Bad: Gun drawn during fight near Palm Bay Publix

This is a discussion on Bad: Gun drawn during fight near Palm Bay Publix within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wraithls1 Still, if the other guy baited him, while not necessarily illegal, it was a stupid thing to do. In Texas that ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Bad: Gun drawn during fight near Palm Bay Publix

Quote Originally Posted by wraithls1 View Post
    Still, if the other guy baited him, while not necessarily illegal, it was a stupid thing to do.
    In Texas that ain't gonna fly,you can't escalate a situation to the point where you get punched and then draw a gun,Just like if your arguing with somebody on the phone and dare them to come over when they show up you shoot them, you are not gonna like the outcome
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I've often said there is a huge difference between being prepared for a fight and looking for a fight.
    Well put
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

This is when a heavy revolver works well. Incidental bump, guy goes off on you, you apologize but the guy keep berating you to the point he punches you. While drawing your heavy revolver he accidentally bumps his head on it and then you put it back away quickly. Encounter over.
    Last edited by BugDude; August 27th, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
    FLArmadillo and 40Bob like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The Wyatt Earp reaction?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    In FL there is a 3 year minimum mandatory sentence for using a gun just to win an argument. If this is not considered justified, and it does not look like per what the investigators said so far, this guy might looking at some hard time.
    bigmacque likes this.

As ccw holders with a legal weapon in possession, we can't be involved in fisticuffs. I have made it my policy to simply ignore idiots. I usually express my displeasure with a look, then keep on driving or walking. Verbal interaction can lead to a physical altercation. In that case you are not covered by the ccw laws. Drawing your weapon will get you on trouble.
    wraithls1 likes this.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Very well said. That is how people who should be carrying think. Unfortunately, you still get morons with guns every now and then.

While carrying I put morons on mute. I hear so little these days.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    The magic words, at least in SC that allow for display of firearm as a precursor to deadly force (there is no other reason to display a firearm IMHO where CC is the rule of the day) are: "Presumption of reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury". As I casually read the report, a punch or a shove or whatever at that point in time, is, as pointed out by the authorities, is an "unreasonable" presumption of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury--and so the "brandisher" is in big doo doo and rightly so. If put into a situation where some maniac is going off on me for the smallest incidental contact (and this is easy for me to say as I sit at my computer and not having a fist in my face) is to be retreating as I yell and scream that I do not want any confrontation as I accumulate witness testimony in my favor. If I cannot go any further and I am in a position where this idiot does not let up and disparity of force is such that I really fear for my being, I let him know in loud words that I will defend myself if he does not stand down, as I present my firearm within that microsecond of discharge. Easy to say at the computer but the real point is to retreat and accumulate witnesses where it is clear you want no part of this--if it comes down to the inevitable, witness testimony should provide a good shoot scenario and, in SC, immunity to civil prosecution.

I was there during this incident Sunday. There was no way Dimsey was in fear of his life. He was having a very heated verbal exchange (f'ing this and that) with the other guy. He was hit first but he also hit back. He then retreated by taking step backwards and reached in his pants and pulled the gun from the waistband of his pants. Yes..gangster style... He pointed the gun at the other guy and the other guy ran away arms up down the isle. Dimsey then turned back around with gun still up at customers. It was horrible and beyond uncalled for!!
    I am very pro gun and have grown up with guns, support gun owners but I don't support idiots!

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithls1 View Post
    Exactly. Granted I wasn't there, but I get the impression that Dimsey wasn't trying too hard to avoid the confrontation
    I got the opposite impression as he was there carrying a defensive firearm. I feel charges are unwarranted and that the other guy should be imprisoned for assaulting someone.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    The suspect Derek Dimsey is really easy to find on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/dfareal1
    He doesn't look like an outstanding citizen of FL.
    What does an outstanding citizen look like? How do you define one? Are you an outstanding citizen of your state? Based on what criteria?
    40Bob likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links