Question about carrying in vehicle with CWP

This is a discussion on Question about carrying in vehicle with CWP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know alot of people in SC with a CWP that carry not in a compartment or on themselves, but rather in a holster attached ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about carrying in vehicle with CWP

I know alot of people in SC with a CWP that carry not in a compartment or on themselves, but rather in a holster attached to the vehicle or even in the open. Is this legal? I would find it much easier to draw my firearm if it were in a holster between my seat however am reluctant to do so due to the laws.

Welcome to the forum. Take a look here and see if your question is covered: Handgunlaw.us
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I'm sure it depends on the law of your state.

I switch between 2 vehicles on a regular basis. My full size van is not uncomfortable to ride with my gun in it's usual IWB spot however my convertible is EXTREMELY uncomfortable no matter where I shift the position of my holster. But because it's a convertible and I don't want to be seen putting the gun in it's IWB holster when I get out of the car, I just live with uncomfortable. In the van I could switch between a tucked holster in the vehicle and IWB and not worry about being easily seen.

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In the event of having to exit the vehicle quickly, will you remember to retrieve the gun?

Thanks, but I'll wear mine while driving.

In Kentucky it's "concealed on or about you" I carry a second gun in a Desantis Kingston car seat holster so I won't have to deal with removing my CCW in the car. If I need it, it's at my finger tips. Since I have a License to carry concealed in Ky, I don't see any problem with the Kingston whether it's open or concealed about my person.

This allows me to carry my CCW without having to re tuck before exiting the car. My car gun is alway locked in the glove box when I exit the car and the car is always locked if I'm not in it.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Well, it depends:
    1. Is OC legal in SC, with or without a CC license?
    2. Is CC legal inside a vehicle without a CC license?
    3. Are there specific requirements for carrying a firearm inside a vehicle?

I ask because in FL, anyone who can legally possess a handgun can conceal it in a "private conveyence" as long as it's "securely encased," meaning: in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access. It cannot be "on the person" unless one possesses a CC license. It also cannot be openly displayed (except under certain specific circumstances).

A simple look at SC's statute on open and concealed carrying of firearms in vehicles should answer your questions.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    In SC it must be ON the cwp holder and not in a holster beside you. If not on you it must be in the glove compartment or trunk.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    In SC it must be ON the cwp holder and not in a holster beside you. If not on you it must be in the glove compartment or trunk.
    Source?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Allso in SC if you have your CWP, in a vehicle you can carry off body. such as in a closed purse,gym bag,brief case or what have you as long as it is with-in arms reach.
    Last edited by test drive; September 2nd, 2012 at 10:17 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum.

From the SC section of Handgunlaw.us :

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License
    Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it loaded if contained in a closed Glove Box, Console or Trunk. Their law is very specific on the only locations where it can be carried.

Unlawful Carrying of Handgun; Exceptions.
    It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law: 9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driverís license, registration, or proof of insurance

Bottom line is you can't mount a holster, holder, etc and be legal in the state of SC...You also cannot put in an "open" area that can be viewed. It MUST be a closed area.

OHHHH..Welcome to the forum from Florence, SC
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    What First Sgt said;
    let's express it just a little differently;
    In SC anyone who can legally own a handgun can keep it loaded in a glove compartment, console or trunk with the lid/cover closed (out of sight). This is good for out of state travelers. You must have a SC CWP to keep it anywhere else in the vehicle as this is considered concealed. There is no provision for open carry in SC so it must always be out of sight. You must have an "resident" CWP from an acceptable state to conceal carry here. SC DOES NOT recognize any states non-resident CWP. It bites, I know. You can get a SC non-resident CWP if you live out of state but own property here.

Now I don't know what part of SC you are in so keep in mind when traveling and crossing into NC the law is the exact opposite. NC is an open carry state. You can have a weapon in open plain sight but, anywhere else covered or in a closed compartment is considered concealed and you better have a CWP for that. The good news is that NC recognizes a SC CWP. If traveling westward and entering Georgia... They do not recognize a SC CWP and I do not know the requirements there for carrying a weapon in your car. I don't go to Georgia much, in fact it has been a long time. Hope that helps you.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

SC hand gun law is vague in my opinion. It states that anyone who is lawful to own a gun can keep it in their glovebox/ closed compartment with a latch. But with a CWP you can either keep it in a closed compartment or on ones-self but not in a holster between the seat with a hat over it to conceal it? I dont see the difference in having a CWP and having a firearm on you or between your seat as long as you inform law enforcement of the location.

As others pointed out it is up to the laws were you are at as to the legality. I do see where having your weapon off your body while driving could be handy. My IWB holster worn at 3:00 is damn near impossible to draw in a hurry because of the seatbelt. I have considered something mounted to the steering column to alleviate that problem.

There is the problem that some posters have mentioned on different forums that a weapon in your vehicle allows the police to enter your vehicle to retrieve it. Giving them a chance to snoop around. If it is on your person it leaves the vehicle with you. Removing their excuse to go inside your car.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links