The Wife doesn't like handguns...

This is a discussion on The Wife doesn't like handguns... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; She says they're only for killing people.. But, she tolerates the S+W .40, and thinks I'm going through a cowboy phase now that I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wife doesn't like handguns...

She says they're only for killing people.. But, she tolerates the S+W .40, and thinks I'm going through a cowboy phase now that I have a CCW permit.

Some back ground : We live in the literal middle of nowhere. 1/2 mile down a dirt road that looks like an under used donkey trail, on a 5 acre fenced parcel. Not to say that we don't have visiters... several incidents over the past two years are what prompted me to get the handgun, all prompting calls to the SO, and one involving a neighbor meeting someone on his front porch with a shotgun. We once came home to find blood on our door, and the SO was looking for someone involved in a stabbing...

So, Earlier tonight about 11pm, there's a stealthy 'clunk' on the front porch, sounds like the tin watering can tipping over. I sat bolt upright on the sofa, and grabbed the S+W. We wait for about 10 or 15 more seconds, and there's another thud, off to the side of the house, sounds like someone dropping a 10 pound bag of cement in the dirt. I check out the front peep-hole, and notice the sensor hasn't activated the front lights, nor have the side lights triggered. Nothing of any size could have made it to the porch without triggering the lights, and even if the front light was blown, the side lights should have triggered as well. So, I pop the door, and step outside keeping the gun close. Turns out it was a possum, looking for an open garbage can, but settling for the garden compost heap.

But, all of a sudden, the wife decides having a gun around ain't so bad.. and how do you actually load it, and chamber a bullet, and thats the safety, and.. Guess who's going to the range to learn how to use it this weekend...

Happy ending.

Funny how simple it can be, once the brain is turned "on". All it takes is once. Good thing, in this case it's going to be before the time it's needed.

Just don't let her find the check to Bob's Trained Animals that you cut last week ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That is great! I would suggest something other than the 40 for her to shoot first. Like a 22 then 38 then 9 and lastly 40. And it is a good excuse to get more guns! Congrats.

Eventually she will want her own. My wife did and now she does!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

my wife is not much on handguns either. then, i made it a point to start cleaning ect.. in front of her. every once and awhile i would just say something like..see that, it's the trigger bar.

next thing i know she is wanting a glock 19....

She'll Be Coming 'Round The Mountain...

very soon...my wife took 32 years...now she has her own wheel gun and a permit.
    She doesn't carry much...only on long trips...but it was a start!
    Actually, now she is very comfortable with me having something on me or near me (2 sec.) ALWAYS!

Good Luck!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Isn't it funny how a simple situation can change one's tune? I have never been "afraid" of guns. I just can't hit the broadside of a barn. Understandably, all I need to do is practice. However, my husband carries a Glock 22. I would much prefer to practice with a 19.

My73LT

Good for her!

My wife & I were married for almost 14 years before she showed any interest in guns, even though we've owned some the entire time. But, when I decided to get my permit, she (pleasantly) surprised me by going along too. She got her permit 2 days before mine came in. Like retsupt99's wife, she only carries on long trips - but, as he said - it's a start.

Lady_Valerian

Welcome!

I would much prefer to practice with a 19.
    If you don't have one, maybe it's time to go shopping?

I fully intend to when we have the funds to do just that

Thank you for the welcome.

My wife was indifferent to my firearms but then she developed an interest for home defence (right after we had kids). We had some friends over (one a city cop) and the topic came up. She said if she ever hears a knock at the door in the wee hours the first thing she's doing is grabbing her S&W 38 before going anywhere near the door (I work nights). It was perfect.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Well my wife was a country lass and grew up with 8 brothers most of whom hunted. Still, she was indifferent to the whole idea of carrying untill she became handicapped. That was when we discovered crooks regard the handicapped as easier victims. Now, while shooting is not possible for her, i'm always carrying or within a few steps at home. Sad, but that's the world we've got right now. 'Course it does give me an excuse to get to the range often, got to stay sharp!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    Luckily for me , my girlfriend understands the mindset and need for defensive tools. too bad my mother does not. she is in a wheelchair and could not run /hide or escape if someone were to accost her.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Same thing happened with my wife...it seems to take a scary incident to wake some people up. We are still in the process of hunting down her new pistol.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    My father tells the story of how when he and my mother were first married, one day she came into the Kitchen and told him that there were guns in the bedroom closet. My father replied that there was also a Browning Pistol in the nightstand drawer. My mother replied that she would not stay in a house with guns in it. My father told her to pack her bags and leave. She did not pack her bags and leave and they were married for fifty years before my father died. My mother, dad and my family once went on a picnic to a private range. My young daughters and son were shooters and my mother was intrested that if they could shoot, maybe she could. She ended up shooting and at the age of 55 became a shooter. She now sleeps with one of my fathers S&W .38specials on the night stand and I take her shooting every month or so.

It's intresting how many men I know will not stand up to their wives over firearms. My first "date" with my wife of 35 years was to a range to shoot clay piegons. I just don't understand the mentality of folks who are "skeered" of guns. The worst muder I ever worked was committed with a hammer.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

If it takes a possum...

If a nocturnal possum is what it takes to convert the wife, then it is good the animal paid a visit. I have heard many stories like this - of a wife who didn't like guns that changed her mind based on one real life experience.

I am fortunate to have a wife from a rural area of Texas that grew up around guns and hunting. So she always viewed guns as useful tools, and takes comfort in having them handy. We often will go shooting together. I can't imagine having a wife that didn't like guns.

pax
    Excellent, glad to hear your wife is coming around.

Seems many of the women I know first got into shooting after an incident of some sort, like the encounter with the possum you related. I was and am a little weird; I got into it simply because I felt an increased weight of responsibility to keep my family safe and went looking for ways to do that. But I suspect I'm in the minority.

Either way, congrats to your wife and good luck to you both.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links