When concealed carry becomes open carry

This is a discussion on When concealed carry becomes open carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok not sure where to start. In some states open carry is illegal but concealed carry is ok with the proper paper work. Now if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: When concealed carry becomes open carry

When concealed carry becomes open carry

Ok not sure where to start. In some states open carry is illegal but concealed carry is ok with the proper paper work.
    Now if for some reason your weapon becomes visable its now open carry and illegal. I guess you are subject to a fine or arrest if someone reports it or a police officer see it. The question I have is how does that work in states Like Virginia
    where open carry is legal and concealed carry is legal if you have a permit. What is the issue if your conceal firearm becomes unconcealed. Seems like a poor job of concealment would just get you funny looks or the usual that man has a gun over there you need to call the police. I'm just not sure if that issue is universal in like states. Anyone ever had this crop up during carry?
    R

2. Remove Ads

Lot's of people want OC laws for that very reason: in case their gun becomes accidentally visible.

I'd suggest just being a little more careful concealing.
    Rhcmlc likes this.

sgb
    In before the anti open carry crowd.
    ericb327 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    In before the anti open carry crowd.
    Missed it by that much...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If OC is legal, then no foul. The question by a LEO at that point would be if you had a CC permit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Why not just make sure that you have a permit and erase all worry?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

DC
    I'm in VA and I CC but I work outside and sometimes I take off my shirt and I don't care who sees it. No big deal.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall757 View Post
    Ok not sure where to start. In some states open carry is illegal but concealed carry is ok with the proper paper work.
    Now if for some reason your weapon becomes visable its now open carry and illegal. I guess you are subject to a fine or arrest if someone reports it or a police officer see it. The question I have is how does that work in states Like Virginia
    where open carry is legal and concealed carry is legal if you have a permit. What is the issue if your conceal firearm becomes unconcealed.
    Seems like a poor job of concealment would just get you funny looks or the usual that man has a gun over there you need to call the police. I'm just not sure if that issue is universal in like states. Anyone ever had this crop up during carry?
    R
    There is no issue if it happens. If you are carrying a weapon legally (not in a "no gun" zone). No laws are being violated. Not saying that in some parts of VA (NoVA and the VA Beach area) some idiot will call the police. I live and work in the Richmond area. I have OC'd 95% of the time since moving to VA in 98. Never encountered a problem, even when work has taken me outside the Richmond area.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I lived in Virginia for 14 years. Back before you could conceal carry in a place that serves alcohol in Virginia, we had to do the "Virginia Tuck." Just before entering the establishment, I had to tuck my shirt behind my holstered handgun so that it was openly visable. No problem.

In Virginia, you can open carry without a permit (which I did for some time before I got mine). If you have a permit and are concealing and it becomes unconcealed, no big deal. If someone says something, just cover it up and say "oops, thank you." If they call a police officer, show him your permit and say it accidentally was exposed. Sometimes, it happens.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Florida has a law covering brief exposure as long as it is not intentionally displayed

In MI it doesn't matter because OC is legal. No "OC license" needed.
    The bigger problem is if you are OCing and your gun accidentally becomes covered - and you don't have a concealed pistol license...

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Kentucky has both. Just because you are printing doesn't mean you're doing a bad job concealing. Since both are legal here I don't go out of my way to completely conceal all the time.

I'm not worried about deep concealment when I walk to get coffee at 4am!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

GH
    We also have an open carry-no permit law in Wisconsin ("Constitutional Carry"). Concealed carry requires a license, open carry doesn't. From reading the various forums it seems that many states have a different policy on open carry, concealed carry & accidental display of a concealed firearm including "printing". Hopefully someone from Virginia will spell out your particular law for you right here on this forum. I'm sure others have wanted to know, too, & checked it out. That failing, I guess you'll have to dig out the law yourself. Sometimes even law enforcement agencies are unaware of gun laws. That would be a good place to start, though. Try to Google "gun laws, Virginia" & see what comes up if your questions go unanswered here.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    Florida has a law covering brief exposure as long as it is not intentionally displayed
    Yet people are still being arrested and prosecuted for open carry due to "brief exposure" .......... Florida LE is doing exactly what the Florida Sheriffs Association promised would not happen when they opposed the open carry bill.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

In Va. it is a non issue. You are legal. I open carried in Cheasepeake and Hampton area with no problems. In CO it is a non issue except in Denver. Even in Denver accidental exposure is not a problem with LE if you have a permit.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links