Gun Control is about to become obsolete. - Page 3

Gun Control is about to become obsolete.

This is a discussion on Gun Control is about to become obsolete. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw this coming a mile away. Next phase will be 3D printers that can make more 3D printers. ... then they will become self-aware....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Gun Control is about to become obsolete.

I saw this coming a mile away.

Next phase will be 3D printers that can make more 3D printers.

... then they will become self-aware.
    Chevy-SS and myrkr like this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    I don't see it. The schematics for programming, the computer equipment required, the sheer cost of the printer and the materials needed, not to mention the metallurgical particulars of making a decent firearm all make this a very long shot. IMO, we're talking centuries..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    If you don't see it, then you are, sad to say, simply wrong.

In its simplest form, imagine a zipgun but with a much more refined handle/trigger mechanism attached to it. This can be done today.

The schematics can be downloaded from Internet for free today. The computer to run it can be bought at Best Buy for under $400.

The technology available today is not able to do anything amazingly fancy like fashioning an entire firearm from thin air, but it's only a matter of time. Can you print an 1894 Remington today? No. But you can print the lower receiver for A.R. 15. (Have Blue [dot org] & 'Wiki Weapon Project' Aims To Create A Gun Anyone Can 3D-Print At Home - Forbes)

This is the future.
    As I said, my concept was of a decent firearm...hence the mention of metal. I guess I didn't think you were talking about straight-up plastics. And if you don't think that GC advocates won't eyeball this concept in the near future, then you are simply wrong...in my opinion.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    As I said, my concept was of a decent firearm...hence the mention of metal. I guess I didn't think you were talking about straight-up plastics. And if you don't think that GC advocates won't eyeball this concept in the near future, then you are simply wrong...in my opinion.
    There's no way you could build a printing device to create a functioning reliable firearm, or a copy of an existing one.

On the other hand, wait 10 years...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member
    Are you telling me a "printer" using ink and paper can magically spit out a functioning firearm? Feed the data into a CNC machine, put a suitable piece of quality steel into the lathe, and push the start button. For a couple hundred grand(or more), and a large room to house everything, and electrical service to power it- you can have most of the parts to build your gun. If it was easy S&W, Remington, Collt, Ruger,etc. would have already figured out how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Are you telling me a "printer" using ink and paper can magically spit out a functioning firearm?
    Nope.

In about 10 years though, maybe less, a "printer" using composite materials and proper heat and/or chemical processes will be able to magically spit out all the parts to a functioning firearm... some assembly required.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Keep your high tech printers Mr. fancy pants. As long as there's steel pipes or flare guns, buckshot will always have a launcher. :P

As its already been said, ammo will be damn near impossible to get ahold of before we actually have to worry about the actual gun issue.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Why do some people refuse to accept reality?

If you doubt the existence of such technology, why don't you just watch the linked video? Or Google it?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

-- John F. Kennedy

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by beararms View Post
    Which companies are heavily involved in 3d printing?
    The market is in a correction atm so it's not really the best time to be buying stock but Rapid Prototyping, Advance Digital Manufacturing, 3D Printing, 3-D CAD | www.3dsystems.com has the best performance. Ticker symbol: DDD. Off 10% from weekly high and fell 8% yesterday.

For those who still don't believe in the feasibility of the technology: you're not alone. 3D Printing Featured On BBC, Mainstream Media Still Doesn’t Get It | WebProNews

The Army Is Deploying 3D Printers To Afghanistan | WebProNews
    beararms likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Re: Gun Control is about to become obsolete.

Printing ? I don't think that's the proper word to use anymore...

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

I hereby advocate a 3 day waiting period for said machine. Then, those who live in California can only purchase material enough to make guns that are 85% recycled material and magazines that hold only 10 rounds.
    Folks in Cook County, aka Chicago, sorry, but we won't allow you to own one. You people just want I run aroun the streets killing people.

VIP Member
    This is really fascinating. I'll be the first to admit that I am technology impared but I stopped doubting science and technology back in the 80's. We met a friend of a friend casually in a bar in Tampa who showed us something he was working on. He pulled a wooden shoe box thing out of a bag and took out a phone handset like the old rotary phone. He said before long people would be able to have their own personal phone and be able to call from anywhere...just like you could use a car phone (at that point).
    I remember thinking, "that seems a little unlikely". LOL

I now believe anything is possible.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelGnnr View Post
    SO maybe thats that why NJ and NY and them are starting to try and regulate ammo. As it is here in NY you gotta show ID and Pistol permit for any ammo almost that can go in a handgun........jeez.
    Would be a first for the government to be in front of the tech curve.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    3D Printers will soon be able to print guns.

ReadWrite – How 3D Printing Is Inflaming The Gun Control Debate

For those who don't know, 3d printing is at the same stage today that personal computing was when Woz and Jobs founded Apple. Mark my words, it's a matter of time before every home has a 3d printer. When they do, the whole issue of gun control WILL be irrelevant. When criminals can print whatever weapon they want, there will be no way to argue we should ban guns. There will be no way to keep them out of their hands.

Sorry my french... but it's a total BS.

3D printing a katana or a knife will be more faster than 3D printing a gun.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links