How do you carry in the rain???

This is a discussion on How do you carry in the rain??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm We used to call it " liquid sunshine ". Maybe you should get with some military vets or outdoors men and ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: How do you carry in the rain???

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    We used to call it " liquid sunshine ". Maybe you should get with some military vets or outdoors men and have a chat.
    LOL, right glockman, I'm with you. BTW, I've always liked your avatar but have been meanin' to ask - are you the one with the cap & glasses or the taller one with the...big ears?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    LOL, right glockman, I'm with you. BTW, I've always liked your avatar but have been meanin' to ask - are you the one with the cap & glasses or the taller one with the...big ears?
    LoL, the one with the big ears is my political mascot.
    But I gotta tell you, it was very difficult standing still for that pic knowing she was walking up on me!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Wet...

Don't some people call the new polymer guns "Tupperware guns". I carry an M&P and the rain doesn't bother it and it keep my ammo fresh.

I would usually either have a rain jacket or an umbrella...anyway, Glocks shoot underwater.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    FYI, some states punch holes in driver's licenses to indicate that they have been suspended/cancelled/replaced.
    I punched the hole with a nail, so it would be small. It doesn't in any way look like when they punch them with hole punchers. In any case, I am not aware of that practice being used in Arkansas (I have gotten replacement DL once before) and when I got pulled over the cop didn't even ask about it. Doesn't seem to be an issue here
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaviorShot View Post
    I've been trying to find info on this an there's not much out there other then make sure u wipe the gun off a oil/clean as soon as you get home. I currently have a pf9(which runs good) and a lc9 for concealed carry. I use the pf9 when it's rainning or snowing bc it's a lower cost gun an comes with lifetime warrenty. I'm curious as to what/how you carry in bad weather. I was looking into buying a used 380 for bad weather days but haven't yet. I have used clear nail polish on my pf9 carry ammo to try an keep reliability there. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Thanks SaviorShot
    Spray the gun down with Barricade or a similar water displacer. You should be doing this when cleaning anyway.
    Unless you OC, the gun shouldn't get wet anyhow. It should be holstered and covered up under your jacket/shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Weapons fire when wet. They should be cleaned well when you get home but water does not kill a weapon or the rounds.
    Oil kills powered and primers not water
    Even oil will most likely not harm a primer, see linked torture test, 6 weeks with primers soaked in oils, all fired OK.

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

Would I carry these rounds for self defense? No, but if I pick up a round with oil on my fingers I am not going to toss it in the trash either.

PB2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    My concern is more printing when my shirt gets soaked rather than being concerned about the gun getting wet. I keep a rain coat in my car in case I get caught out in a heavy rain - especially during the kids football seasons when I'll have to be out in it awhile.
    Lish, I'm thinking if your shirt gets that soaked no one, men at least, will notice a pistol printing.

To answer the original question...The WD in WD40 stands for WATER DISPLACEMENT.
    Lish likes this.

My friend is a commercial diver. Thye carry "bang sticks" for sharks.
    A bang stick, for those unfamiliar with the nomenclature, is a handspear, with a thingie on the end which is capible of firing fire-arm ammo when it is presesed hard or rebounds off the shark. He had a .223, and a 44 mag. Think about it: the ammo goes up to 180' (50 meters underwater) which is 6 atmospheres total, or roughly 72 PSI and does not hurt the ammo. We took a 44 mag which had been submerged 4 times and fired it and it worked.
    I would not woory about the ammo getting sick, I worry about me getting sick.
    If I got really soaked, I will squirt some WD 40 into the action, followed by shop air. (Unloaded of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
    Lish, I'm thinking if your shirt gets that soaked no one, men at least, will notice a pistol printing.

To answer the original question...The WD in WD40 stands for WATER DISPLACEMENT.
    That makes me feel better...I think...LOL I've been so worried about the gun printing on the back of my shirt I forgot about the front...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Same as any other day.
    A hundred time this! We had a saying while I was on active duty, train like you fight. If you change how or what you carry based on the weather, if the time comes and you are not carrying your "normal" carry weapon, a lot of bad things can happen. And most of them to you.

"Neither Rain nor Snow Nor Dark of Night"..... Yeah if I am awake and not in the shower I have my HK on..... N FYI coldest day was here in MI -20 hottest Bumblebee AZ 115, always!!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Another way to carry in the rain is, with your head down and walk a little quicker!
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I normally sing and stomp my feet in the puddles.

Jim
    Luckey1115 likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links