Went to a movie theater today

This is a discussion on Went to a movie theater today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Toorop Actually they mean "No Guns Allowed" unless I am mistaken. Do signs that say "No Tresspassing" have any meaning? No gun ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Went to a movie theater today

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Actually they mean "No Guns Allowed" unless I am mistaken. Do signs that say "No Tresspassing" have any meaning?
    No gun signs carry no weight of law in Florida. Only the state can dictate gun laws in Florida (federal exceptions of course). City, county, and private property owners may not establish gun law, only the state and disallowing legal carry is setting law. You can be asked to leave private property for any reason. They mean the owner wishes not to have guns on his property, however, it is not a crime to carry them. All they can do is ask you to leave. Would a sign saying "heroin legal" mean you could use it on that property? No, because private property owners cannot establish laws regarding drug use.
    BTW-private property owners MAY posts property as no trespass as dictated by state law. Apples to oranges.
    jem102 and Jeanlouise like this.

2. Remove Ads

CJM
    So you went to the theater and saw film. And nobody tried to take your guns away or look through your wife's purse? And they didn't have any signs prohibiting firearms? Amazing.

In all seriousness if they had gunbuster signs, what would you have done?
    Well, I'm sure the op was referring to the happenings of late where gun buster signs are up at theaters and they are asking to search women's purses upon entry.

Actually they mean "No Guns Allowed" unless I am mistaken. Do signs that say "No Tresspassing" have any meaning?
    Nice straw man there little fella'. No Trespassing signs most often do carry the weight of the law, while in many states the "No Guns Allowed" signs do not. I consider my body to be my personal space and absolutely none of anyone else's business as to what I have underneath my clothing, and I have no problem ignoring gun buster signs which do not carry the weight of law here. I will not carry into any place that is illegal for me to carry into. I will avoid those places if at all possible.
    GunGeezer likes this.

We went to the movies a couple of weeks ago in Houston and nothing posted or security/leo around. So just kept enjoying the outing.
    A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hand.
    SENECA the younger
    Roman stoic philosopher
    4 B.C. - 65 A.D.

So you went to the theater and saw film. And nobody tried to take your guns away or look through your wife's purse? And they didn't have any signs prohibiting firearms? Amazing.

In all seriousness if they had gunbuster signs, what would you have done?
    What a surprise isn't it? It's sad these things not happening is thread worthy.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    No meaning in Colorado either, just have to leave if asked; as to what would I have done if it were posted...... reminds me of an old song "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies...."
    Actually, signs do mean something in Colorado. Private Property owners or tenants can post no carry signs and that makes it a place prohibited to carry. Doing so may result in a trespass citation (petty offence I think). Most will just ask you to leave, but I wouldn't count on it, expecially if they have cop handy outside to cite you.

Went to the theater the other day and made sure to give a thorough once-over for a no guns sign before we bought our tickets. I just don't bother supporting a business that wants to limit my right to defend myself.

I remember years ago when a tourist was murdered at a rest area here in FL, they had armed security guards at all the rest areas after that happened.... And in a month there were only guards at the bigger rest areas. Then there were only guards at night. Then they were unarmed guards. And pretty soon people forgot about why they were there. My local bank got robbed and the next day there was an armed guard there. And a month later it was an unarmed guard.... Then when people forgot about what had happened there was no guard at all.

It's about money and attention span and show. Nothing more.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

In states like Florida and Washington, "No Guns" signs mean "The Management believes that dying in a spree shooting is somehow morally superior to a private citizen with a dead would-be-murderer at his feet", but are not enforceable by law.

Of course, "no trespassing" signs don't actually have meaning of their own though... you aren't any less guilty of trespassing if you are on private property without permission just because the sign isn't there.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I've literally been to dozens of theaters and seen hundreds of movies while carrying.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Went to a movie on Monday while carrying. I was visiting relatives in Ohio where they don't have a stupid prohibition on places that charge admission like they do in my home state. Didn't see any signs, nobody was checking bags, nothing.

Went to a carmike sat night. Was posted and there was a few cops there but I carried my glock 17 and nobody searched anything or said anything. Concealed is concealed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

I live in S.C. but so close to N.C. that I used to go to movies there. We had only one theater here and it was often crowded and took a long time to get in. but now that I cc the laws in N.C. will not let you carry anywhere you pay to get in. I no longer go there to the movies. I don't go very often anyway because of all the jerks that come in late and act like they are in thier livingroom at home . They talk loudly and use thier cell phones and get up and down all thru the movie. The last time my wife and I went some lady brought in what seemed like her whole neighborhood about eight or nine kids. All of them had cell phones and I would almost swear that they were texting each other as they sat in the theater.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My guess would be, checking bags is to prevent someone from bringing in their own candy and drinks more so than guns, unless a cop is doing the checking.

Went to a Home Show at Tropicana Field in Florida a few yrs. ago. They were searching purses and bags of any kind. Those days, I carried in a fanny pack with a break-away rear compartment. In the front I carried my keys and wallet. They searched it never finding my gun. Boy did that ever make me feel safe! My anti-gun friend said later, " I thought you always carried your little friend." I just smiled.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    My guess would be, checking bags is to prevent someone from bringing in their own candy and drinks more so than guns, unless a cop is doing the checking.
    Camcorders. The MPAA claims to lose billions every year on in-theater piracy, so they require all venues to bag-search for cameras. Candy as well though, as the only real money that the theater makes is on concessions.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Went to the movies last Thursday here in CT ... no signs anywhere.
    On the way out I asked the General Manager on their policy. He said "the Rave theater group has a corporate policy of no firearms".

Yes I was and he didn't ask (freaked out the wife).
    “To see what is right and not do it, is want of courage”. Confucius

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links