Oklahoma to Honor Other States Constitutional Carry - - - Kentucky Info

This is a discussion on Oklahoma to Honor Other States Constitutional Carry - - - Kentucky Info within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Starting November 1, 2012 Oklahoma will allow those from Constitutional Carry States the right to carry in Oklahoma Under their state Constitutional Carry Law. At ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tkruf

Thread: Oklahoma to Honor Other States Constitutional Carry - - - Kentucky Info

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Oklahoma to Honor Other States Constitutional Carry - - - Kentucky Info

Starting November 1, 2012 Oklahoma will allow those from Constitutional Carry States the right to carry in Oklahoma Under their state Constitutional Carry Law. At this time this new law only applies to Residents of Alaska, Arizona, Vermont and Wyoming. The AZ, AK, VT and WY pages at Handgunlaw.us will be updated to show this change on or about Nov 1, 2010. I donít want to make changes on those pages until the law takes effect. Here is the law as passed and signed by the Governor.

21 O.S. Section 1290.26 (Effective Date of This New Law 11/1/12 as Amended by SB 1785)
    B. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority of a state that is a nonpermitted carry state and the person is in compliance with the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the person is authorized to carry a concealed firearm in this state. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to the nonpermitting laws of the state in which he or she is a legal resident. The person shall present proper identification by a valid photo ID as proof that he or she is a legal resident in such a non-permitting state. The Department of Public Safety shall keep a current list of non-permitting states for law enforcement officers to confirm that a state is nonpermitting.

Kentucky opened up their carry law just a little. Allowing people to carry concealed on property without a permit/license in certain instances. Here is the law as signed by the Governor.

KRS 527.020 (As amended by HB484 )
    (9) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person who carries a concealed deadly weapon on or about his or her person without a license issued pursuant to KRS 237.110:
    (a) If he or she is the owner of the property or has the permission of the owner of the property, on real property which he or she or his or her spouse, parent, grandparent, or child owns;
    (b) If he or she is the lessee of the property or has the permission of the lessee of the property, on real property which he or she or his or her spouse, parent, grandparent, or child occupies pursuant to a lease; or
    (c) If he or she is the sole proprietor of the business, on real property owned or leased by the business.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the update Gary. This is certainly a step in the right direction.

Chris

On the Oklahoma law. I have talked to a number of small town cops about this new law regarding people from States that do not require a permit to carry. I have not found a single one that knows about the new law. This law might present more of a problem than the open carry law which will go into effect on the same day.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    At this time this new law only applies to Residents of Alaska, Arizona, Vermont and Wyoming.
    This could cause some confusion among both concealed carriers and LEOs, as Alaska, Arizona, and Wyoming all offer licenses/permits, but do not require them.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Alaska, Arizona and Wyoming have permitless Carry. They issue permit/licenses so their residents can carry in other states via reciprocity agreements. Alaska specifically mentions that on the AK DPS site. The only thing an Arizona or other states permit license allows a person to do in Arizona that permitless carry doesn't allow is carry in an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption. Arizona wrote that into their permitless carry law.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

So that will put them at 49 states that can legally carry concealed in OK, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    On the Oklahoma law. I have talked to a number of small town cops about this new law regarding people from States that do not require a permit to carry. I have not found a single one that knows about the new law. This law might present more of a problem than the open carry law which will go into effect on the same day.

Michael
    That doesn't surprise me. Of course you could probably pull out a law book of all the laws passed in the last 10 years and find many officers who don't know about lots of laws. Of course that old saying, Ignorance of the law is no excuse, works both ways. If things go correctly, the out of state guy will inform the officer that he is a resident of such and such a state, and that he is legally carrying a firearm as he presents his ID. A radio call can sort out the technicalities.

If the non-resident stays calm, doesn't make any sudden movements, and is polite, it will probably be fairly routine as the officer learns about the law. If the non-resident has an attitude and is out to prove a point about how he can legally carry, I'd expect him to take a ride.

Excuse my ignorance, but this sounds really stupid to me.

If you travel into the State of Virginia, you may open carry because Virginia is an open carry state. You don't have to be a resident.

So if Oklahoma recognizes constitutional carry - the right to carry concealed without a permit, then should not that apply to anyone within the states boundaries? Not just those from other constitutional carry states.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    ep1953 likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but this sounds really stupid to me.

If you travel into the State of Virginia, you may open carry because Virginia is an open carry state. You don't have to be a resident.

So if Oklahoma recognizes constitutional carry - the right to carry concealed without a permit, then should not that apply to anyone within the states boundaries? Not just those from other constitutional carry states.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    We hope that it will lead to that. In the mean time what they did was the only way to fully recognize legal carriers from all States.

Michael

Links