Help, please! New female CC having problems concealing!

This is a discussion on Help, please! New female CC having problems concealing! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would greatly appreciate your help. I just received my CCDW and am struggling with concealment. I have read countless articles/blogs and watched a lot ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Help, please! New female CC having problems concealing!

I would greatly appreciate your help. I just received my CCDW and am struggling with concealment. I have read countless articles/blogs and watched a lot of videos (Cornered Cat, Packing Pretty, faliaphotography, Lima, obviously this forum, etc.), but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Although my husband is trying to help, his methods don't work for me...we are simply not shaped the same.

Info: woman about 5'6" and 125-130 lb., IWB Old Faithful Holster carried about 4-5 o'clock (Note: I do not want to carry in a purse), Sig Sauer P238 - so no, not even a big gun to be hiding

When I am just standing, my gun and holster are well concealed, but...

My problem is with any type of bending, squatting or reaching. When I do that to any extent the grip appears to protrude straight back, a lot. Then when I straighten back up my shirt is folded over the top of the grip. If all I am doing is walking down the street no one would know I was carrying, but life isn't just about standing upright. There are children to care for, purses to pick up from the floor, groceries to load,...

I understand my wardrobe needs to be CC friendly, but even when I wear something like in a faliaphotography youtube video with a tshirt and black flowy open sweater the grip still protrudes and gets hung up on the clothes so that I have to readjust them.

Please help me figure out how to solve this problem. Is my kant wrong? Are my midrise jeans too low? Please help me!

I don't doubt I can conceal in cooler weather, but until it is time to wear bulky layers I don't know what to do. A thicker sweater vest is out of place in 90 degree weather...

Again, no, I do not want to carry in a purse...I feel strongly about maintaining personal possession of my firearm on my body rather than in a bag I will likely set down somewhere.
    And, yes, I am allowed open carry in this state so printing is not a crime, but my intention is to conceal. I want my printing at an absolute minimum. Unless a person knows me well it is not their business to know if I am carrying.

I'll attach pictures so you can see what I mean by the clothes tucking behind the gun and also so you can see how the set up is on the holster (which is very comfortable BTW). Sorry for the blur...I took the pictures myself from my phone. I don't have a sweater on in the picture but it does the same thing with many of them.
    004.jpg005.jpg

Doesn't look so bad to me. I am frequently making sure my shirt tail is straight. Every time I get out of the car or bend over or whatever, I'm conscious of my shirt and how it is laying straight. I can also feel the grip on my back and try to keep a posture that I can feel it touching me all of the time. I think it's when the grip rides away from your back that the shirt or sweater can fall into that space.

VIP Member
    Have you tried repositioning to the 3:00-3:30 position? I find that works best for me, you might also want to go with a 15 degree forward cant, to pull the grip in and forward.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SKW View Post
    I would greatly appreciate your help. I just received my CCDW and am struggling with concealment. I have read countless articles/blogs and watched a lot of videos (Cornered Cat, Packing Pretty, faliaphotography, Lima, obviously this forum, etc.), but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Although my husband is trying to help, his methods don't work for me...we are simply not shaped the same.

Info: woman about 5'6" and 125-130 lb., IWB Old Faithful Holster carried about 4-5 o'clock (Note: I do not want to carry in a purse), Sig Sauer P238 - so no, not even a big gun to be hiding

When I am just standing, my gun and holster are well concealed, but...

My problem is with any type of bending, squatting or reaching. When I do that to any extent the grip appears to protrude straight back, a lot. Then when I straighten back up my shirt is folded over the top of the grip. If all I am doing is walking down the street no one would know I was carrying, but life isn't just about standing upright. There are children to care for, purses to pick up from the floor, groceries to load,...

I understand my wardrobe needs to be CC friendly, but even when I wear something like in a faliaphotography youtube video with a tshirt and black flowy open sweater the grip still protrudes and gets hung up on the clothes so that I have to readjust them.

Please help me figure out how to solve this problem. Is my kant wrong? Are my midrise jeans too low? Please help me!

I don't doubt I can conceal in cooler weather, but until it is time to wear bulky layers I don't know what to do. A thicker sweater vest is out of place in 90 degree weather...

Again, no, I do not want to carry in a purse...I feel strongly about maintaining personal possession of my firearm on my body rather than in a bag I will likely set down somewhere.
    And, yes, I am allowed open carry in this state so printing is not a crime, but my intention is to conceal. I want my printing at an absolute minimum. Unless a person knows me well it is not their business to know if I am carrying.

I'll attach pictures so you can see what I mean by the clothes tucking behind the gun and also so you can see how the set up is on the holster (which is very comfortable BTW). Sorry for the blur...I took the pictures myself from my phone. I don't have a sweater on in the picture but it does the same thing with many of them.
    004.jpg005.jpg

I'm inclined to say that the holster either needs to go more forward or more to the rear to get the grip out of that spot. As for bending, bend at the knees, not at the waist and learn to reach with your left hand.

The can't will need to be a little more severe if you move the holster more to the rear, at it is right now you should be ok to move it forward.

As for the jeans, the mid rise should be OK for that carry combo etc.

Take a look at the Kangaroo carry my daughter use one really likes it. Low cost simple and works ,also you can twist it around a bit to better fit you Anything you chose will take time.
    Kangaroo Carry
    I know two that use this also sometimes
    Concealed Carry For Women Bra Holster by Discreet Carry USA - YouTube

I think you will find the carrying it at at 1:30 or 2 o'clock will conceal incredible and it gives you many benefits but you do need a very comfortable gun holster

I see what you mean... What about getting a few good looking cardigans. You can get cardigans that are thin or very coarse woven material and have no sleeves. That should be OK for the summer and also look pretty good.

Can you lift up the shirt in the back so it's easier to see what your setup looks like? I also have a kydex/leather IWB holster similar to yours, but my clips are completely adjusted and not in their "original" position anymore as in the second picture (I don't know if you've adjusted the clips since you took that picture). I have my gun at about 4 to 5 o'clock, but when I adjusted it I loosened the clip screws and moved the gun/holster around until it conformed best to by body and I felt that I could draw comfortably and naturally. Then carefully unclip the holster from your belt and retighten the screws. Took me a while to get mine adjusted the way I wanted it.

I also got a magazine holster from the same material that I carry on my other side, which evens out the look and is more comfortable while driving. I drive a long ways to and from work each day and that minimizes backpain from twisting your hip with a gun on one side and nothing on the other.
    Sig P250 .45 Subcompact
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose,
    is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. ~ L. Neil Smith

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Have you tried repositioning to the 3:00-3:30 position? I find that works best for me, you might also want to go with a 15 degree forward cant, to pull the grip in and forward.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    woodsong and nerdyvirgin like this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs up

Good suggestions so far.

There are a couple things you can do that might possibly help you.

1. Appendix carry. Not as comfortable when you bend over, but less obvious.

2. The post about bending at the knees and keeping a very straight back is also a great idea.

3. You could try a bra holster. Quite frankly this works well for women with big boobs that can cover up the gun, not so well if they are smaller.

I do not think any kind of 3:00 carry will work well for you because you are a woman and you have hips. This tend to be a a great method of carry for men and an awful one for women.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

SKW,

Please don’t take this in ANY way sexist, but yes, by virtue of your post it is. Sex is the key. However, for many males, the same holds true.

First of all, your holster, in my opinion is totally wrong. Sorry. Regardless of the tightness of the belt you are wearing, even if you are topless ,more on that in a minute, the butt of the gun will ALWAYS stand proud in any position other than standing straight up. The reason for this is that the butt of the gun NOT parallel, or close to parallel, to the spine. The cure for this is an SOB (Small of the Back) holster worn in the same position you are wearing now. The SOB actually presents the butt of the gun at a MUCH more favorable angle to the wrist when drawing, and with the butt nearly following the spine, may not even print at all, very little if any when sitting/squatting etc. However, the SOB is OWB and needs a good firm belt. I know that’s not in keeping with female vanity. The SOB also is not for Open Carry.

Back to my topless comment. Numerous considerations need be considered here.

BRA. Regardless of cup size, the bra size needs consideration. Whatever the size, at the fullest point on the bust line, the top garment should fall STRAIGHT down from the fullest part of the bust line all around the entire top garment. Sadly, this usually means a man’s top garment, but they can be had in women’s sizes. No bust pleats. The length of the top garment is what works for you.

Bottom line. Forget female vanity. You are on another level. Attire may need considerable thought. Carry method, at least for now, needs a considerable rethink.

Chris

Obviously I have no idea what your style is but here are some ideas found using google:

CHARLOTTE TARANTOLA Black Style # 60118 Sleeveless Cardigan Sweater Size M EUC on eBay!

ONE 7 SIX Gray Sleeveless Cardigan Sweater Style # 8401 Size M L New | eBay

So cardigans can be modern, too. Try a "sleeveless cardigan" google image search.
    Sig P250 .45 Subcompact
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose,
    is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. ~ L. Neil Smith

Is your shirt catching on the stippling on the grip?
    I'm a guy but I am in the habit of pulling down my shirt while spreading out the bottom whenever I stand up or get out of my car.
    nedrgr21 likes this.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Women are indeed different

When carrying behind the strong side hip, bending forward will cause the grip to protrude. This is common, so kneel or squat instead of bending.

If you move the gun in front of your hip it it digs into the groin when bending forward for most folks.

One solution is a straight draw worn at waist level -not hip huggers -, 9 o'clock position, cross draw style. The butt of the gun will blend in with the bustline and be easy to reach.

Concealment is achieved by wearing a color coordinated camisole/ t-shirt under an unbuttoned/ partially unbuttoned shirt/ blouse. This method works for my 5' 0" petite wife and 5' 9" full figured friend.

Consider FIST holsters http://www.fist-inc OWB #9 pancake (wife's preference ordered straight draw for a 3" S&W J-frame) and IWB #1 straight draw (friends preference for a Sig P238). FIST has a number of other styles to look at - most can be ordered straight draw. Ken Null's Gibralter http://www.klnullholsters.com in straight draw is also excellent.

There are pros and cons to both strong side and cross draw. The pros of something you can do outweigh the pros of that which you cannot do.

Sorry that I am posting another post in this thread again already... Regarding Varmiter's note on gun belts not looking really all that pretty for women, I have found a solution for myself for that as well . I have a gunbelt with exchangable belt buckles, so they look more feminine. Theere is a TON of variety on really cool, modern belt buckles on etsy.

Here a couple examples:
    il_570xN_340097532.jpg
    il_570xN_357296881_m3gk.jpg
    Belt Buckles and Belts for Women & Men Wearable by MnMTreasures

These two I actually made myself:
    IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    Sig P250 .45 Subcompact

I have similar issues with my shirt sometimes. Being a male I can't offer you a ton of advise. But i would try a different position with the gun.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links