faithful at the most extreme cant and have moved it closer to the 4-3 position somewhere.

New grips have made a huge difference as well. No more sticking to my clothes!

I have also noticed that the manner in which I bend over makes a difference. Just bending at the waist still makes it stick out slightly but keeping my back straighter as I bend makes it much less noticeable.

Laracoft10, I hope you enjoy your Sig and new holster. I have the Remora as well now and love it...not for everything...I am still a fan of IWB with a good belt for a more sturdy secure carry, but the Remora definitely has its purpose especially when I am just lounging around the house in yoga pants.
    aus71383 likes this.
    "The LORD is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? " Psalm 27:1

Keeping my eternal hope in the LORD while still using the mind He gave me and the tools at my disposal to act with wise judgment...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Take a look at the Kangaroo carry my daughter use one really likes it. Low cost simple and works ,also you can twist it around a bit to better fit you Anything you chose will take time.
    Kangaroo Carry
    I know two that use this also sometimes
    Concealed Carry For Women Bra Holster by Discreet Carry USA - YouTube
    Wow I really like the demo pictures on the kangaroo carry website

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Just a thought, How about a well starched shirt? The extra stiffness will allow it to ride up and down on the gun without the printing, or snagging. My wife adds extra starch to the lower half of my dress shirts. My other favorite cover is a Carhart canvas shirt. Same reason its stiff enough to hold its shape. DR

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links