Positive first encounter with LEO while carrying

This is a discussion on Positive first encounter with LEO while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The experience itsself wasn't all positive, but the encounter with the deputy was all good. I had to report a break in at a storage ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By ppkheat
  • 2 Post By mlr1m
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Positive first encounter with LEO while carrying

Positive first encounter with LEO while carrying

The experience itsself wasn't all positive, but the encounter with the deputy was all good.

I had to report a break in at a storage unit I rent yesterday evening. My unit is on the back side of the building, out of sight from nearby homes and the highway, and I discovered my lock cut off and the contents of my unit in dissarray. I also noticed locks missing from several other nearby units.

First off, I called the storage facility owner and left a message detailing what I found. Then I headed home and armed myself and picked up the SO ( I stopped on my way home from work and am not permitted to carry while working). We went to the hardware store and picked up a new lock (a circular type lock) and headed back to the unit.

An hour had passed since I had called the owner by the time we arrived, and I had not heard back, so I called the local sheriffs office and reported the break in. While we waited for the responding officer, we did a quick inventory and discovered the only things missing were a few boxes of DVDs. My toolboxes were undisturbed, and most of the rest was just winter stuff and odds and ends.

I also did a thourough search of the surrounding area and found several cut locks, which I noted locations of to point out to the deputy.

When the deputy arrived, I met him at the car with my DL and CCW permit in hand, and informed him I was armed. His reply was "Good, thats what I like to hear."

I assisted the officer in any way possible, and he seemed to appreciate the fact I was willing to stick around and give him a hand. I assume deputies in these large, primarily rural counties, who have to respond alone, probably do appreciate helpful citizens.

All in all, a very good experience, and it's good to know local LE likes people to take responsibility for their own safety.

2. Remove Ads

A good encounter. The way it should be.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    the only things missing were a few boxes of DVDs. My toolboxes were undisturbed,
    DVDs = personal entertainment; toolboxes = work

I've never had a post hole digger stolen from me.

Sorry about your bad luck, and sounds like a good-to-work-with deputy.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

dvds= easy to sell at a pawn shop, hard to i.d., toolboxes=possible serial numbers, easy to i.d.

the thief obviously has done this before. i say you camp out in your storage unit for a few nights and see if he comes back. lol.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Sorry you had to go through that. At least there wasn't much taken. Sounds like it was probably some misfit kids. Someone who was trying to really get some money from the property would have also taken the tools. I had a surplus of tools a few years ago so I took a spare toolbox and filled it with the extra tools and took it to a pawn shop. I got a really good sum of money for them. Of course there is probably a good sum of money to be made from the boxes of DVDs as well.

Glad the experience with the LEO was positive.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post

Hmm. I didn't even consider the tools having serial numbers. I was thinking hand tools. Yes, power tools would be much harder to safely unload.

Welcome to DC! Sorry to hear about your situation, but i'm always happy to hear about positive LEO encounters. Most LEO's share the same viewpoint.

Distinguished Member
    It's good to hear about good encounters with law enforcement. I know it was your stuff, but the loss seems small compared to what it could have been. Good odds some things will turn up somewhere and be traceable back to the thieves. Hope they are caught.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Hmm. I didn't even consider the tools having serial numbers. I was thinking hand tools. Yes, power tools would be much harder to safely unload.
    exactly. hell, my kennedy boxes have my name engraved on them, and all my measuring tools as well. even my more expensive hand tools have a number stamped on them. but i'm a metal worker...or at least i was. my tools are probably worth more than my car and guns combined.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I can't say that I've ever had any encounters or conversations with LEOs where they had any problems with legally armed and responsible citizens that carry for self defense. But for some reason I find that a lot of pro gun people have the perception that LEOs are against citizens legally carrying for self defense. When the LEO sees your CCP he knows that you are a law abiding citizen.

I'm glad that your LEO was such a good encounter. I'm also glad you shared it. Sorry about your DVDs 'tho.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

The way things looked, and from the deputy's POV, the perp was probably grabbing a few things to make a quick buck, then planning on coming back with a buddy to load up the heavier stuff later. We've had a rash of storage unit robberies here lately, and they usually take tools and valuable scrap items.

If you think about it, most folks might not check on a unit for months and the theft might not be discovered for a while.

Stole DVD's and left the tools...sounds like someone had a bunch of micro wave popcorn and had the cable cut off for not paying the bill. I personally would have rifled through the tool box for a good torque wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    Stole DVD's and left the tools...sounds like someone had a bunch of micro wave popcorn and had the cable cut off for not paying the bill. I personally would have rifled through the tool box for a good torque wrench.
    I'm missing a torque wrench.

Michael
    JoJoGunn and ppkheat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I'm missing a torque wrench.
    A SNAP-ON Torque Wrench? Relax, it's not missing, it's in my garage.
    mlr1m likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post

I had a shovel stolen from me once, found it in the backseat of my truck. They used it to smash the sliding back window out and find out that my radio was stolen the year before.

Links