CCW permit for Canadian medical student in NYC? - Page 2

CCW permit for Canadian medical student in NYC?

This is a discussion on CCW permit for Canadian medical student in NYC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by brianbelange Thanks for your quick response. Canada does not issue CCW permits and I'm assuming neither does NYC. Having gone through the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: CCW permit for Canadian medical student in NYC?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianbelange View Post
    Thanks for your quick response. Canada does not issue CCW permits and I'm assuming neither does NYC.
    Having gone through the process in NYC in the '80's, I applied for a carry permit because I was handling large sums of cash collected by delivery drivers for COD deliveries. The process took over 6 months and required a massive amount of paperwork, interviews and jumping through hoops. NYC issued me a 'premise permit' which allowed me to carry a handgun on the company premises only. I also had to register every handgun I bought.

I would say that they have zero to nil chance of getting a permit.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Also, being non citizens would it be illegal for them to acquire a firearm in NY?

I have to bring mine with me when I cross the border with the appropriate paperwork from the BATFE and the RCMP>
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    We went two years ago, first time my woman has ever been. We had a good time without a gun. Itís a shame you would pass it up for that reason. A lot of history to see on the NYC side and the jersey side too
    It's called sticking to my convictions. I'm a big spender when I go on vacation - and even though New York may not go bankrupt if I don't visit, why should I spend my money to reward a city/state for it's draconian treatment of visitors?
    GH likes this.

OP, unfortunately, the answer will most likely be no. In the limits of New York City, gun ownership is heavily frowned upon and law abiding firearms owners are treated like criminals (not the normal New Yorker attitude of rudeness but like a criminal.)

Outside of New York City, CCW is a reasonable expectation... just not allowed in NYC... where only the criminals have guns, the cops can't shoot, and the mayor's "special friends" are allowed to CCW. Everyone is created equal... just some are more equal than others. NYC follows this rule of thumb.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    We went two years ago, first time my woman has ever been. We had a good time without a gun. Itís a shame you would pass it up for that reason. A lot of history to see on the NYC side and the jersey side too
    New York has done just fine without me for a very long time, and will no doubt continue to do so. Illinois doesn't get one cent of my hard-earned, either, a fact which I'm sure they are just fine with.
    GH likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Listed under "FAT CHANCE" in my book. They really need to get with the rest of the Country and DUMP Bloomberg!. He thinks because he has money we should "OBEY" him. GRRR.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    [/U][/B]

One BG,8 feet,2 cops,16 shots, one hit!!!!!!!
    Nope, they had at least 10 hits. Only the bad guy was hit by them once. The other 9 were innocents.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Nope, they had at least 10 hits. Only the bad guy was hit by them once. The other 9 were innocents.
    Correct; though I meant one hit on BG.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Thanks to all for your feedback. Here is a follow up question:
    My wife and I keep a Remington 870 with an attached Surefire flashlight and red Chrimson lazer sight pointer in our bedroom closet; would this be permitted for my daughter in NYC?
    We also keep an 8 shot 357 S&W PC627, but this has already been described as unacceptable...?

VIP Member
    NYC laws are draconian even by Canadian standards. You are now asking specific questions that entail:

1. Legal aliens
    2. Specific visa types
    3. Particluar weapons
    4. Unusual jurisdictions
    5. International transport of a firearm

I would not trust the internet for an answer to this question. Your daughter will be best served by consulting a lawyer who actually know what he/she is talking about in this highly specific area. The stakes are just too high -like jail or gaol depending on which side of the border she is on.

Clearly the safest option (from a stay out of prision standpoint) is to come unarmed and stay that way. BUT, it may be permissible, it he right forms are completed and filed to do as you are thinking. I just have no idea what those forms are, if they exist, or who you would file them with. Even if all is done legally and above the board, there is a more than remote chance NYC cops would make life miserable if the guns were known by them.

The best advice is to get an internship somewhere outside of the North East, California or Illinois. Otherwise, consult a lawyer.

VIP Member
    Here is the page from the NYPD regarding licensing:
    NYPD - Permits
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    In theory one can get a permit in NYC. In reality it won't happen unless one can show a compelling need (e.g. verifiable threat of real harm). His heinous (oops, highness) Bloomberg has the finest local law enforcement agency in NYC and to issue a permit in his eyes would be tantamount to an admission that the NYPD cannot protect residents and tourists of NYC. Besides, the LEOs in NYC are excellent shots.
    I like your sarcasm, but I am not sure everyone got it!
    NotMallNinja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret_Storm View Post
    It is unfortunate. I'd love to take the family to vacation in New York City, but I absolutely WILL NOT because of their draconian gun laws.
    I'm in NY and surrounding area for work on a regular basis. As we say down here in the hills, "you all ain't missing a thang". (thang: hillbilly for thing, just so you all don't think I's a ignorant hillbilly)

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    I like your sarcasm, but I am not sure everyone got it!
    OK! I should have read the entire thread before making a reply. It appears everyone on here DID get it!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianbelange View Post
    Thanks for your quick response. Canada does not issue CCW permits and I'm assuming neither does NYC.
    Correct. Permits issued in upstate and other parts of NYS are not valid in the city.

Fitch
    ďThe whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.Ē by H. L. Mencken

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links