Indiana gun licence question

This is a discussion on Indiana gun licence question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen posts here and different site that have people talking about having/getting a gun licence and the others talk about getting a concealed ...

Thread: Indiana gun licence question

Indiana gun licence question

I have seen posts here and different site that have people talking about having/getting a gun licence and the others talk about getting a concealed weapon permit. I might be wrong, but I thought by getting a unlimited Indiana gun licence for "personal protection" would mean having a concealed weapon.

Im sorry, im new with all this stuff.

2. Remove Ads

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Randallgr View Post
    I have seen posts here and different site that have people talking about having/getting a gun licence and the others talk about getting a concealed weapon permit. I might be wrong, but I thought by getting a unlimited Indiana gun licence for "personal protection" would mean having a concealed weapon.

Im sorry, im new with all this stuff.
    I'm looking for your answer....

Indiana Concealed Carry Permit Information

Indiana is a Shall Issue State and issues concealed handgun licenses to residents of Indiana as well as out-of-state/non-residents. Shall Issue means that the sheriff must issue you a permit even after meeting all requirements for an Indiana Handgun Permit. The relevant Indiana statute is IC 35-47-2-3 which you can read here.

Indiana handgun licenses are qualified or unlimited. A qualified license is issued for hunting and target practive. Unlimited licenses shall be issued for the purpose of the protection of life and property.

KSP
    Obviously, you want to verify everything personally. Handgunlaws.us is something worth checking out. As far as I understand, you get your carry conceal license by filling out a form and getting fingerprints and bringing everything to your local sherrif's office. This allows you to carry your firearm (technically you can open carry, but this is a whole separate issue). There are of course limits to where you can carry, mostly schools and government buildings and a few other places.

If you just want to buy a gun, you don't need any license. You just need to pass a background check. From what I understand, you can buy a gun for home defense and use it at range without any license. I think you need to transport it unloaded in trunk, though. Indiana is one of the friendliest states in the union.

Thanks for all the info, Im sorry to you guys but i've had a stroke so I cant find the right works everytime. I guess ill flag down a muncie, Indiana police officer and ask him/her if having a unlimited gun licence allows someone to carry a concealed handgun with a quick and simple answer, yes or no.

My "license to carry handgun state of Indiana" says:
    "The licensee is hereby licensed by the Indiana State Police to carry on their person or in a vehicle any handgun lawfully possessed by licensee."
    I chose to get a lifetime license which has the same requirements as a 4 year just you never have to renew.
    It was very easy to do and since I live outside the city limits the sheriff is where I went to fill out the paper.
    Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware.

How can you praise freedom, and condemn that which gains and preserves it?

Quote Originally Posted by Randallgr View Post
    Thanks for all the info, Im sorry to you guys but i've had a stroke so I cant find the right works everytime. I guess ill flag down a muncie, Indiana police officer and ask him/her if having a unlimited gun licence allows someone to carry a concealed handgun with a quick and simple answer, yes or no.
    Since you're in Muncie (Delaware County) here is where you go:

Muncie Police Department Records Division
    300 N. High St.
    Muncie, IN 47305
    (765) 747-4891

Their hours are Monday through Friday from 8 am to 11:30 am and from 12:30 pm to 3:50 pm

Their email is records@munciepolice.org

Their website: Muncie Police Department | Records Division

General info from Indiana State Police on firearms licensing can be found at ISP: Firearms Licensing

Before you go to the Muncie Police Department you fill out the online gun permit application at Application for Handgun License

Instructions for the online application process are here: http://www.in.gov/isp/files/Instruct...y1_2011(1).pdf

When completing online you have the option to use a private contractor (contracted with the State of Indiana) called L1 Solutions. They charge a fee which expedites the process and they have locations for fingerprinting. The costs for a lifetime personal protection license is $75 for State Fee and $50 for local fee (You have to pay both fees).

After completing the online portion you go into the Muncie Police Department to complete the process by payment of local fees (and fingerprinting if you did not choose to use L1 Solutions).

The permitting process above ALLOWS you, one approved, to carry open or concealed subject to federal and state restrictions on places you are not allowed to carry.

Links