What should I have done ?

This is a discussion on What should I have done ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so I'm coming out of a local 7-11, about 1pm, broad daylight. Actually a damn nice Florida day. I get my giant sized Arizona ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I have done ?

Okay, so I'm coming out of a local 7-11, about 1pm, broad daylight. Actually a damn nice Florida day. I get my giant sized Arizona Tea ( AKA Torpedo ), and head for the car. On my way out, just outside and clustered around the door, is a bunch of construction guys ( dressed in stained jeans, work belts, boots, and t-shirts ). One of the guys has had his shirt ride up, and quite clearly has the handle of his HK sticking out of his back pocket or belt holster. Clearly enough for me to see the HK on the bottom of the gun. His back was to me.

I just looked at the gun, looked at his friends ( memorizing quick descriptions ), looked at the gun again, and walked off.

Should I have told the guy he was showing ? Or did I do the right thing by not saying anything ?

While I would hope that a fellow "packer" would let me know if I were showing or printing, you just never know who you are going to talk to.

These guys may have been honest, hard working guys, then again it could have just as easily been bait.

Tough call. Personally, if the guy was carrying in a holster, I probably would have, as that tends to say that the person is less likely to be the thugish type, as opposed to "Mexi".

VIP Member
    I feel you did the right thing. I'm sure he would of cover up after realizing it unless he was trying to show and if that was the case then you would be putting you nose where it would not be apreciated.

That would be a rather "iffy" situation to be in. As was said, I'm sure I would appreciate someone letting me know (discretely) if I was inadvertently displaying my G23, someone else might not.

All you can do in such a situation is follow your instinct, which you apparently did. I don't think I'd try to make up some "hard & fast rule," as they are seldom a good idea. Fine for the classroom, but real life has too many variables for such rules.

Your instinct told you to let it go, I'd be satisfied with that, no real reason to second-guess yourself. Under different circumstances, you might go the other way, and be right also.

None of us were there, so we don't know how the scene might have looked (and felt) to us.

Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

I think that you did the right thing. Since there was a crowd it was best left alone.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

I think Mike said it best, go with your instincts when a situation presents itself.
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - instincts - like so many situations - ''play it as you see it''.

Here you probably made the best choice - on the day.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You did the right thing

When you approach someone you don't know and tell them that some aspect of their appearance or behavior is not "up to standard", it is often interpreted as unsolicited criticism and brings a hostile response. I think you did right to ignore the exposed gun and continue to your car.

If you knew the individual personally it would be different.

What happened to condition yellow - why do you assume this guy is legally carrying?

What if you approached him and whispered "you're showing your weapon" and he put it in your face?

I would follow the lead of the famous dentist and get the hell away from any one I saw carrying a piece. I'm not going to assume he's legal. Why should I?

Quote Originally Posted by AceRider View Post
    What happened to condition yellow - why do you assume this guy is legally carrying?

What if you approached him and whispered "you're showing your weapon" and he put it in your face?

I would follow the lead of the famous dentist and get the hell away from any one I saw carrying a piece. I'm not going to assume he's legal. Why should I?
    Are you going to follow that mentality one step further and call the police?

It's easy to sit here and critique and ask questions, but the bottom line is no one but you can answer the question of whether or not you made the right call.

FWIW, You left out some details about this group of "gentlemen" that I would probably have used in my decision making process. But ultimately, I probably would have done the same thing you did, though for different reasons.

Who knows, maybe I would have called the police. What would you have done? What leads you to infer the best about this construction worker with a gun in waist vs. the worst?

Again, what happened to condition yellow in this case? Everyone here constantly preaches yellow and caution. Telling a stranger his gun is showing under the presumption that he's licensed and you are helping him out is an odd concept to support.

Condition yellow dictates you don't assume the best from this guy. Period. I don't see how this can be argued.

I think under the circumstances that you did the right thing. You noticed what was going on, reacted to it, and did what you felt was neccesary for the time and place.

I can understand where Ace is coming from but I can't quite come to the whole "let's call the police" ideal. Depending on the circumstances, doing that may be the right call. But in *most* cases, it is unneccesary and usually not needed. Just my $.02
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by AceRider View Post
    Who knows, maybe I would have called the police. What would you have done? What leads you to infer the best about this construction worker with a gun in waist vs. the worst?

Again, what happened to condition yellow in this case? Everyone here constantly preaches yellow and caution. Telling a stranger his gun is showing under the presumption that he's licensed and you are helping him out is an odd concept to support.

Condition yellow dictates you don't assume the best from this guy. Period. I don't see how this can be argued.
    With all due respect -

I would say that the very fact that the OP gave these guys the once over showed that he was condition yellow. Running off to the cops every time you see a gun is more like condition sheep to me.

He evaluated the situation, noted the gun, upped his threat level and continued on his way. Hence why he did not engage. Exactly what he should have done. Be a good witness. Thats what we also say.

Someone asked if I would call the police; I answered "maybe."

Again, it makes no sense to assume someone a) loitering around the door of a store, b) dressed in the white equivalent of gang banger clothing, c) displaying a firearm would at the bare minimum get a VERY wide berth from me and who knows, maybe a call to the police?

Being a good citizen means more than noting features for after a crime takes place; it also means being proactive. Many would jump to the rescue of someone if they got to pull their gun, but pre-empting a potential scenario when a gun is observed is "sheep-like?" Being a good witness doesn't help someone who got shot.

The displayed weapon means only one of two things: someone legally concealed-carrying poorly or someone not legally carrying and potentially a criminal. Why would you not assume the worst?

Personally, I think everyone should carry. So, unless they're doing something illegal with thier weapon, why should I worry?

Of course, I'll be more likely to keep an eye on what they're doing.

Then again, if what they're doing is illegal.....

My73LT

That said, if OC is legal in your area, I don't think I'd have done any different than you did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links