Applying for handgun license as disabled gun owner

This is a discussion on Applying for handgun license as disabled gun owner within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am applying for a handgun license in Indiana, but I'm not sure if I should fill in the Occupation section as "Disability - SSDI" ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Applying for handgun license as disabled gun owner

Applying for handgun license as disabled gun owner

I am applying for a handgun license in Indiana, but I'm not sure if I should fill in the Occupation section as "Disability - SSDI" and list the local Social Security office or just should I just list "SSDI" as thee Occupation and leave the rest of the info blank..

I just tried to call the Gun Permits/Identification office in the City Hall and asked the same question, but they have better hours than a banker at 4:30 lol

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What would be wrong with "None" or "None-disabled" (if they have to have a reason)?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yea, but I'd rather have something filled in even if its only a N/A so they wouldn't have a reason to deny the application because of blank answered questions.
    I don't know, that's why I asked here

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Randallgr View Post
    Yea, but I'd rather have something filled in even if its only a N/A so they wouldn't have a reason to deny the application because of blank answered questions.
    I don't know, that's why I asked here
    Both my answers would be the filled-in responses.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Retired? If you are permanently disabled that would be retired IMO.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    I'd answer it either None, or Retired. I don't consider Disabled as an occupation.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GH
    How about "Retired/Disabled"?
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

If your disabled and receiving SSDI or SSI you have a income. I'm prolly thinking into too much so I'm just going to put "none-disabled" and see how that going, I'm sure that will be fine

Receiving an income is not the issue. People who are retired and of a qualifying age can receive a pension or disbursements from an IRA or 401k. They are still retired. You are on permanent disability. You are still retired. However, in the end I doubt it matters much how you word the answer. Go with what makes you feel most comfortable.

If it were me I would put retired and send the completed application on in. I think you're reading too much into it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    How about "Retired/Disabled"?
    Exactly what I used here in North Carolina, works on IRS 1040 also.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

If the state requires a "good and sufficient" reason for application approval, you've got a point. In such states, people charged with deciding if you're worthy already deem themselves able to judge. Unlawful discrimination and unjustifiable bias exists over the concept of a disability's true debilitating nature, and many simply don't imagine a disabled person would be a target ... hence why the need for a firearm.

Reality is, "for all lawful purposes" is as justifiable for one person as the next, including a person with a physical disability. And the simple fact is, a person physically disabled in some manner is less likely to be able to fend off a violent attack without effective means, because of it. Seems to me that the physically disabled would, on average, have much greater need for something like a defensive firearm carry ability.

Your call, based on the factors.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 29th, 2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: schpelung ... spelin ... spelling
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Myk
    I was told by my instructor NOT to fill in who my employer is on my application. He said it's not info they need to have. I didn't have any delays or problems.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    IMHO your not disabled unless your receiving disability benefits. Even if your on SS disability it changes to regular retired SS benefits at 65 which would take you off of disability. Another point no matter what body parts you may not have or do not work only a doctor can make a legal determination of disabled. My draft card had (left hand missing at wrist) written right on it. Yet; I was called into be tested for the draft 3 times. I was of course always rejected but I could only could be declared 4F if I went to a doctor. I never did thank god. I was still 1A until the draft was cancelled in the late 70's.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Just a thought, "on social security". It's an honest answer, without any other implications.
    Questions asked after that, you can clarify honestly.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links