CCW permit for Canadian medical student in NYC?

This is a discussion on CCW permit for Canadian medical student in NYC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daughter and her boyfriend are medical students from Canada and will be studying surgery as interns in a hospital in New York City. They ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: CCW permit for Canadian medical student in NYC?

My daughter and her boyfriend are medical students from Canada and will be studying surgery as interns in a hospital in New York City. They will have B1 student visas. They expect to work long hours and return home late at night in the Bronks area. My daughter has been shooting pistols and revolvers with me since she was 10 and her boyfriend is also proficient. I have recommended they should protect themselves. Does anyone know how they may go about getting their CCW permits? Thanks

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianbelange View Post
    My daughter and her boyfriend are medical students from Canada and will be studying surgery as interns in a hospital in New York City. They will have B1 student visas. They expect to work long hours and return home late at night in the Bronks area. My daughter has been shooting pistols and revolvers with me since she was 10 and her boyfriend is also proficient. I have recommended they should protect themselves. Does anyone know how they may go about getting their CCW permits? Thanks
    Their chances of getting a concealed carry permit for New York City are similar to my chances of getting an Authorization to Carry in Canada.
    jem102, suntzu, HKinNY and 6 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Thanks for your quick response. Canada does not issue CCW permits and I'm assuming neither does NYC.

In theory one can get a permit in NYC. In reality it won't happen unless one can show a compelling need (e.g. verifiable threat of real harm). His heinous (oops, highness) Bloomberg has the finest local law enforcement agency in NYC and to issue a permit in his eyes would be tantamount to an admission that the NYPD cannot protect residents and tourists of NYC. Besides, the LEOs in NYC are excellent shots.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianbelange View Post
    Thanks for your quick response. Canada does not issue CCW permits and I'm assuming neither does NYC.
    The circumstances under which both jurisdictions will issue are virtually the same.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Thank you for your prompt response. it reminds me of the expression "when seconds count the police are only minutes away!"

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Non-lethal options are viable in NY, I would strongly recommend them for anyone out and about in the Bronx. OC spray, collapsible baton, etc.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

it not just your daughter(Canadian) but anyone in NYC. they don't like anyone to have a gun but them

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Non-lethal options are viable in NY, I would strongly recommend them for anyone out and about in the Bronx. OC spray, collapsible baton, etc.
    Verify the legality of those first. I'm betting the baton is probably a no-go.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    Verify the legality of those first. I'm betting the baton is probably a no-go.
    New York Penal Law §265.01 (in part):
    A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when:
    (1) He or she possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles, metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type slingshot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or
    (2) He possesses any dagger, dangerous knife, dirk, razor, stiletto, imitation pistol, or any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon with intent to use the same unlawfully against another;

While it does not list expandable baton as prohibited per se, it is important to note the list as well as the fact that carrying them in and of themselves is not prohibited by law without the requisite intent to use them in an unlawful manner against another.

I'm a not an attorney nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. The above is my personal read on the law in New York state.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

As to your daughter and her boyfriend living in NYC. Unfortunately they chose one of the most gun unfriendly places in America to take their internship. Even being able to have a gun in your home takes a lot of jumping through hoops to do. I agree with her checking out legal, less than lethal options.

As for the police being minutes away, hopefully when they show up they won't shoot you with one of their stray bullets!
    accessbob likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

A six-figure contribution to the Bloomberg or Schumer campaign funds might increase the odds in your daughter's favor. An outright bribe would be both illegal and tacky, but a large contribution should at least get you noticed.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It is unfortunate. I'd love to take the family to vacation in New York City, but I absolutely WILL NOT because of their draconian gun laws.

We went two years ago, first time my woman has ever been. We had a good time without a gun. It’s a shame you would pass it up for that reason. A lot of history to see on the NYC side and the jersey side too

Quote Originally Posted by NotMallNinja View Post
    In theory one can get a permit in NYC. In reality it won't happen unless one can show a compelling need (e.g. verifiable threat of real harm). His heinous (oops, highness) Bloomberg has the finest local law enforcement agency in NYC and to issue a permit in his eyes would be tantamount to an admission that the NYPD cannot protect residents and tourists of NYC. Besides, the LEOs in NYC are excellent shots.

One BG,8 feet,2 cops,16 shots, one hit!!!!!!! Glocks with 50lb. trigger pulls (to avoid AD's)
    Your line is the funniest I've seen in a long time.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links