19 with conceal and carry?

This is a discussion on 19 with conceal and carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Currently, I'm 19 years old. To gain a ccw in Missouri, you have to be 23 My friend from Iowa, claims that he sent in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19 with conceal and carry?

Currently, I'm 19 years old. To gain a ccw in Missouri, you have to be 23

My friend from Iowa, claims that he sent in a an application to get a non-resident ccw from Maine, and now he can carry his 9mm around in Iowa, even though you have to be 21 to get a ccw from that state.

It just seems like either he's lying, or it's some major loophole.

My question is... Can you send in an application to get a ccw from a state with a lower age requirement (that issues non-residents ccw's), and still carry it in your own state?

Or does it mean that you can carry it in that state even though you don't live there? (My believing)

Thanks in advnace everybody

Generally, having a non-resident license from a given state means that you can carry in states that honor that state's non-resident permit. However, most (all?) states that I know of do not allow their residents to carry with a non-resident permit from another state even if they normally honor the other state's non-resident permit. I do not specifically know about Iowa.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

The law regarding CCW age in Missouri changed recently, I believe last year.

You can get your CCW in Missouri at age 21 now, that isn't nearly as long of a wait for you!

I just looked at handgun law usa,if your friend isn't 21 year old then he is illegally carrying a concealed weapon,Iowa honore other states non residents (BUT YOU MUST BE 21)
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

According to the info pamphlet here, a MO resident can carry in the state with an out of state permit. Some states (like PA) do this. Some, (like SD) do not.

However, the 18 year age on a permit from ME may cause an issue. Some states specify that permit holders from other states that are below the age of issuance is the state under question are not recognized. I did not readily find anything on that point in MO laws, but it bears further investigation. IA is one state that specifies the permit holder must be 21, so your underage friend is not legally carrying in IA.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I would start here Handgunlaw.us

There are state-specific threads here OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum where you can ask people from your state whoa re generally well-versed in gun laws (although, your best bet might be to call the attorney general's office).
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

My understanding is that when in a state different from the state from which you obtained your permit you must follow the laws of the state you are in. Therefore it would seem to me that you would have to be 21 in MO, regardless of whether or not you can obtain a permit from another state at an earlier age. Of course I would caution you not to take my word for it, or that of anyone here, well versed in the law though they may be. I would very highly recommend you check the laws of your state yourself. I would start with handgunlaw.us and then go and read the actual firearms code for MO.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Regardless of the issuing state, one must comply with the firearms laws of the state you're in. If MO allows CC at 18, 21, 23 or whatever, that's the legal age to CC in MO.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

People in PA get Maine licenses so they can carry at 18....used to be they got Maine then NH because NH will issue to any non resident who has a permit from another state....someone with a NH or Al permit that issues at 18 could carry here in GA but our own residents couldnt :P
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

I'd be awfully careful about cheating.......

I would do some research with the links given and highly reccomend you ask someone who definitely knows the law. Interesting question that is probably applica le for some folks. Let us know what you find out. And welcome from So Cal!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

you must be 21 to carry a hand gun, and if you lie on you application you may not get it at all.

Any sort of age limit should be unconstitutional. Anybody who has need to own and carry a gun for self defense whether they are 80, 48, 18, or 08 should be able to carry one. The 2nd Amendment says nothing about age requirements.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Any sort of age limit should be unconstitutional. Anybody who has need to own and carry a gun for self defense whether they are 80, 48, 18, or 08 should be able to carry one. The 2nd Amendment says nothing about age requirements.
    The constitution doesn't say a lot of things....

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by houdini View Post
    you must be 21 to carry a hand gun, and if you lie on you application you may not get it at all.
    That is not true of every state, if you are speaking in regards to MA, sure thing. Just remember that not all states are 100% the same across the board regarding age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links