concealment versus ease of use

This is a discussion on concealment versus ease of use within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually carry IWB. I keep going back and forth between two holsters. One provides good concealment and less imprinting because the firearm sits deep ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: concealment versus ease of use

I usually carry IWB. I keep going back and forth between two holsters. One provides good concealment and less imprinting because the firearm sits deep in the holster, and the butt sits close to the top of my pants, this is part of the problem, as it makes it a little difficult to draw quickly ( due to the butt's location) this is the blackhawk IWB size 6. . The other holster carries the weapon higher, but therefore imprints more and feel a little less mentally comfortable because it sits higher.(Uncle mikes size 16)
    both are "uncle mike's holsters". thoughts?
    I usually carry M&Pcompact 9mm

Depends on how important it is for you to not be "made". I would recommend getting a better quality holster than an Uncle Mike's for EDC, though.
    9mmHP and JerryMac like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Holsters and tattoos, in my experience, have much in common: good ones are not cheap, and cheap ones are not good. Here is what I use, and recommend: The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube
    It conceals perfectly with a 20-degree forward cant, and is quickly and easily accessable for speed of draw.
    Bad Bob and tacman605 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

IMHO, ease of access trumps being fully concealed, check your states laws though as in some places printing can be considered a form of brandishing. Ideally I would like no one to know that I am carrying AND have easy access to my firearm. However, you must realize that people don't see what they are not looking for. You could be blatantly printing and no one would notice because people are not paying attention most of the time. But, again, that is my opinion.

VIP Member
    JMO, but Uncle Mike holsters, regardless of what they may say, are not designed for conceal carry. They are fine for field or range use, but do not have the support needed for concealment. You need a holster/belt combination that will pull the gun into the body and support it. There are good holsters that will do this for you on the market, without breaking the budget. Look at the Galco line, or Tucker Gun Leather holsters.
    Bad Bob and First Sgt like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I used to think that the gun was the investment. The gun is just the operating system, ammo, mags, a good holster can easily cost as much as the initial purchase of the gun. My S&W Model 13 3" was bought for the whopping price of $250, A good holster and belt combo can cost that much.

A secure/safe holster is #1, but if it does not conceal well you will not use it. As far as ease of access, you can practice.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I tend to base more on ease of use than ultimate concealment. I try to avoid constant, obvious printing but I don't get overly hung up on it. I think many of us feel that the general public is as aware of our carrying as we are, when in reality most people we encounter are too busy looking at their phones to notice anything around them.

Sure, most of us on this forum have seen someone in public and are able to tell that person was carrying, but I don't think many of the non-carrying population are looking that hard. Likewise, I'm not sure that all that many care. We just hear a lot from the ignorant people that do care what we are doing for some reason or another.

Basically, my main objective is to be able to carry all day long without discomfort and not have whatever I'm carrying hanging out the bottom of my shirt anytime I raise my arms for one reason or another.

sent via iCarry

sgb
    Ditch the Uncle Mikes and step up to a quality Maker. As Mike1956 said "good ones are not cheap, and cheap ones are not good".
    tacman605 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I agree with the others. Ditch the Uncle Mike's. If you want an quality, inexpensive holster, look at the Remora holsters.
    marcclarke likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Invest in quality gear. YOUR life depends on it! JMO
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

The reason i picked 'uncle mikes' or blackhawk is that i like the IWB and its a clip... are there other clips that are IWB?

Quote Originally Posted by erdocsg View Post
    The reason i picked 'uncle mikes' or blackhawk is that i like the IWB and its a clip... are there other clips that are IWB?
    I use a comp-tac, crossbreed and Frontline. All are very good. I agree with the others, you need to step away from the Uncle Mike holsters.

Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

SuperTuck Deluxe | Crossbreed Holsters - Super Tuck Deluxe

Leather Inside the Waistband Holster « Front Line Holsters
    Last edited by ks kid; August 25th, 2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: add comment

GH
    Yes. Galco makes one for less the $30. Here's a link provided by Speedyfish - Galco Stow-N-Go Holster Review | ThinBlueFlorida.com

In my Streichers catalog I also see 5.11 has one listed for about the same price.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

- The Remora doesn't have a clip and it's more stable than virtually all of the IWB holsters that I own...
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I have found that the best combination of concealment and ease of use is a small gun (LCP or S&W J-frame) in the right front pocket. It is safe in a pocket holster and well-concealed, too. Also, it's the only way I know to actually have your hand on the firearm without revealing your intentions or appearing threatening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links