Gun Control is about to become obsolete.

This is a discussion on Gun Control is about to become obsolete. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 3D Printers will soon be able to print guns. http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...rol-debate.php For those who don't know, 3d printing is at the same stage today that personal ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Gun Control is about to become obsolete.

3D Printers will soon be able to print guns.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...rol-debate.php

For those who don't know, 3d printing is at the same stage today that personal computing was when Woz and Jobs founded Apple. Mark my words, it's a matter of time before every home has a 3d printer. When they do, the whole issue of gun control WILL be irrelevant. When criminals can print whatever weapon they want, there will be no way to argue we should ban guns. There will be no way to keep them out of their hands.

No way will gun control ever go away in America. With that said......

Here is another article:
    The firearm is a .22-caliber rifle developed by Wisconsin engineer and amateur gunsmith Michael Guslick. Using his Stratasys 3D printing machine and blueprints downloaded from the internet, Guslick successfully printed the lower receiver — or frame — of an AR-15 rifle and turned it into a gun.
    Gun Lobby Loves 3D-Printed Weapons | Danger Room | Wired.com
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I have been watching this technology for years. I agree that one day, may 10-15 years, these systems will be common and more affordable. I forsee file sharing sights where you can go and download a file in order to print out anything from drinking glasses to toys and even maybe firearms.

If this technology can be brought to the common market it will change the way many products are made.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    3D Printers will soon be able to print guns.

How 3D Printing Is Inflaming The Gun Control Debate

For those who don't know, 3d printing is at the same stage today that personal computing was when Woz and Jobs founded Apple. Mark my words, it's a matter of time before every home has a 3d printer. When they do, the whole issue of gun control WILL be irrelevant. When criminals can print whatever weapon they want, there will be no way to argue we should ban guns. There will be no way to keep them out of their hands.
    The ATF will finally have an excuse for why gunwalking occurs.

Working in 3D solids (math data) modeling 20+ years ago. Been involved in stereolithography (solid free-form fabrication) since it's inception. Yep, guns can be created at home. But guns have ALWAYS been creatable at home. Amazingly innovative, functional zip-guns have been build in prison. So guns from a well-equipped garage shop are a cake walk. Modern technology is making that increasingly easier & more accessible. And generally it's not illegal to build them. It's illegal to USE THEM while COMMITTING A CRIME! Just like always. Don't see this as being a big game-changer. BTY, if criminals can "create" guns, why can't they just simply create whatever they were gonna' take from me...at gunpoint? Crime seems more a function of "being criminal" than having access to the technology of tools.
    Rock and Glock and sensei2 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

So you can Print the gun. SO WhaT. the Government can regulate ammo and I doubt you Can print gun powder :) Unless you make spring loaded projectiles.
    jumpwing likes this.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

VIP Member
    Gun control and the debate over it will never go away. As to 3D printing of a gun really isn't a big deal, it's being able to manufacture it once you make the print.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    They will probably make it mandatory for 3-D Printer manufacturers to install an integral ironclad blocking feature that will prevent it from printing out anything resembling a firearm receiver.

Just like some really ultra high end color copiers today can recognize U.S. Currency and not copy it.

Pardon me if I seem a bit dumb but this is the first time I have heard of this .Please don't look at me as being stupid but I don't think I grasp what is going on here? Are you saying that you print a blueprint for making a gun , or are you saying that somehow you can print a real gun( AKA star trek style replicator?) this sounds like sci-fi to me. That just doesn't compute?

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    Pardon me if I seem a bit dumb but this is the first time I have heard of this .Please don't look at me as being stupid but I don't think I grasp what is going on here? Are you saying that you print a blueprint for making a gun , or are you saying that somehow you can print a real gun( AKA star trek style replicator?) this sounds like sci-fi to me. That just doesn't compute?
    About half way down the page... on the left... 3D printers have been around for a while... don't know of any yet that can say cut billet steel but you can make forms for casting... Article and Video
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Check out "makerbot" - it is a a consumer printer that creates objects: http://store.makerbot.com/replicator-404.html

On the Sons of Guns episode when they made the zombie gun .22 - didn't they use something similar? I thought they used a rapid prototyping machine to make the stock?

Hobby users can make almost ANY object out of ABS plastic (same stuff as Lego blocks) in 3D & are limited only by the size of their cube capacity (range of their X,Y,Z axis). More sophisticated systems can, using the same technology, can do it with ceramic, glass, carbon fiber, etc. I've even seen gold & silver used. Nothing is being "carved-away", it is being precisely layered. Stereolithography uses laser beams fired through a liquid (plastic) medium that creates a solid at the beams intersecting points. You then reach into the liquid and pull out a finished, rapidly-prototyped plastic part that, minutes ago, was nothing more than a drawing (math data) on an AUTOCAD system. It's like a "Replicator" from the old Star Trek series.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Actually alot like the star trek piece. You would input a file with 3d dimensions of an object, then the printer would spray (sort of) the material into a 3 dimensional shape that is the object.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Administrator
    Here You Go...Check it out.
    This is a home model MAKERBOT

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

SO maybe thats that why NJ and NY and them are starting to try and regulate ammo. As it is here in NY you gotta show ID and Pistol permit for any ammo almost that can go in a handgun........jeez.

On the bright side I may now be able to print me up that 223 for the yotes Ive been wanting! what...out of ink again!!!
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links