concealment versus ease of use

This is a discussion on concealment versus ease of use within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Welcome to the forum. To answer the title of you post, yes there is a balance between concealment and speed of draw. Is one more ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: concealment versus ease of use

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

To answer the title of you post, yes there is a balance between concealment and speed of draw. Is one more important than the other? It all depends on the situation you are in at the moment.

I can conceal any of my firearms pretty much so as you would probably have to do a half baked strip search to find them, but could I get to them fast enough to same my life? Not hardly. I can position my carry gun so I can draw and fire in under 2 seconds but obviously it would not be as concealed. You have to find that balance that works for your lifestyle and threat level so to speak.

As others have stated your choice of holsters is not the best. There are several holster makers that have the clip style attachment that you like. One other thing that may help is remember to dress around the gun/holster that you are wearing. Everyone is built different so what works for them may not work for you even with the same gun/holster combo.

I carry in different ways while I am home. IWB, AIWB and OWB. It all depends on what I am doing or where I am going. More and more I am carrying AIWB as my shoulders simply do not move the way they used to. It has gotten to the point that I could not reach around to draw my weapon with my weak hand if I had to so I simply adapted. When carrying strong side I have a BUG on my weak side but with AIWB I have no issues with reaching the gun and to me it is easier to protect in the event of a physical confrontation but I have built up quite a holster collection so I have one for each way that I carry.

Shop around and you will find different holsters. Go to a decent gunshop and see if they, with an unloaded gun, test fit them and see how them feel. Make sure you wear whatever it is you wear everyday do not change up or do something different from your everyday carry gear.

Personally I like the Galco J Hooks. They are simple, direct and to the point. They do however require you where a belt but I believe the make a model with a clip instead. Just keep experimenting and you will come up with the combination that works for you.
    sensei2 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

i'm not a belt man, but maybe i need to become one? any iwb holsters that don't need a belt.?

Quote Originally Posted by erdocsg View Post
    The reason i picked 'uncle mikes' or blackhawk is that i like the IWB and its a clip... are there other clips that are IWB?
    Plenty.

Many holster makers have some choice of attachment types (leather snap loop, fat/wide clips, j-clips).

Check the Site Sponsors list for several who do: click.

Or, one of the many holster makers out there. Such as ...

Galco, Kramer, Mitch Rosen, Ugly Bald Guy, Fist, Wild Bill's Concealment, SideGuard, Ryan Grizzle, and many others.

i'm not a belt man, but maybe i need to become one? any iwb holsters that don't need a belt.?
    IMO, it's tough to keep a holstered firearm in proper position for an effective and consistent draw without a decent belt. I suppose a holster will clip onto a draw-string, elastic band or other comparatively weak attachment point, but it'll likely be less effective.
    erdocsg likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Here's a thread on the question of using a IWB/clip holster without a belt: click.

A <search> might find you additional discussions.
    erdocsg likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If I can't get a firing grip, I don't use the holster. Someone mentioned Brommeland, that is one seriously awesome holster. You could go with any of the hybrid designs as they are almost all adjustable for height and cant so you can get it just right. I've had a Galco king tuck for almost 2 years now and it is my go to when I need deeper concealment. It can be made to go deep in the waistline, yet still allow for a proper grip.

sgb
    The reason i picked 'uncle mikes' or blackhawk is that i like the IWB and its a clip... are there other clips that are IWB?
    The single clip on style holster are not the most secure, stable or comfortable IWB holsters available, they're generally popular because they're relatively cheap and easy on/off....

You should look into the makers who offer a dual strap design which better stabilizes the firearm and spreads out the weight.

multistage likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

SGB looks like he's building a damn fine holster. Might get ahold of him.

You really need a first rate holster and belt. That's part of the game. The Versa Max style of holsters are, in my opinion, the best for construction, stability, concealment, and ease of draw.

Accessibility will ALWAYS beat concealment. If you fumble the draw when you need it, you will be royally...well, you get the idea.

I usually carry IWB. I keep going back and forth between two holsters. One provides good concealment and less imprinting because the firearm sits deep in the holster, and the butt sits close to the top of my pants, this is part of the problem, as it makes it a little difficult to draw quickly ( due to the butt's location) this is the blackhawk IWB size 6. . The other holster carries the weapon higher, but therefore imprints more and feel a little less mentally comfortable because it sits higher.(Uncle mikes size 16)
    both are "uncle mike's holsters". thoughts?
    I usually carry M&Pcompact 9mm
    I always have thoughts.
    IMO......you can find the best of both giving some time and experience. A compromise will always be a compromise.
    Keywords in your OP....."problem"........"difficult"........"mental ly".
    None of these things will work in your favor for best CC. I'm telling you that you're putting yourself in a box that you shouldn't be in. Concealment and ease of use should be one.......not a "versus" anything. Compromise is compromise......to me....that's way less than it should be. Gambling is not my thing.
    For what it's worth.
    Find what works best for you and stop the competition before it begins....in your mind. Your mind is the most powerful weapon you have.......whether you're armed or not.
    sensei2 likes this.

My choice is the Sneaky Pete OWB "I-pad" type holster for my PT709 Slim. Best of both worlds - concealed but outside the clothing and very quick access. The large outer flap has two magnetic latches, so easy to open...and you don't have to wear "special" clothes to hide it.

SneakPete_PT709Slim_Closed-FrontView-small.JPG SneakPete_PT709Slim_SideOpen-small.JPG

Look at a UBGholsters.com, , and go ahead an look at the gun blets also, it all works togather, i refuse to put a 700 dollar gun in a 15 dollar holster and wear it on a wal mart belt, if you want to conceal it, and have it easily accessible, your gonna have to invest a little money, but believe me, it is money well spent.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

not to harp on you but get a better holster. I have Uncle Mikes/Blackhawk holsters but pretty much use them for storage not carry. For carry I prefer good leather.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links