Just Had an Incident

Just Had an Incident

This is a discussion on Just Had an Incident within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was sitting at my computer reading up on some emails when I heard a strange knock on my door. It was a smart-ass knock ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just Had an Incident

I was sitting at my computer reading up on some emails when I heard a strange knock on my door. It was a smart-ass knock (imagine a tune being played on your door with a fist). I stand up and look out the peep-hole and see a guy that looks alot like my neighbor wearing a hat and not looking directly at the door (side view). I open the door to see what's up (subject is standing about 4-5ft away). I quickly notice this is not anyone I know and alarms start going off left and right. This guy looks shady and he looks like an ice head. He starts nervously swaying back and forth and starts asking me really strange questions"
    "are you over 18 and looking for fun?"
    - yeah i'm 24...can I help you?
    at this point I notice him looking into the room behind me and glancing all around...as a result I pull the door closed to where he can only make eye contact with me...as my body blocks his view.

"hey watch your attitude man, ever seen girls selling magazines? well I'm selling some too...can I come in?"
    - no you can't come in...i'm not interested sorry.

"why the F--k are you talking to me like that? you didn't even give me a chance to talk to you...just let me in for a minute!"

at this point the alarms for my alarms start going off...just as he started to take a step I raised my hand, right hand went to holster (gun not removed) and I gave him the command to stop.
    he looked at me, started arguing that I was a jerk and that I didn't give him a chance to sell anything (keep in mind it is 8pm).

I looked him square in the eye and said "don't come any closer...leave the area right now or I am calling the police."

with that he turned, yelled at me, and left.

feelings on it?

I feel I did the right thing and would handle the situation no differently in the future. the subject did not know I had a gun, but probably picked up on the vibe I gave when I instructed him to stop. I feel like he was looking around to see if anyone was nearby or watching and that he was probably going to attempt to rob me or do bodily harm. I called all of my neighbors and gave them a heads-up on the situation.

All is well now... what did I learn from this?

- keep your cool
    - always pick up on body language from a subject
    - if you think you are being safe and watching around you...step it up a notch and try harder.

- i thought my radar was working fine, but now I know it is...when I am outside I will be fully prepared for some ice head around the corner...and it won't catch me off guard.

some people call that being paranoid...I now know it is merely being ready.

Stay safe out there!

Only thing i would have done different is called the police.

The thing of it looking like a neighbor can be a probley i have done the same thing years ago now i usually wont open the door unless i'm 100% sure it is soemone i know

Lead Moderator
    Personally , I would not have had that long of conversation with him. I keep my foot on the inside edge of the door whan conversing with any stranger at the door. Calling PD would be a good idea too.
    Sounds like you did well though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Basically I'd agree you did OK - the ''vibes'' probably de-escalated what might have been some hassle! Short of not having opened the door I doubt you could have played things a lot different.

Like Bud tho I'd agree too - call it in - with description etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You did everythig right except a call to LEO.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

i am going to fill out an incident form first thing in the morning. I don't want to tie up an officer out at my place to have me fill out a form when he can be doing something else.

At night I check thur the peephole in the door. I got gun allready drawed and behind my back. Crack the door on the chain, and we take it from there. So far everything has ended peacful.
    You might be a Redneck if: You've ever pruned your trees with a shotgun.

This is one of the reasons I like the modern little videocams that can be mounted around doors and windows. It's amazing what they pick up. And if something ugly should happen, you've got the perp's face on film ... without having to be face to face, have a discussion, risk a home invasion. 30yrs ago, I might have done differently. Today? Screw 'em. It's way too risky for folks I don't know. They can leave a message, note or mail. That's plenty fast for me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

well it's already been said a few times, but yeah you pretty much did everything right, only thing missing would be calling the police right then, versus a report the next day. From there, giving them all the details of the situation and his description - a cruiser in the area might have seen him and checked him out.

I Think You...

handled that very well. I would not have opened the door and Mr. Kimber would have already been in my hand (finger off trigger). I would probably not even answered such a blatant knock.
    And...I would have alerted police.

My neighbor down the street has a unique approach...many armed neighbors in this 'hood'...during the day, when (once in a while) these strange characters appear selling magazines and such, he goes out with a camera and takes a picture of the magazine seller and his van's license plate. On one ocassion that I know off...the sellers quickly disappeared...without finishing sales...imagine that!

Stay ALERT...stay safe!

Is this a sad state of affairs or what?

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You know ... it just occurred to me. A friend, some years back, related a story about someone having come onto his property and speaking just as strangely, harshly. They immediately got inside and called the police. The guy was hanging around, and when he was questioned and identified it turns out he was a former combat vet, special forces, very adept at H2H killing, and had a string of mid-level crimes under his belt. That was about 20yrs ago, for him and his family. Explains the athletic Rhodesian Ridgeback dog in their yard, the firearms training they subsequently did, as well as (essentially) my getting into responsibly preparing for my own defense.

The point is: you never know. With what perps are prepared to do these days, being unprepared could be deadly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I also would have called the PD.
    Good call on alerting the neighbors though.

There isn't much for me to add that hasn't already been said. I did experience something similiar to your event a few months back though. The magazine seller wasn't shady (and he was polite), but he never crossed the threshold into my home, nor saw more than half of my body. I had my P220 in my hand (finger off the trigger, of course).Once I established he wasn't a threat, I dropped it into my back pocket (with my hand riding the grip). It's been said; "you never know". A healthy amount of paranoia can keep your head attached.

Which raises a question:
    When do you take off your holster and pistol once you get home?

Gordo: Did you put on the holster on the way to door, or were you still wearing it? (I think this is related...not trying to hijack the thread. If I am, May the Voice of Mod smack me down, and I'll start a new thread).

As usual, I apologize for the rambling post (perhaps that should be a part of my signature....)
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

i was still wearing it. I have a habit of keeping it on me until I change clothes for the evening. Once I do that, it goes into a different holster that is then kept with me where ever I may be in my place. Normally it sits on the table or desk that I am at or near (arms reach without strain).

I talked to the SO a while ago and they are now out and about looking for these guys. After talking to my neighbor I learned that there was another subject as well...one I never saw, or made himself visual.

In a situation like IMO it is good to call the police. There may be recent crimes in the area and they are looking for a person and it may be the guy at your house. Calling lets them know where they are at that time.

I had something like this happen to me once. I came home late, about 1 a.m. and as I was pulling into my driveway I notice a guy carrying a bag walking down the street. While I was getting out of the car the guy starts walking up my driveway. He had came back to my house when he saw me pull up. He starts yelling at me that he is lost and needs directions. I told him not to come any closer and to leave. Luckily he did, after yelling at me some more. I called the police and they came out and went looking for him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links