Duty to assist - revisited

This is a discussion on Duty to assist - revisited within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was trolling the forums and came across this article: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ty-assist.html This had prompted me to post the following revisiting this (and similar) matters. One ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Duty to assist - revisited

I was trolling the forums and came across this article: Minnesota duty to assist.

This had prompted me to post the following revisiting this (and similar) matters.

One items I keep in me EDC bag is a trauma kit; quick clot dressing and tourniquet. Does anyone else also feel inclined to do so? I have had prior combat medical training / experience and feel it's as important to practice first aid as it is to hone my marksmanship skills.

I hope I didn't just open a can-o-worms. ;)
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

A choice that only you can make. If the individual did something bad enough for you to shoot him, and you want to render first aid more power to you. As for me, I will leave him lie were he is. If I survive, my job is over.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    A choice that only you can make. If the individual did something bad enough for you to shoot him, and you want to render first aid more power to you. As for me, I will leave him lie were he is. If I survive, my job is over.
    I totally agree with that. This was more of my wondering if anyone else keeps a trauma kit in their EDC.
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

Seems to me that might be difficult to enforce in a lot of cases, if I have to shoot someone for trying to assault me or break into my home, no, I'm not going to want to walk over to the body on the ground lest he's faking it! I don't think I'd render assistance for that reason.

But for good people, I embellish my first aid kits with more gauze, bandages, and medicine, carry a few blankets in the truck in case we come upon an accident, and I carry baby aspirin in my purse in case I run across a heart attack victim. But then I'm a mom, so it's kind of in my genes to always be prepared!
    Spirit51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EchoDeltaSierra View Post
    I totally agree with that. This was more of my wondering if anyone else keeps a trauma kit in their EDC.
    Sorry for the mis-understanding. To answer your question, yes. It makes sense, just in case...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If I have to shoot someone, in all likihood I'll be just as tramatized as the guy I shot. Or at least that's my thoughts.
    FLArmadillo likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I do not, but have been considering it for a while. I would like to get training first, though.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

If I had to shoot them, because they were going to kill me ......... to me I have no duty beyond surviving. He should have broughten his own med kit along.
    They sure wouldn't be trying to save you or me , if they shot us.

I have a problem with a law that says "it's a DUTY" .
    GunGeezer likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I keep a trauma kit in my truck and it goes with me on all shoots. I keep it more for my family and for range idiots but would use it on a BG if the threat had been neutralized and me, my family, and/or friends were safe out of harm's way.

Hopefully I would be thinking clear enough, but I would say ideally I should call 911 and describe the gunshot wound to the operator (if it's someone I had to shoot) and then follow their instructions. Legally speaking, that would likely be the wisest move. As for the moral argument, if they needed shooting, patching them up would be a judgement call.

If it's a bystander, innocent, or I just happen upon something, I carry a first aid kit in the truck, and keep one in the range bag too. I also keep some feminine hygiene products in the first aid kits since they are sanitized and do well at stopping blood flow for a GSW. (I've had some combat first aid training too, as well as lessons on how to improvise)
    FLArmadillo likes this.

All of our kits include quick clot at my expense (not the government's). After seeing how amazing that stuff is there is no way I would not carry it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoDeltaSierra View Post
    I was trolling the forums and came across this article: Minnesota duty to assist.

This had prompted me to post the following revisiting this (and similar) matters.

One items I keep in me EDC bag is a trauma kit; quick clot dressing and tourniquet. Does anyone else also feel inclined to do so? I have had prior combat medical training / experience and feel it's as important to practice first aid as it is to hone my marksmanship skills.

I hope I didn't just open a can-o-worms. ;)
    I have no problem with rendering first aid to someone who is injured, I will not render aid to someone who I just defended myself from. I'll call 911, request police and ambulance for them, but that is the extent of aid they will receive from me.
    Spirit51 and GunGeezer like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I have no problem with rendering first aid to someone who is injured, I will not render aid to someone who I just defended myself from. I'll call 911, request police and ambulance for them, but that is the extent of aid they will receive from me.
    I'm with you 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I have no problem with rendering first aid to someone who is injured,ESPECIALLY IF IT HAPPENS TO BE A FAMILY MEMBER OR MYSELF... I will not render aid to someone who I just defended myself from. I'll call 911, request police and ambulance for them, but that is the extent of aid they will receive from me.
    Just had to add the "BOLD" above to make my agreement complete...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Most places that require you to render aid grant you some level of limited liability when you do render aid but most also have a stipulation that you not exceed your level of training or experience when doing so.

While having a full blown trauma kit is nice it's more important to know the mechanics of how to use it properly before rendering aid.

For some, it'd be a wiser investment to instead of investing in the newest and most high tech trauma kits to instead, take a current advanced first aid course.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links