lawyer on speed dial?

This is a discussion on lawyer on speed dial? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello, i've been hearing alot lately about the liability and legal problems one would encur even if you're 100% in the right,if you had to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: lawyer on speed dial?

lawyer on speed dial?

hello, i've been hearing alot lately about the liability and legal problems one would encur even if you're 100% in the right,if you had to use your gun in self defense. does anyone here keep a good lawyer on retainer or can you recommend a good one here in wisconsin? I just read a book on this subject and it almost makes you not want to carry,like we're the bad guys. I appreciate any input and comments, thanks Randy

2. Remove Ads

Randy - I have the number of my lawyer on both my cell and my wife's. He specializes in firearms law - an important consideration IMO. Mine doesn't require a retainer - if I need his legal help I just call; that's when the meter starts.

If you don't get any good leads here, you might also try a local (Wisconsin) concealed carry forum, and ask there.

Distinguished Member
    I have not yet, but I think I will do so....its on the never ending "to do" list. That and getting a LLC policy. Both seem to be wise investments
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMick View Post
    Randy - I have the number of my lawyer on both my cell and my wife's. He specializes in firearms law - an important consideration IMO. Mine doesn't require a retainer - if I need his legal help I just call; that's when the meter starts.

If you don't get any good leads here, you might also try a local (Wisconsin) concealed carry forum, and ask there.
    Is he licensed in KY? Im across the river. Can you pm me his info? Thanks.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

MJK
    I have a good attorney on speed dial just in case.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

VIP Member
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I don't live in your state but would suggest you find a local leo or two that is pro rights and get their opinion. As an leo I get to see how effective lawyers are in court vs. the local public perception. For a few lawyers their is no difference. For a few lawyers they do little to help clients vs. the public perception that they are the best if you are facing criminal charges. One in particular I feel bad for his clients even because of how bad he is. He is openly hostile to all law enforcement so no one ever agrees to plea any of his clients. One locally that know one hardly knows of (she purposefully does not take too many cases) is well known to most active leo's and extremely pro law enforcement. Most go out of their way to help her with things where appropriate.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think if one is involved in a shooting, one will have plenty of time to contact a lawyer. What's the use of having a lawyer on speed dial when the secretary is going to put you on hold for 30 minutes or just take a message?
    bmglock23 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Is he licensed in KY? Im across the river. Can you pm me his info? Thanks.
    Mike 1956 (above) saved me the trouble. I highly recommend Derek.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Thanks!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think if one is involved in a shooting, one will have plenty of time to contact a lawyer. What's the use of having a lawyer on speed dial when the secretary is going to put you on hold for 30 minutes or just take a message?
    I respectfully disagree. If one is involved in a shooting, the person he or she wants to contact immediately is a GOOD lawyer. The time to do a thorough search is when you HAVE time. To each his own, but I prefer to have a contact on speed dial on my phone and my wife's. Trying to find a lawyer from jail, or have your wife find one while you're cooling your heals isn't how I want to handle it. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by jbglock View Post
    I don't live in your state but would suggest you find a local leo or two that is pro rights and get their opinion. As an leo I get to see how effective lawyers are in court vs. the local public perception. For a few lawyers their is no difference. For a few lawyers they do little to help clients vs. the public perception that they are the best if you are facing criminal charges. One in particular I feel bad for his clients even because of how bad he is. He is openly hostile to all law enforcement so no one ever agrees to plea any of his clients. One locally that know one hardly knows of (she purposefully does not take too many cases) is well known to most active leo's and extremely pro law enforcement. Most go out of their way to help her with things where appropriate.
    I do not want a plea deal if Im involved in a SD encounter. I do not want a lawyer looking for that either. I want a shark, someone that knows my states law inside and out. I will not settle for anything less.
    Ionracas, Mike1956 and First Sgt like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Time is irrelevant to someone who is only allowed to make one phone call.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I don't keep one on retainer but I do know exactly who I am going to call in my hometown for a defense lawyer if I need one.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

My first call would likely be one of my parents. My dad is a good lawyer, but he is a good antitrust lawyer. He can, however, find one of his good lawyer friends that would do me some good. I think every lawyer can give you the greatest lawyerly advice of "don't talk until someone gets there."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links