Traveling from FL to SC

Traveling from FL to SC

This is a discussion on Traveling from FL to SC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. I am planning a trip with the Wife from our home here in Florida up to Hilton Head SC. I decided it would ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rmodel65

Thread: Traveling from FL to SC

Traveling from FL to SC

Hi all. I am planning a trip with the Wife from our home here in Florida up to Hilton Head SC. I decided it would be in my best interest to know the laws for both Georgia and South Carolina as they will be important as I plan to carry on our trip... I remember a website that gave information for planning a trip and supplied information for CCing, but now I can't remember the site.
    Could someone point me in a good direction for information? Any experience from these 2 states and the reception from their LEOs especially with out of towners would be nice to hear. Any differences in law between FL and these states that jumps out at someone would be nice to know as well. I'm mostly concerned with gun buster signs and how to proceed in the event of traffic stops...
    Thanks.

VIP Member
    I think this is what your looking for:

Handgunlaw.us
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    One of the main differences I find among states is whether or not one can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, regardless of whether one consumes or not. The "prohibited areas" seem to be the major differences.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thanks archer51, definitely what i was looking for.
    Definitely OldVet, I was mostly concerned with Gun buster signs and Restaurant carry. Here in FL i can carry in a Restaurant but not carry in a bar or Bar area within a restaurant, and Gun buster signs mean nothing.
    It seems in Georgia the same rules apply, carry in a restaurant but not bar. I assume consuming alcohol and carrying is not allowed even though it is allowed in FL.
    SC the signs do have meaning as long as they meet the size and content parameters. Also carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol is not legal.
    These were my biggest concerns.
    I am not overly concerned with traffic stops, I have been pulled over once in my life... I don't make a habit of breaking traffic laws and do my very best to not break traffic laws when out of state. If I get pulled over I inform weather or not required, and if dark I would turn on the dome lights in the car... I have nothing to hide from a LEO in that situation.

Signs in SC have size, content and placement requirements to have the force of law. Even the color of the text is specified (1" block letters in black). Correct that no carry in any restaurant - or any business - that sells alcohol for consumption on site.

In SC, anybody - even without CWP - may carry a loaded firearm in their vehicle if it is in a closed compartment (glove box, center console, etc). If you have a CWP, you may also carry it on your person in the car, however, if it is not on your person, it must be stowed in a closed compartment (as above). You can't place it under or beside your seat.

Thanks CPanther95 Good to know that under the seat is not allowed. I never like to put the weapon under the seat but have in 1 or 2 rare situations. I have to make the wife clean out the glove box, because my g26 and her LC9 both do not fit in the center console, however mt LCP does :) It would be my assumption that back seat pockets do not count as a closed compartment :p
    I was supriese when first getting My CWP at how strict the signage is in some states has to be to carry the weight of law.
    All these little tips are much appricated.

Check the AG sites for those states too. Although handgunlaw.us is excellent, it is not a state run info source. Use with some caution in additon to the state AG site.

HKR likes this.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

You might want to print the pages from handgunlaw.us.org for each state you will be traveling in and put them into a folder for reference. Not only to help you remember (restaurants that serve alcohol, duty to inform officer, etc.), but in case there is any question from law enforcement also. They don't always know what states reciprocate with others, etc. More information can only help.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

HKR
    ..it seems in Georgia the same rules apply, carry in a restaurant but not bar. I assume consuming alcohol and carrying is not allowed even though it is allowed in FL.
    With a recognized permit you can drink while carrying in Georgia and bar carry is legal if you have permission of the owner.

Also in Georgia:

Signs hold no legal weight.

Rest stops are legal.

OC or CC.

You don't have to inform, it's up to you. Unless I'm going to have to exit the vehicle during a traffic stop I keep my mouth shut. This has worked well for me for over a decade.

I use this site if going to a new place in GA to find out if the state considers them a bar https://etax.dor.ga.gov/AlcoholRetailer/

also bars arent open on sundays Georgia has very few true bars
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Sponsored Links