Flying With Firearm - First Experience

This is a discussion on Flying With Firearm - First Experience within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, thank you for the advice, both direct and indirect. I had to make quick trip to VA and decided to try out flying with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Flying With Firearm - First Experience

First, thank you for the advice, both direct and indirect. I had to make quick trip to VA and decided to try out flying with a firearm. This is the first time I've done this and was pleasantly surprised with my experience. My firearm (Ruger LCR) was in a GunVault which was cabled to my bag, ammo was stored in a Plano box with a small padlock, and my bag was secured (if that's what you can call it) with a TSA compliant lock. Declaration at the flight counter was easy and the Delta agent at MSP was very pleasant. TSA promptly screened my bag and I was on my way. I couldn't have asked for a better first experience and I'm holstered up in VA, which has reciprocity with MN.

Good for you. Glad to hear of the relatively painless experience.

VIP Member
    Glad it went well for you. I found that preparing in advance by knowing the rules and then being confident at the airport helps things go smoothly. My experiences flying with a firearm have all been positive.
    DoctorBob likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My son just straps his pistol onto his hip, waltzes past TSA, and boards the planes. But he's a federal agent trained in skyjacking interdiction also. For the rest of us . . .
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Glad it was a smooth experience for you.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My son just straps his pistol onto his hip, waltzes past TSA, and boards the planes. But he's a federal agent trained in skyjacking interdiction also. For the rest of us . . .
    I should find out how to sign up for that. I'd love to contribute to making the skies even friendlier. ;-)
    Last edited by EchoDeltaSierra; August 29th, 2012 at 07:06 PM.

Remember you can oc in Va. Don't know where you are in Va. but if you are in Northern Va. DO NOT CARRY INTO D.C. OR MD. Enjoy it is a pretty state.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Enjoy it is a pretty state.
    Not here; I'm just in Reston for a day of meetings.
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

Distinguished Member
    I wanted to do this last time I flew. I will next time, glad it went well.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Went the way it should, congrats!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

it pretty much matches my experience at LAX, Frontier didn't blink an eye. I watched the bag go through the X-ray machine and that was that, collected the bags at MSP and all was well.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Quote Originally Posted by EchoDeltaSierra View Post
    and my bag was secured (if that's what you can call it) with a TSA compliant lock.
    You know it's been awhile, and my memory sucks, but... you MAY have broken federal law. For some reason I'm thinking that you are required to NOT use TSA compliant locks on baggage containing firearms. You are supposed to be the only keyholder that can open the baggage.

I'm old, someone correct me if I'm wrong..
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Good Deal!

I usually print off the TSA and airline policy on firearms just in case I get any flack, and keep a copy in my computer case, but I've never had to use them. It really isn't that big a deal, in fact my apprehension was the only problem I had the first time I checked one.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post
    You know it's been awhile, and my memory sucks, but... you MAY have broken federal law. For some reason I'm thinking that you are required to NOT use TSA compliant locks on baggage containing firearms. You are supposed to be the only keyholder that can open the baggage.

Astute observation and let me clarify. My firearm was locked in a GnVault which only I had the key to. This was cabled to my suitcase which was locked with the TSA compliant lock. Originally I did not have my suitcase locked, but the gate agent recommended I do to and because I carry everything from crap to peaches with me, I just happened to have a couple of little TSA (non)locks with me.
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post

All TSA locks have a key release, even if they are combo, they are keyed. TSA has all the keys to open them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links