CCW permit for Canadian medical student in NYC?

This is a discussion on CCW permit for Canadian medical student in NYC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Fitch Correct. Permits issued in upstate and other parts of NYS are not valid in the city. Fitch To clarify, New York ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: CCW permit for Canadian medical student in NYC?

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Correct. Permits issued in upstate and other parts of NYS are not valid in the city.

Fitch
    To clarify, New York Penal Law, Article 400 states

"Any license issued pursuant to this section shall be valid notwithstanding the provisions of any local law or ordinance. No license shall be transferable to any other person orpremises. A license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, not otherwise limited as to place or time of possession, shall be effective throughout the state, except that the same shall not be valid within the city of New York unless a special permit granting validity is issued by the police commissioner of that city."

In other words, a permit issued in New York State but outside of New York City requires a special permit issued by the Police Commissioner of the City of New York (Raymond W. Kelly).

2. Remove Ads

Aint never going to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    NYC laws are draconian even by Canadian standards. You are now asking specific questions that entail:

1. Legal aliens
    2. Specific visa types
    3. Particluar weapons
    4. Unusual jurisdictions
    5. International transport of a firearm

I would not trust the internet for an answer to this question. Your daughter will be best served by consulting a lawyer who actually know what he/she is talking about in this highly specific area. The stakes are just too high -like jail or gaol depending on which side of the border she is on.

Clearly the safest option (from a stay out of prision standpoint) is to come unarmed and stay that way. BUT, it may be permissible, it he right forms are completed and filed to do as you are thinking. I just have no idea what those forms are, if they exist, or who you would file them with.
    +1 on this

I'm a Canadian that is legally living and working in Texas. Even in a pro-self-defense state, there are hoops that need to be jumped through in order for me to legally posess a firearm in Texas. Surprisingly enough, just having a CCW permit does NOT get around the fact that people who are not permanent residents or citizens are not (normally) allowed to possess firearms. I won't waste your time by telling you what my research found in Texas, because it will probably not be applicable in NY. I will simply say that you'll want to do a fair amount of reading about both state and federal laws to ensure that you can help your daughter and her boyfriend remain safe and legal at the same time.

"Also, being non citizens would it be illegal for them to acquire a firearm in NY?

I have to bring mine with me when I cross the border with the appropriate paperwork from the BATFE and the RCMP"

I live about 40 minutes from Canada. My wife's sister married a Canadian and they live in Fort Erie, Ontario. I have crossed into Canada dozens, if not hundreds of times over the last 36 years. Never had a problem until two years ago when I was pulled over for a secondary inspection. The Canadian Customs inspectors found a 9mm hollow point under my car seat. I was delayed for a few hours and was threatened with an arrest. After alot of explaining, a few phone calls and a sympathetic supervisor, I was released but they kept my bullet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links