Defensive Carry banner

Help, please! New female CC having problems concealing!

10K views 60 replies 48 participants last post by  aus71383 
#1 ·
I would greatly appreciate your help. I just received my CCDW and am struggling with concealment. I have read countless articles/blogs and watched a lot of videos (Cornered Cat, Packing Pretty, faliaphotography, Lima, obviously this forum, etc.), but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Although my husband is trying to help, his methods don't work for me...we are simply not shaped the same.

Info: woman about 5'6" and 125-130 lb., IWB Old Faithful Holster carried about 4-5 o'clock (Note: I do not want to carry in a purse), Sig Sauer P238 - so no, not even a big gun to be hiding

When I am just standing, my gun and holster are well concealed, but...

My problem is with any type of bending, squatting or reaching. When I do that to any extent the grip appears to protrude straight back, a lot. Then when I straighten back up my shirt is folded over the top of the grip. If all I am doing is walking down the street no one would know I was carrying, but life isn't just about standing upright. There are children to care for, purses to pick up from the floor, groceries to load,...

I understand my wardrobe needs to be CC friendly, but even when I wear something like in a faliaphotography youtube video with a tshirt and black flowy open sweater the grip still protrudes and gets hung up on the clothes so that I have to readjust them.

Please help me figure out how to solve this problem. Is my kant wrong? Are my midrise jeans too low? Please help me!

I don't doubt I can conceal in cooler weather, but until it is time to wear bulky layers I don't know what to do. A thicker sweater vest is out of place in 90 degree weather...

Again, no, I do not want to carry in a purse...I feel strongly about maintaining personal possession of my firearm on my body rather than in a bag I will likely set down somewhere.
And, yes, I am allowed open carry in this state so printing is not a crime, but my intention is to conceal. I want my printing at an absolute minimum. Unless a person knows me well it is not their business to know if I am carrying.

I'll attach pictures so you can see what I mean by the clothes tucking behind the gun and also so you can see how the set up is on the holster (which is very comfortable BTW). Sorry for the blur...I took the pictures myself from my phone. I don't have a sweater on in the picture but it does the same thing with many of them.
Arm Hand Room Jeans Bathroom
Handgun holster Gun accessory

See less See more
#2 ·
Doesn't look so bad to me. I am frequently making sure my shirt tail is straight. Every time I get out of the car or bend over or whatever, I'm conscious of my shirt and how it is laying straight. I can also feel the grip on my back and try to keep a posture that I can feel it touching me all of the time. I think it's when the grip rides away from your back that the shirt or sweater can fall into that space.

#4 ·
I would greatly appreciate your help. I just received my CCDW and am struggling with concealment. I have read countless articles/blogs and watched a lot of videos (Cornered Cat, Packing Pretty, faliaphotography, Lima, obviously this forum, etc.), but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Although my husband is trying to help, his methods don't work for me...we are simply not shaped the same.

Info: woman about 5'6" and 125-130 lb., IWB Old Faithful Holster carried about 4-5 o'clock (Note: I do not want to carry in a purse), Sig Sauer P238 - so no, not even a big gun to be hiding

My problem is with any type of bending, squatting or reaching. When I do that to any extent the grip appears to protrude straight back, a lot. Then when I straighten back up my shirt is folded over the top of the grip. If all I am doing is walking down the street no one would know I was carrying, but life isn't just about standing upright. There are children to care for, purses to pick up from the floor, groceries to load,...

I understand my wardrobe needs to be CC friendly, but even when I wear something like in a faliaphotography youtube video with a tshirt and black flowy open sweater the grip still protrudes and gets hung up on the clothes so that I have to readjust them.

Please help me figure out how to solve this problem. Is my kant wrong? Are my midrise jeans too low? Please help me!

I don't doubt I can conceal in cooler weather, but until it is time to wear bulky layers I don't know what to do. A thicker sweater vest is out of place in 90 degree weather...

Again, no, I do not want to carry in a purse...I feel strongly about maintaining personal possession of my firearm on my body rather than in a bag I will likely set down somewhere.
And, yes, I am allowed open carry in this state so printing is not a crime, but my intention is to conceal. I want my printing at an absolute minimum. Unless a person knows me well it is not their business to know if I am carrying.

I'll attach pictures so you can see what I mean by the clothes tucking behind the gun and also so you can see how the set up is on the holster (which is very comfortable BTW). Sorry for the blur...I took the pictures myself from my phone. I don't have a sweater on in the picture but it does the same thing with many of them.
View attachment 62037 View attachment 62038

I'm inclined to say that the holster either needs to go more forward or more to the rear to get the grip out of that spot. As for bending, bend at the knees, not at the waist and learn to reach with your left hand.

The can't will need to be a little more severe if you move the holster more to the rear, at it is right now you should be ok to move it forward.

As for the jeans, the mid rise should be OK for that carry combo etc.

#5 ·
#7 ·
I see what you mean... What about getting a few good looking cardigans. You can get cardigans that are thin or very coarse woven material and have no sleeves. That should be OK for the summer and also look pretty good.

Can you lift up the shirt in the back so it's easier to see what your setup looks like? I also have a kydex/leather IWB holster similar to yours, but my clips are completely adjusted and not in their "original" position anymore as in the second picture (I don't know if you've adjusted the clips since you took that picture). I have my gun at about 4 to 5 o'clock, but when I adjusted it I loosened the clip screws and moved the gun/holster around until it conformed best to by body and I felt that I could draw comfortably and naturally. Then carefully unclip the holster from your belt and retighten the screws. Took me a while to get mine adjusted the way I wanted it.

I also got a magazine holster from the same material that I carry on my other side, which evens out the look and is more comfortable while driving. I drive a long ways to and from work each day and that minimizes backpain from twisting your hip with a gun on one side and nothing on the other.

#9 ·
Good suggestions so far.

There are a couple things you can do that might possibly help you.

1. Appendix carry. Not as comfortable when you bend over, but less obvious.

2. The post about bending at the knees and keeping a very straight back is also a great idea.

3. You could try a bra holster. Quite frankly this works well for women with big boobs that can cover up the gun, not so well if they are smaller.

I do not think any kind of 3:00 carry will work well for you because you are a woman and you have hips. This tend to be a a great method of carry for men and an awful one for women.

#10 ·
SKW,

Please don’t take this in ANY way sexist, but yes, by virtue of your post it is. Sex is the key. However, for many males, the same holds true.

First of all, your holster, in my opinion is totally wrong. Sorry. Regardless of the tightness of the belt you are wearing, even if you are topless ,more on that in a minute, the butt of the gun will ALWAYS stand proud in any position other than standing straight up. The reason for this is that the butt of the gun NOT parallel, or close to parallel, to the spine. The cure for this is an SOB (Small of the Back) holster worn in the same position you are wearing now. The SOB actually presents the butt of the gun at a MUCH more favorable angle to the wrist when drawing, and with the butt nearly following the spine, may not even print at all, very little if any when sitting/squatting etc. However, the SOB is OWB and needs a good firm belt. I know that’s not in keeping with female vanity. The SOB also is not for Open Carry.

Back to my topless comment. Numerous considerations need be considered here.

BRA. Regardless of cup size, the bra size needs consideration. Whatever the size, at the fullest point on the bust line, the top garment should fall STRAIGHT down from the fullest part of the bust line all around the entire top garment. Sadly, this usually means a man’s top garment, but they can be had in women’s sizes. No bust pleats. The length of the top garment is what works for you.

Bottom line. Forget female vanity. You are on another level. Attire may need considerable thought. Carry method, at least for now, needs a considerable rethink.

Chris

#24 ·
The cure for this is an SOB (Small of the Back) holster worn in the same position you are wearing now. The SOB actually presents the butt of the gun at a MUCH more favorable angle to the wrist when drawing, and with the butt nearly following the spine, may not even print at all, very little if any when sitting/squatting etc. However, the SOB is OWB and needs a good firm belt. I know that’s not in keeping with female vanity.
But then you run into the known issues with SOB carry. Those being A. the risk for lower spine injury in a fall, B. the tendency for the gun to 'clunk' on things when sitting down, C. the way your gun can snag on the back of a chair, especially a folding chair, when standing up , D. the difficulty of sitting comfortably, especially in a car with anything approximating bucket seats, and E. the fact that bulges are most noticeable at the small of the back, where the drape of most clothing lies flattest on the body.

varmiter said:
BRA. Regardless of cup size, the bra size needs consideration. Whatever the size, at the fullest point on the bust line, the top garment should fall STRAIGHT down from the fullest part of the bust line all around the entire top garment. Sadly, this usually means a man’s top garment, but they can be had in women’s sizes. No bust pleats. The length of the top garment is what works for you.
Without underpleats, the drape of a blouse can be used to conceal well at 2:00.

#11 ·
#13 ·
Women are indeed different

When carrying behind the strong side hip, bending forward will cause the grip to protrude. This is common, so kneel or squat instead of bending.

If you move the gun in front of your hip it it digs into the groin when bending forward for most folks.

One solution is a straight draw worn at waist level -not hip huggers -, 9 o'clock position, cross draw style. The butt of the gun will blend in with the bustline and be easy to reach.

Concealment is achieved by wearing a color coordinated camisole/ t-shirt under an unbuttoned/ partially unbuttoned shirt/ blouse. This method works for my 5' 0" petite wife and 5' 9" full figured friend.

Consider FIST holsters http://www.fist-inc OWB #9 pancake (wife's preference ordered straight draw for a 3" S&W J-frame) and IWB #1 straight draw (friends preference for a Sig P238). FIST has a number of other styles to look at - most can be ordered straight draw. Ken Null's Gibralter http://www.klnullholsters.com in straight draw is also excellent.

There are pros and cons to both strong side and cross draw. The pros of something you can do outweigh the pros of that which you cannot do.

#14 ·
Sorry that I am posting another post in this thread again already... Regarding Varmiter's note on gun belts not looking really all that pretty for women, I have found a solution for myself for that as well :tongue:. I have a gunbelt with exchangable belt buckles, so they look more feminine. Theere is a TON of variety on really cool, modern belt buckles on etsy.

Here a couple examples:
Metal Brass Auto part Bronze Fashion accessory

Fashion accessory Jewellery Pendant Brooch Hair accessory

Belt Buckles and Belts for Women & Men Wearable by MnMTreasures

These two I actually made myself:
Fashion accessory Jewellery Silver Metal Silver

Fashion accessory Jewellery Brooch Metal Hair accessory

#16 ·

View attachment 62037 View attachment 62038
The wimmin folk I know that carry on a regular basis either purse carry(which you, for good reason, aren't interested in) or appendix carry. In the picture it appears you're wearing the gun closer to the SOB position, but anything behind the 4:00 position will cause the same shirt trapping that you describe after you bend over and stand back up.

I would think appendix IWB would probably be your best option. Good luck.

#17 ·
Several have pointed out the importance of carry position, so try different positions for carry. Vary the degree the gun is canted in the holster - a 15 degree forward may work well. May also have to try different holsters. Some shops will let you try the holster in the store before buying.

#18 ·
Most everyone has that sort of issue from time to time, if challenged by carry position, movement that prints, tight clothing that doesn't billow around the shape of the firearm, or clothing that doesn't otherwise disguise the firearm via pattern/texture/color. You'll need to figure out the combination that works.

If you find your clothing continually "sticking" as in the photo, consider the suggestions that many others have made regarding position on the hip. 5 o'clock is fine, but it means the butt protrudes where it does. Changing that to appendix carry, or to somewhere between 3 and 4 o'clock might improve things.

As well, consider larger, more-billowing, patterned shirts/blouses, possibly of different color choices. (In my experience, it's the flat-colored, medium-dark choices that seem to bring out the shape shadows most prominently. YMMV, but that photo shows it pretty clearly.) Not all body shapes/sizes take to another couple of angular inches above the beltline with the same clothing. Many of us have made some adjustments as to which clothing works best with the carry method and gun/holster in question.

If nothing else seems to work, consider a covering garment (ie, a vest, light jacket, or similar) that'll help cover the shape and protrusions that inevitably occur from time to time.

#19 ·
My sweetie went through half a dozen holsters in various positions and then she tried a Remora IWB for her Sig P238, in the 2:00-2:30 position, canted forward a few degrees.
She's absolutely delighted with her P238 AND the Remora holster. She says it's by far the most comfortable of all the others she's tried and it stays put, even without a belt... which is a big plus, as many of the clothing options for women don't seem to accommodate belts.

After she expressed how much she loved the Remora, I tried hers with my own P238 and sunnuvagun she was right! I carry mine in the very same way every day... IWB at 2:30 and it's great. It stays where I put it, even if I'm just wearing draw-string sweats for an evening walk.

This is what we're both using:
https://www.remoraholsterstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Series-2-RFT
Both with the "sweat shield" option and both with the "LaserGuard" option since we both have Crimson Trace LaserGuards on our P238's.

At 35 bucks +S/H it's a bargain and worth trying... and if you don't like it I'm sure someone will buy it from you :)

Best of luck and welcome to the group!

#20 ·
I can relate while not female am small 130 lbs,dont have quite that large a pistol but any the handle tends to print in say a t shirt and shorts,Pt22 fat lil handle Tagua IWB worn over wallet,even more comfortable with more tilt and less printing is a pocket holster with velcro sticks to shorts and t shirt better than a pocket and does not come out with the gun.
Thats a nice rig you have pistol and holster however like clothes must fit the person,I didnt alter any of my wardrobe,you shouldnt much either when finding the right holster for it,worn with more cant around 1 oclock or so,experiment.Also a simple uncle mikes while cheap isnt quite as hot as leather nor weighs as much.Simple blouse over that covers it should suffice when you have the right rig,and feel comfortable.
Do I feel safe with my 22 cal ,feel better anyway as left the 45 in the truck as needs a set of wheels.Training is a part thereof thereafter and if its catching on something wrong place or wrong method lift with hand and bring out or lift other hand then get gun with good hand bit more tell tale,but effective.
Ps I carry more than one peashooter one for good hand one elsewhere for weak hand,in a small of back if someone grabs you from behind hard to get the thing out and not shoot yourself.
You might even consider open disguised carry they have notebook holsters .I use a Bushnell pouch with a top cover velcro at times no one notices.

#22 ·
Like you, I carry a P238 and I found the Crossbreed IWB didn't work that well for me. It definitely prints more than some of my other holsters.With your body type I'd recommend a belly band. I use the Galco flesh colored model and it is perfect for small flat semis. There are several holster pockets in each band, so you can try carrying in nearly any position (canted, vertical, crossdraw, behind your hip, appendix, etc). No gun belt needed!:smile:
UNDERWRAPS BELLY BAND

I find that the belly band holds the P238 totally flat against my torso. I use the appendix position. You can't wear skin tight spandex tops with it, but it conceals well with somewhat fitted tops like the one you're wearing in your photos. It even has pockets for spare mags and keys. I think it doesn't get recommended very much because it may not work well for those who are carrying extra weight around their midsection.

The Remora IWB holster is another comfortable and versatile option. Good luck!

#23 ·
Appendix carry

For a small, short barrel gun like your Sig P238, I advocate appendix carry. This hides the gun better than hip carry and is a quick spot to draw from. I use the Comp-Tax 2 O'clock appendix holster for two different guns, a Kahr MK9 and a S&W J frame revolver. I think your P238 would conceal easily in this position.

#25 ·
Help, please! New female CC having problems concealing!
So.....you're new to being female? Have hips? My ex used to carry around five o'clock with a High Noon Bare Asset and G26.
You can do anything you set your mind to do. Problems usually relate to experience, and in the end there are no real problems if you wish to carry all of the time. Thinking outside the box is quite fashionable these days.

#26 ·
I think some others have it figured it out. Move your holster forward, and try a different cant. Don't give up. Keep your holster and just experiment with positioning. Doesn't cost anything, and you can most likely find a solution. Lotsa good advice here.

#28 ·
I'm a woman, same height and weight. I'm finding that appendix carry is ideal for me to avoid the same situation that you're writing about. I hope that you find a solution that works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.