Looking for pointers on carrying a revolver

This is a discussion on Looking for pointers on carrying a revolver within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been into guns/shooting/hunting etc since my high school days and bought my first handgun @ 21. I have been reading all the gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Looking for pointers on carrying a revolver

I have been into guns/shooting/hunting etc since my high school days and bought my first handgun @ 21. I have been reading all the gun mags since high school and was brainwashed at an impressionable age that the only gun worth carrying was a high-cap wonder 9 or bigger and that a semi was the only way to go due to the higher capacity, longer barrel per gun size and especially due to the thinner profile than a revolver.

I have been carrying 9's, a PPK/S and now a Kel-Tec 380 for years.

However now that I am closing in on 50 years old I am growing weary of clearing jams, spraying casings then trying to pick them up, dealing with magazines, disassembling/reassembling to clean, and I'm especially getting tired of small auto slides biting my thumb knuckle (yeah I know it's a user error but it's a reality of life and it sucks).

I am getting real close getting a good J-frame and moving over to the dark side of enjoying the ruggedness, ease of manual of arms and reliabilty of the wheelgun.

My problem is I have been brainwashed into thinking that revolvers are too fat and bulky at the cyclinder to conceal effectively and when I'm carrying I want to be completely concealed and discreet.

What I am looking for is pointers, insights and tips from those of you that routinely carry revolvers on how to carry them and how to live with them in harmony in a world that seems to cherish the latest and greatest high cap, tactikewl semi-auto.

I'm turning into a grumpy old man and I need to learn how to live with the rugged, reliable, easy to operate and easy to clean 1800s technology.

So what are some good hosters, carry positions, methods of deployment and operation that those of you that carry wheelguns can offer? What does an old fart need to know to transition from a P3AT to a J-frame?

I just picked up a Ruger LCR and after a few hundred rounds have switched to it as my EDC. I wore it today and it concealed with a t-shirt.
    RichB70 likes this.

On occasion I carry my S&W .38 special Airweight in my right front pocket in a pocket holster. It conceals just fine.
    JerryMac and PatAz like this.

I carry mine appendix with either a tuckable IWB of IWB. I found inexpensive holsters that work fine for me.
    https://acecase.com/mix-match-holste...ludes-s-h.html
    Bad Bob likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Concealing a j frame should be a breeze. The width will make much less difference than what sticks above your waist line which is a very small grip that is rounded and thin. The best advice I can give you is to get one and get a few good holsters and see what you like and what you don't. The worst that can happen is that you relegate it to pocket carry or a bathroom gun. :)

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I occasionally carry a full size .357 snubnose. I use a N82 Tactical holster, left handed between 630-830 positions. I've never had trouble concealing- IWB holster, with a loose-ish shirt untucked. A J-frame should be a breeze.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I feel ya on this subject...I have switched to a airweight smith, and most times carry it in my front pocket in a pocket hoster, and no one is the wiser. Also go to UBG holsters and look at the becker model holster...this guy makes some awesome holsters and belts, also the canute would be a good choice i think, i use a canute for a glock, and it conceales it really well ....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I have used either the KangarooCarry or Remora IWB holster for my J frame, depending on what I'm wearing.
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

oldshirt, since you mentioned the J frame specifically, I don't think you'll have any problems. They are so small that concealment is a breeze. I sometimes even forget I'm wearing my LCR. It's that comfortable. Just go with what feels comfortable for you. And for cooler weather, it easily slips into a jacket pocket, and doesn't weigh it down.
    RichB70 likes this.

from a fellow old fart. (i'm 67). i'm 5'7", about 150 pounds.

i holster carry semis as small a a Kahr CM-9 and as large as a Sig P-220. i carry revolvers as small as a Smith 642 (J-frame) and as large as a Smith 3" N-frame. i also pocket carry the 642 and the CM-9.

IMO, there is NO difference in concealability between the two types of guns. the cylinder 'bulge' is just not a factor. the N-frame is HEAVIER than the Sig, but in a good holster on a good gunbelt, i can hide either with no problems. my holsters are Kramer horsehide, Blade Tech and Comp Tac kydex, though the wheel guns only have Kramers at the moment. i prefer the Kramer Belt Scabbards for the semis, and slightly prefer the Kramer Vertical Scabbards for the revolvers. i go back and forth between the kydex paddle holsters and their belt loop brothers. i wear these holsters behind the right hip (4:30 position), except for the CM-9, which uses a Comp Tac 2 o'Clock holster in the appendix position. yes, i have many holsters. my best gunny friend often gives me grief about this. my belts are Wilderness 1.5", 5-stitch belts and Galco dress style 1.25" gunbelts.

i carry my reloads in different locations for semis and revolvers, which requires more awareness on my part. spare magazines live behind the left hip (7:30 position), while the spare speedloaders or spare moon clips are carried in the right front, appendix position (2:00 position).

pocket carry: IMO, the revolver is MUCH easier to draw from a front pocket in Docker-style pants. i REALLY don't like to pocket carry in jeans. with a decent pocket holster (i like the DeSantis Nemesis), either hides easily. again, IMO, a pocket gun should weigh around 16 ounces or less. much heavier than that and it begins to cause the pocket/pants to sag and the gun to print.

spare ammo for my pocket carried 642 is carried in a Speed Strip inside a Galco 2X2X2, plus a Safariland speedloader with five more rounds. right now, the 642 carries Hornady's Critical Defense loads.
    Last edited by sensei2; August 27th, 2012 at 04:01 PM.

Another aspect of the J frame type revolvers, is that they require a lot of ammo down range to become proficient. Their relatively short sight line and smallish grips can make for some difficulty achieving the desired accuracy. Even at 'bad breathe' self defense distance you don't want to assume you 'can't miss'. Clint Smith's take on that is, "you better Not miss". Practice, practice, practice. You should practice reloading too, with speed strips or speedloaders being the most common method.

Most J frames are chambered in .38 Special. You want to make certain your revolver can accept the + P loadings. I believe most or all current production models can do so. The .38 Special gives you a wide range of relatively cheap and available ammo for training and self defense purposes. I've never felt 'under gunned' carrying a .38

Do your research. Go to a range where you can 'rent' one or two. Shoot 50 or 100 rounds to start. Try a couple more models. Ask your questions; you will get great feed back on this site. You have a wide range of carry options. When you are ready, make your purchase, commit to practice. You won't regret your decision.
    sensei2 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I think it's good to have a few carry guns in your lineup. My LCR is in mine.
    I usually carry it at 3:30/4:30 with an untucked shirt or pocket carry in a Nemisis. Easy to conceal either way

Quote Originally Posted by thedogfather View Post
    Another aspect of the J frame type revolvers, is that they require a lot of ammo down range to become proficient. Their relatively short sight line and smallish grips can make for some difficulty achieving the desired accuracy. Even at 'bad breathe' self defense distance you don't want to assume you 'can't miss'. Clint Smith's take on that is, "you better Not miss". Practice, practice, practice. You should practice reloading too, with speed strips or speedloaders being the most common method.

Most J frames are chambered in .38 Special. You want to make certain your revolver can accept the + P loadings. I believe most or all current production models can do so. The .38 Special gives you a wide range of relatively cheap and available ammo for training and self defense purposes. I've never felt 'under gunned' carrying a .38

Do your research. Go to a range where you can 'rent' one or two. Shoot 50 or 100 rounds to start. Try a couple more models. Ask your questions; you will get great feed back on this site. You have a wide range of carry options. When you are ready, make your purchase, commit to practice. You won't regret your decision.
    You hit the nail on the head. Recently got a little Ruger SP101 w/ the 2-1/4" barrel and shot 50 rounds of 38+P through it at 7 yards. I'm normally a decent shot with my 1911's but, I was all over the target with that little guy. I could have thrown rocks at the target and been more accurate. I'm going to try a XS Big Dot sight on the front of it and see if that helps?

I ordered a Remora Nemisis and a Simply Rugged holster (w/optional IWB straps) due to be delivered Tuesday. Have the options of pocket carry, IWB or OWB.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Trigger time

The XS sight won't hurt anything, but won't help mastering the DA trigger which is where the revolver secret lies. Start with a firm grip and s-l-o-w steady trigger roll in dry fire mode. Speed comes with the repetition of smooth technique.

And holster CC a J-frame is a piece of cake as already confirmed above. Even a K-frame ain't difficult.

Oldshirt:

69 Years old here. I carried a 1911 for thirty years in the USMC and a Colt Officer's's Model in civilian life. like you I too have decided to quit playing "pistolero" with all of the complicated drills for semi-autos. I will be very sacrilegious here and state, from my own experience, that 1911s are not perfect and can malfunction in a spectacular fashion when you need them most. I fired on USMC pistol teams over my entire career and consider myself a pretty good shot out to 25 yards. However, I no longer see good enough at 25 yards to be sure of my target! I have also changed my SD philosophy from a combat strategy to a "Run if I can, or hunker down and make them come to me" strategy.

I EDC a S&W 642 or 637 in a pocket holster. The 637 is for those pesky jeans with the short pockets. I practice daily with a S&W 317 in 22 CB and with the two Airweights weekly, both sessions at 10,15 and 21 feet. I find that I can keep all of my shots, at the rapid fire, in a 5" circle (a very tight kill zone for a human target) which is more than adequate for my SD strategy. I use the GALCO Pro 158 leather pocket holster. It is soft, rough leather and molds to the calf contours, the little buggers just disappear into my body.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links