Unpleasant Anniversaries

This is a discussion on Unpleasant Anniversaries within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by archer51 To be honest, I'd be more concerned over 11/6 than 9/11. Even though your comment was meant to be serious I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Unpleasant Anniversaries

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    To be honest, I'd be more concerned over 11/6 than 9/11.
    Even though your comment was meant to be serious I could not help but laugh.

2. Remove Ads

GH
    It's been said that the Islamist world is not known for celebrating anniversaries. I still prepare for the worst case scenarios, though. That's something we should all do regardless of a date on the calender. Terror - foreign based or home grown can strike at any place, any time. We have terrorist cells right here in the US at this time. We've dodged several bullets by vigilance & situational awareness & fast response by authorities. Always keep in mind that our counter terrorist agencies have to be right 100% of the time while a terrorist group or individual has to be right only once. I firmly believe that we'll be hit again but when,where,who & how is the big question. Be prepared.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Some anniversaries are already sharing anniversaries.

History for April 19 - On-This-Day.com

I've bolded a few that stand out.

1012 - Aelfheah was murdered by Danes who had been ravaging the south of England. Aelfhear became the 29th Archbishop of Canterbury in 1005.

1539 - Emperor Charles V reached a truce with German Protestants at Frankfurt, Germany.

1587 - English admiral Sir Francis Drake entered Cadiz harbor and sank the Spanish fleet.

1689 - Residents of Boston ousted their governor, Edmond Andros.

1713 - Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI issued the Pragmatic Sanction, which gave women the rights of succession to Hapsburg possessions.

1764 - The English Parliament banned the American colonies from printing paper money.

1770 - Captain James Cook discovered New South Wales, Australia. Cook originally named the land Point Hicks.

1775 - The American Revolution began as fighting broke out at Lexington, MA.

1782 - The Netherlands recognized the new United States.

1794 - Tadeusz Kosciuszko forced the Russians out of Warsaw.

1802 - The Spanish reopened the New Orleans port to American merchants.

1839 - The Kingdom of Belgium was recognized by all the states of Europe when the Treaty of London was signed.

1852 - The California Historical Society was founded.

1861 - Thaddeus S. C. Lowe sailed 900 miles in nine hours in a hot air balloon from Cincinnati, OH, to Unionville, SC.

1861 - The Baltimore riots resulted in four Union soldiers and nine civilians killed.

1861 - U.S. President Lincoln ordered a blockade of Confederate ports.

1892 - The Duryea gasoline buggy was introduced in the U.S. by Charles and Frank Duryea.

1897 - The first annual Boston Marathon was held. It was the first of its type in the U.S.

1927 - In China, Hankow communists declared war on Chaing Kai-shek.

1933 - U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt issued a proclamation that removed the U.S. from the gold standard.

1938 - General Francisco Franco declared victory in the Spanish Civil War.

1939 - Connecticut approved the Bill of Rights for the U.S. Constitution after 148 years.

1943 - The Warsaw Ghetto uprising against Nazi rule began. The Jews were able to fight off the Germans for 28 days.

1951 - General Douglas MacArthur gave his "Old Soldiers" speech before the U.S. Congress. In the address General MacArthur said that "Old soldiers never die, they just fade away."

1951 - Shigeki Tanaka won the Boston Marathon. Tanaka had survived the atomic blast at Hiroshima, Japan during World War II.

1956 - Actress Grace Kelly became Princess Grace of Monaco when she married Prince Rainier III of Monaco. The civil ceremony took place on April 18.

1958 - The San Francisco Giants and the Los Angeles Dodgers played the first major league baseball game on the West Coast.

1960 - Baseball uniforms began displaying player's names on their backs.

1967 - Surveyor 3 landed on the moon and began sending photos back to the U.S.

1971 - Russia launched the Salyut into orbit around Earth. It was the first space station.

1975 - India launched its first satellite with aid from the USSR.

1977 - Alex Haley received a special Pulitzer Prize for his book "Roots."

1981 - In Davao, Philippines, thirteen people were killed when members of the New People's Army threw hand grenades into the Roman Catholic cathedral during Easter services.

1982 - NASA named Sally Ride to be first woman astronaut.

1982 - NASA named Guion S. Bluford Jr. as the first African-American astronaut.

1982 - The U.S. announced a ban on U.S. tourist and business traval to Cuba. The U.S. charged the Cuban government with subversion in Central America.

1987 - In Phoenix, AZ, skydiver Gregory Robertson went into a 200-mph free-fall to save an unconscious colleague 3,500 feet from the ground.

1987 - The last California condor known to be in the wild was captured and placed in a breeding program at the San Diego Wild Animal Park.

1989 - A gun turret exploded aboard the USS Iowa. 47 sailors were killed.

1989 - A giant asteroid passed within 500,000 miles of Earth.

1989 - In El Salvador, Attorney General Alvadora was killed by a car bomb.

1993 - The Branch-Davidian’s compound in Waco, TX, burned to the ground. It was the end of a 51-day standoff between the cult and U.S. federal agents. 86 people were killed including 17 children. Nine of the Branch Davidians escaped the fire.

1994 - A Los Angeles jury awarded $3.8 million to Rodney King for violation of his civil rights.

1995 - The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, OK, was destroyed by a bomb. It was the worst bombing on U.S. territory. 168 people were killed including 19 children, and 500 were injured. Timothy McVeigh was found guilty of the bombing on June 2, 1997.

1998 - Wang Dan, a leader of 1989 Tienanmen Square pro democracy protests, was freed by the Chinese government.

2000 - The Oklahoma City National Memorial was dedicated on the fifth anniversary of the bombing in Oklahoma that killed 168 people.

2000 - Letters written by Greta Garbo were put on exhibit. The letters were made public ten years after Garbo's death.

2000 - In the Philippines, Air Philippines GAP 541 crashed while preparing to land. 131 people were killed.

2002 - The USS Cole was relaunched. In Yemen, 17 sailors were killed when the ship was attacked by terrorists on October 12, 2000. The attack was blamed on Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida network.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Anniversaries!

I would like to respond to the post that offers an opinion about a lack of fear in regards to anniversaries, etc!!

At the time in our lives when we need the threat of violence the least, I ask all members, that carry in any form, this question.

Do we not fear the unknown? Carrying is one way that we prepare for a situation that might result in violence against us!

So, in that kind of preparaton, are we not exhibiting a fear and getting ready to confront it?

I ,and my wife, have obtained our concealed permits and weapons that we feel adequate with which to defend ourselves ! That is because we no longer feel secure when we go out of our home for any length of time. Fear, trepidation, or a feeling of impending disaster?

Just my two cents worth!

Have a great day from 75 degrees and sunny Oregon in the best country in the world!! The USA!

How about November 4, 2008???

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    My birthday happens to be 9/11 and each "anniversary" of that day makes me dislike a certain group of people I personally hold responsible for ruining it for me, for life.

Anniversaries of Waco, Oklahoma or any one of a dozen school shootings such as Jonesboro are going to be remembered.

Also the Locherbie bombing. The bombing of the Marine Barracks in Lebanon....we have a huge list.
    My wife's birthday, also, is on 9/11. She hates that day now.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

There is an advertisement I hear lately that asks: "What are you going to do to commemorate 9/11?

I really want to say "k i | | a t e r r o r i s t" but that is not PC so I will keep it to myself.
    Spidey2011 likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Ah, no sports fans. Tomorrow is the 40th anniversary of one of the most infamous terrorist attacks of all time, the hostage-taking and eventual murder of nine Israeli athletes and coaches at the 1972 Munich Olympics by the Black September terrorist organization. Yup, it was Sept. 5, 1972.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmglock23 View Post
    Ah, no sports fans. Tomorrow is the 40th anniversary of one of the most infamous terrorist attacks of all time, the hostage-taking and eventual murder of nine Israeli athletes and coaches at the 1972 Munich Olympics by the Black September terrorist organization. Yup, it was Sept. 5, 1972.
    That did not happen, or else it would have warranted a moment of silence at the Olympic games. I forgot, the MOS was vetoed by the Arab members. For me to comment further would run afoul of the Moderators.

I too will not live in fear but I will live better prepared and more aware. I lost over 100 of my coworkers that day, not a good memory. My vow was to become as knowledgeable as possible as to the background of "radical Islam" and the terrorist movement it has spawned. Several hours a day devoted to the subject (I am a voracious reader). Again, I do not want to go political but we all should be very very worried. Much more than you think.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    That did not happen, or else it would have warranted a moment of silence at the Olympic games. I forgot, the MOS was vetoed by the Arab members. For me to comment further would run afoul of the Moderators.

I too will not live in fear but I will live better prepared and more aware. I lost over 100 of my coworkers that day, not a good memory. My vow was to become as knowledgeable as possible as to the background of "radical Islam" and the terrorist movement it has spawned. Several hours a day devoted to the subject (I am a voracious reader). Again, I do not want to go political but we all should be very very worried. Much more than you think.
    As far as know there is not a vote or a situation where members can 'veto'. It was a decision by the IOC which they have been making for the last 40 years.

Still disgustiing
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

You can keep wandering about feeling bad about those days and keep your own flag at half staff or you can realize that we took the fight to them and hold your head high because Bin Laden is dead, Sadaam is dead and al-quaeda is flatlining.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    You can keep wandering about feeling bad about those days and keep your own flag at half staff or you can realize that we took the fight to them and hold your head high because Bin Laden is dead, Sadaam is dead and al-quaeda is flatlining.
    Agree with the first part, totally disagree with what is bold. Total waste of US and Iraqi lives for nothing but a feel good thing....did nothing for our security, did nothing to protect our rights, did nothing....
    Oh, why the heck are we still in Afghanistan?....mission was accomplished 6 months in to the invasion (Bin Laden was just a bonus, not a requirement)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    The IOC capitulated to objections from the Arab members. Not a veto as such but still the same effect.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Maybe don't visit a local Government HQ or financial center or other iconic locale on the 11th, but that's it really. Don't let the terrorists terrorize. Stupid places, people, and verbs should be avoided as always.

Sept 11th is never the happiest day for me. It's the day my innocence (as far as those types of affairs go) was lost. I remember turning on the TV (in elementary school mind you) and seeing people jumping to their death instead of burning. That's rough for a kid. But then I think of the things little kids in certain other countries see at younger ages, and I feel pretty damn lucky. God Bless America.
    I remember that feeling. I was still in elementary school too. The bus driver announced it over the speakers as we were pulling up the driveway to school. By the time we got inside, everyone was gathered around the TV in the office. That definitely wasn't your typical day at school.

I'm actually less worried on 9-11 than other days about terrorism. I do remember hearing about a foiled "commemorative" attack at one point, but terrorists are far less concerned about commemoration than they are about maximum psychological effect. From that perspective, it's 'better' to have people moderately afraid on two days than more afraid on one day of the year. Even better is the constant fear of something happening at any time, so best not to connect to the calendar at all.

But, that's why we CANT, isn't it? Because we never know when something will happen?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links