VIDEO: SHOOTING: Empire State Bldg + Legal Question of Wounding Bystanders "?"

This is a discussion on VIDEO: SHOOTING: Empire State Bldg + Legal Question of Wounding Bystanders "?" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Video of today's shooting by Police of fleeing man who just killed another, in front of Empire State Bldg. Video - Breaking News Videos from ...

Video of today's shooting by Police of fleeing man who just killed another, in front of Empire State Bldg.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

My question: The man had turned and either began firing or was pointing his .45acp pistol at 2 police officers (terrorist-police) and he was about to fire right at them. Their lives at stake the officers shot him, 9 others I believe were wounded from bullets flying around though none seriously and it is believed some or all wounds to others came from police bullets. But ballistic investigation has just begun so no sure answers to that. No one has suggested anything about these officers being wrong for the wounding of others besides the felon and the Mayor and others referred to them and a civilian as heroes (The civilian courageously followed the gunman after the he killed a co-worker, then told the two police outside the Emp. St. Bldg and they took over - following someone you just saw shoot someone in the head with a 45 is indeed courageous.)

If it was officers' bullets, I know they were in the immediate act of saving their lives and I don't blame them at all for firing. What else can they do, die? But as civilians we would be held accountable for each of our rounds, and have to pay the piper if innocents were shot. Now, is that true and LEOs have not the same legal obligation in a grave emergency?, or is that we would also be "forgiven" if the same situation happened to us in a shooting?

I'm confused. Any help on this?

Discussion on NYC Empire State Bldg shooting already running: here.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links