Looking for pointers on carrying a revolver

This is a discussion on Looking for pointers on carrying a revolver within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I made it to 61 just recently, I'm old school, use to carry a Glock 19, about 3 months ago I finally found a Ruger ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Looking for pointers on carrying a revolver

I made it to 61 just recently, I'm old school, use to carry a Glock 19, about 3 months ago I finally found a Ruger SP101 357 3" barrel revolver and now its my EDC. Carry it in a simple Don Hume IWB holster, it's lighter then my Glock and conceals very nice under a T-shirt.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

2. Remove Ads

I like revolvers also and have quite a few......., but really can't see going to one for my primary edc. There are just too many pistol choices available to choose from that are proven as reliable as a revolver. I own and love my Ruger SP101 in 357mag and shoot it well, but for nearly the same weight (25oz for the Ruger) I can carry a Glock 26 (19oz) or Glock 30sf (26.5oz) and have at least double the capacity. I have thousands of rounds through my Glocks with never a failure. And......there are other advantages......For me the Glocks are easier to clean (1 barrel instead of 6), and just as durable, have longer site radius making them easier to shoot at longer distance, etc. Now I believe that a Smith J frame or Ruger LCR would be great as a bug due to their light weight and ease of carrying......but I would never carry JUST the pocket revolver as my normal, primary edc. For power, capacity and accuracy I think I'll stick with my Glocks, or my Sig P220 Carry.

OH....and I might add that I'm 64 years old and have also been shooting since I was in my teens...

I like Revolvers for carry over the Semi Auto. I carry Two 357s daily. My Sp101 is AIWB and my LCR357 is in my off hand front pocket. They are not target guns but, for self defense distances I can handle them just fine.

55 years old here, 5'9" at 185. Regularly conceal a S&W M12 snubbie in a Bucheimer OWB holster under an untucked shirt. If I'm trim-tucked, I go with a Ruger LCR .357 in a Recluse holster in my right front pocket. Bianchi speed strips (2) in right rear pocket. The Recluse is the best pocket system for j-frame sized revolvers that I have found.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Back problems have pretty much relegated me to LW snub carry at age 68. I carried a Colt 1911 for 40 years. I now carry a Colt Agent revolver loaded with Federal 125 Nyclads in a Mika pocket holster. I have a couple of speed strips in other pockets. I like the little Colt because it is only 1/10th inch wider than a j frame with 20% more ammo. I also carry two revolvers most days. The Colt and A NAA .22 mag derringer in my hip pocket. As already posted I don't look for combat anymore. I did when I was a cop. I stay away from trouble as much as possible. If trouble finds me now I hope it also finds the business end of my little Colt.
    sensei2 and RichB70 like this.

I easily pocket carry my LCR so there aren't many issues to deal with concealing it. If I have pants that don't accomodate it, I just switch back to my LCP for the day.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

some cautionary notes about carrying a revolver:

most semi-automatic malfunctions can be cleared by a knowledgeable and practiced operator in 1-5 seconds. if a revolver "jams" it can take minutes, if not hours, and often tools to get it running again.

so: keep the front of the cylinder clean, so that build-up won't keep the cylinder from rotating. check that none of your rounds have high primers, which can cause a similar malfunction. make certain to clean under the extractor star, so that dirt build-up won't prevent the rounds from seating completely. if you get a Smith "Bodyguard"-style gun, keep the area behind the hammer free of lint. DON'T use the Hollywood trick of flipping your wrist to close the cylinder.

and as others have mentioned, PRACTICE. IMO, J-frames are hard to shoot well, especially lightweight ones in DA mode. the first time i shot my 642, i thought something was wrong with me, as my hits looked more like a shotgun pattern than a handgun group. practice reloading, too. in a recent thread about Speed Strips, someone posted a video showing Mas Ayoob demonstrating how to use a Speed Strip. view it and learn.

VIP Member
    I carry either a SW 640 .357 or a SW 642 in either a Galco concealable belt holster (OWB), or a Galco Royal Guard Holster (IWB). I prefer the "concealable belt holster." With a decent belt it holds the steel framed 640 close to my body it is very comfortable (for me). When I carry the 642 it's like the gun is not event there.

If you wear cargo shorts, any decent pocket holster and will allow you to carry the 642 in your front pocket comfortably.

I prefer "hammerless" (misnomer) revolvers like the 640 and 642 because they stay mostly lint-free. If you get a 640 or 642, check back, we have recommendations for grips if you find the boot grip on the 642 or the tactical grip on the 640 don't work for you.

Good luck!

I was told soooooooo many times that the wheel on a 7 shot - 2 1/2 " barrel was Tooooooo BIG to conceal carry. (ROFLMAO)..... I bought one anyway.

I have had no issue carrying one, and it conceals extremely well. It's heavier with 7 rounds, but it's not an issue with a good belt.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have gone back to J frame as my EDC and not looked back. I keep one in a pocket holster and my 357 in Remora IWB on most days. I rotate between LCR and S&W 340 or both. I have multiple holsters and the all work well in concealment.
    It is still important to go to the range and practice. You are limited by a long trigger pull and short sight radius.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

First gun I owned, Christmas present, was my taurus snub nose 38 special. I have three to choose from for carry. My 38 or a taurus 709 or my ruger sr9c. Like all three of them. Still, something really nice about that little 38. All of them fit quite nicely in my ccw purse. Just like with everyone else and holster practice. I have had to practice for hours to pull a gun out of the side of a purse AND you can shoot it right through the purse if need be.

Yes, that 1933 is my birthyear. I carry the S&W J Frame Airweight 637 in front pocket cargo shorts in the summer and in a remora IWB in the winter. It weighs about the same a the P-238 which is my other summer pocket carry gun. Both my guns have CT laser and that helps a lot. In anything less than bright sunlight the hole goes where the red dot is. This is true for the little P-238, the Airweight and my son-in-law's S&W 40c. The 637 is a hammer version Airweight and I like that. If I have to make a long shot, I can use the single action capability and is pie plate accurate (most times better) at 30 yards. We do practice a lot every Friday from three feet to 7 or 8 yards, you know, draw, aim, shoot, shoot. One or two targets ... yeah ... Zombie Terrorists. LOL.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    You can conceal a snubby as well as any small semi-auto. If you get one with an exposed hammer, always do your defensive practice in double action, never single action. If you have an emergency social encounter that's the way you'll use it. Get this book, I highly recommend it. Amazon.com: Gun Digest Book of the Revolver (9781440218125): Grant Cunningham: Books
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I carry two J frame sized guns, albeit from a different manufacturer (Taurus®) daily. Primary is a Mdl 605SS2 loaded with 357 Magnum ammunition & carried in a DeSantis® Cozy Partner™ IWB @ 4 o'clock. BUG is a Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special carried in my off hand (left front) pants pocket. ALL reloads, both speed loaders, & speed strips; are 38 Special for obvious reasons.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

​Thanks Brady! I just downloaded the book to my Kindle®.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links