Is It Time To Re-Sole Your Shoes?

This is a discussion on Is It Time To Re-Sole Your Shoes? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here we are in August. Since that is when auto batteries are usually on sale, I have made it an informal tradition, at this time ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is It Time To Re-Sole Your Shoes?

Is It Time To Re-Sole Your Shoes?

Here we are in August.

Since that is when auto batteries are usually on sale, I have made it an informal tradition, at this time of year, to do a little pre-winter prepping for my car, etc.

Recently, I got fed up with the slick soles of my most worn shoes. I went to my local cobbler and asked about some soles that would be very grippy--because it feels like i am on ice when there is little bit of water on the ground or floor. The cobbler showed me some Vibram soles and he re-soled my heels and the front soles.

Bottom line--I am very happy with that $48.00 purchase. I am now, gradually, bringing in more of my shoes for the same treatment. I had forgotten--due to becoming accustomed to slippery, well-worn soles--what it feels like to have soles that grip reasonably well. I actually feel that I have a spring in my step, again.

It occurred to me that the process of getting my shoes re-soled probably has added to my safety and sense of well-being. It may not be a stretch to say that it could also aid in a person's defensive posture. After all, slipping and sliding--maybe falling down--does nothing to help you in a time of crisis.

Just some food for thought that I thought I'd share.
    HKR and Rock and Glock like this.

2. Remove Ads

GH
    Funny thing - I was just thinking of that very same thing the other day. I have a pair of Texas Steer boots & a pair of Corcorans. I'll need to get a price estimate & yours gives me a starting point. I'm starting to break in a new pair of Army issue desert tan boots that hopefully will tide me over the winter months or until I can afford the resole/reheel price. I'd probably start with the Corcorans as they're the worst-worn by far.

Thanks for the reminder.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Batteries on sale? Not around here. I just replaced mine at nearly twice the cost as last tiem. EEven my mechanic says the price has skyrocketed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Assuming the mid-sole is still serviceable, a Vibram retread can be a wonderful thing. Have done it on a couple pairs of shoes, and it's well worth the effort.
    nedrgr21 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I thought this thread was about replacing handgun grips. Guess I need to be a little more literal......

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    I thought this thread was about replacing handgun grips. Guess I need to be a little more literal......
    I suppose you could always wrap the old soles around your grips, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

CJM
    Tactical shoe soles?

Administrator
    All the shoemakers around here are either dead or out of business. Nobody gets retreads on tennis shoes or flip flops.
    pistola, mr.stuart and BurgerBoy like this.

My work boots are nicley worn in and comfortable but Im running on bald tires now. I hate breaking in new boots at worl and love the ones I have. Maybe Ill look in to a re-tread. Thanks for the post!
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    Tactical shoe soles?
    Tacticool shoe soles

Remember, when attacked by the bear, you have to be at least able to outrun one of your buddies!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Vibram is a wonderful brand. My boots, Merrell tennis shoes, and my sandals have them.

Winter prep? Still trying to survive hurricane season.

I will pull out my winter flip flops...in January. ;-p
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Yeah...now that you mentioned it.....just bought a pair of work boots online to replace my two year old work boots. Liner ripping out and sole separating. I gotta have steel toes and metatarsals. They aint cheap.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Got a story to tell about resoling -

In the 80s and just out of UCLA's School of Public Health, I did some third-world medical work. I had some "Navy Oxford" dress shoes and some new cheap tennis shoes. Turns out the classroom work I thought I would be doing turned into hike-for-miles-and-do-medical-surveys. The tennis shoes gave me blisters almost immediately, so I decided to get some hiking boots. I was told by the proprietor of the best (=only) men's store in the capitol (in heavy South African British accent) "You'll find no size 12 shoes in the entire kingdom of Swaziland: my only suggestion is that you remove the toes from a smaller pair or boots or that you go barefoot."

So I decided to get my dress shoes resoled with Vibram soles... but they had no size 12 soles either. Inspiration striking, I asked if they could slice the replacement sole at the arch and leave an inch of midsole showing and push the foot part out to the front until it was the right size. They did, and life was good.

I was very comfortable (the shoes fit perfectly) and had good footing for the summer, and when I left I gave the pair to a large Swazi who had big feet.

Everyone was happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links