Went to a movie theater today

This is a discussion on Went to a movie theater today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by livewire Isn't it great that we live in a state where we don't need to worry about it Not condoning or condemning ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Went to a movie theater today

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Isn't it great that we live in a state where we don't need to worry about it
    Not condoning or condemning the action either way, but one of the reasons given for a proposal to do away with the Jim Crow era prohibition of "places that charge admission" such as movie theaters in NC is the recognition that this particular law has a very low compliance rate.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Actually, signs do mean something in Colorado. Private Property owners or tenants can post no carry signs and that makes it a place prohibited to carry. Doing so may result in a trespass citation (petty offence I think). Most will just ask you to leave, but I wouldn't count on it, expecially if they have cop handy outside to cite you.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrulz View Post
    Actually the signs in colorado have no weight of law. If you are found carrying they must first ask you to leave, the police can only be involved and the carrier issued a ticket if they refuse. The owner of a private establishment can tresspass anyone for any reason any time. A carier must leave any time they are asked, whether it is posted or not.
    I stand corrected. I just recently researched it myself since I had heard both that they hold the force of law, but that they had to be posted on all doors. Both of those things I heard are false. The pertinent statute is:

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Revised Statutes 18-4-201(3)
    A person who, regardless of his or her intent, enters or remains in or upon premises that are at the time open to the public does so with license and privilege unless the person defies a lawful order not to enter or remain, personally communicated to him or her by the owner of the premises or some other authorized person.
    Since signs are not "personally communicated...", they hold no power. This is for places that are opened to the public. The statute goes on to say that either "personally communicated" or No Trespassing signs are fine for unimproved land. This and other pertinent statutes are in the Burglary and Trespass sections of the C.R.S. and do not mention weapons or firearms at all - they are general trespassing laws. In the concealed weapons section of the law, signs are not mentioned at all.

(just my ill-informed opionion here - hopefully a little less ill-informed than it used to be. Do not interpret this as legal advice.)

VIP Member
    Our local Rave Theater posted recently. My wife and I noticed it a couple if weeks ago. We went to a different theater and then I fired off the following. Rave personnel did not respond.

To Whom It May Concern:

My wife and I wanted to watch Red Dawn today so we drove to your West Chester, Ohio theater to see the show. When we got there, I noticed that you have chosen to post the theater prohibiting law-abiding citizens with concealed carry permits from enjoying the movie while armed. My wife and I went to another area theater to see the movie. You have lost your competitive edge in the market for me.

I drive past a Showcase Theater, which has been posted for years, to get to the Rave. This adds about 15 minutes to my drive, but I have gladly gone to the Rave because it appeared that management of the Rave wanted the business of law-abiding citizens who care about their safety and that of their family. In the Cincinnati market you continue to have competition that is not posted and is equidistant from my house as the Rave.

I suspect that you have decided to post your theaters in the wake of the Colorado theater shootings. It is interesting to note that that shooting took place in a theater that was posted to keep out guns. It succeeded in keeping out the guns of law-abiding citizens, but not those of at least one criminal. In fact, the criminal may have been more likely to have chosen the theater he did simply because management had taken the time to post the theater. This assured him he would not fact armed resistance from law-abiding citizens.

I fail to understand the position you have taken that keeps law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves in your theaters while announcing to the criminal underworld that “here is a safe zone in which to practice your warped arts.” If you look at the mass murders of the last 20 or so years, the vast, vast majority have taken place at locations that are posted to preclude law-abiding citizens from bringing their legally owned and carried weapons onto the premises. Obviously, the creation of gun-free zones has not stopped criminals from walking right past the signs establishing those zones with their weapons.

Under Ohio law, you have every right to post your theaters to keep guns of law-abiding citizens out. Your patrons, however, also have every right to find alternative theaters or venues where they can spend their entertainment dollars while armed. Understand that your signs will only keep out the guns of law-abiding citizens and may enhance the desirability of your theaters for armed criminals who will see your theaters as environments in which they can operate with relative safety.

The Supreme Court of the United States has informed us, in Warren -v- District of Columbia (and several other cases) that we are responsible for our own protection and the police cannot be relied upon for this service. While the police may well provide their services, they are not obligated to so do. Even if they do provide their services, they are not likely to be at the spot of the crime as it unfolds to stop it. Generally, they bring their chalk and yellow tape. The one policeman that you have in the lobby on weekends is not likely to be much more effective than was the similarly-situated policeman in the Colorado theater.

Under Ohio law, your posting your theaters does not create any additional burden on you if someone were to, God forbid, come in and shoot up one of your theaters. Given that neither Rave Theaters nor the police are obligated to protect me or my family and Rave Theaters has adopted a policy that precludes me from protecting myself if I were to go to your theater, I have no further plans to use Rave Theaters unless and until its theaters are un-posted and law-abiding personnel are again allowed to bring their legally-permitted weapons into the theater. I have options where I live and I will use them. While I think your theaters are well constructed and comfortably appointed, your recent posting of the theater renders it not worth the risk to attend a movie at your establishment.

Should you decide to change your policy, please let me know. I don’t get to West Chester that often and I certainly will not make a drive there just to see if you have removed the no-guns sign. If the sign comes down, and you let me know, I will again patronize your establishment. I appreciate your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Our local Rave Theater posted recently. My wife and I noticed it a couple if weeks ago. We went to a different theater and then I fired off the following. Rave personnel did not respond.

To Whom It May Concern:

My wife and I wanted to watch Red Dawn today so we drove to your West Chester, Ohio theater to see the show. When we got there, I noticed that you have chosen to post the theater prohibiting law-abiding citizens with concealed carry permits from enjoying the movie while armed. My wife and I went to another area theater to see the movie. You have lost your competitive edge in the market for me.

I drive past a Showcase Theater, which has been posted for years, to get to the Rave. This adds about 15 minutes to my drive, but I have gladly gone to the Rave because it appeared that management of the Rave wanted the business of law-abiding citizens who care about their safety and that of their family. In the Cincinnati market you continue to have competition that is not posted and is equidistant from my house as the Rave.

I suspect that you have decided to post your theaters in the wake of the Colorado theater shootings. It is interesting to note that that shooting took place in a theater that was posted to keep out guns. It succeeded in keeping out the guns of law-abiding citizens, but not those of at least one criminal. In fact, the criminal may have been more likely to have chosen the theater he did simply because management had taken the time to post the theater. This assured him he would not fact armed resistance from law-abiding citizens.

I fail to understand the position you have taken that keeps law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves in your theaters while announcing to the criminal underworld that “here is a safe zone in which to practice your warped arts.” If you look at the mass murders of the last 20 or so years, the vast, vast majority have taken place at locations that are posted to preclude law-abiding citizens from bringing their legally owned and carried weapons onto the premises. Obviously, the creation of gun-free zones has not stopped criminals from walking right past the signs establishing those zones with their weapons.

Under Ohio law, you have every right to post your theaters to keep guns of law-abiding citizens out. Your patrons, however, also have every right to find alternative theaters or venues where they can spend their entertainment dollars while armed. Understand that your signs will only keep out the guns of law-abiding citizens and may enhance the desirability of your theaters for armed criminals who will see your theaters as environments in which they can operate with relative safety.

The Supreme Court of the United States has informed us, in Warren -v- District of Columbia (and several other cases) that we are responsible for our own protection and the police cannot be relied upon for this service. While the police may well provide their services, they are not obligated to so do. Even if they do provide their services, they are not likely to be at the spot of the crime as it unfolds to stop it. Generally, they bring their chalk and yellow tape. The one policeman that you have in the lobby on weekends is not likely to be much more effective than was the similarly-situated policeman in the Colorado theater.

Under Ohio law, your posting your theaters does not create any additional burden on you if someone were to, God forbid, come in and shoot up one of your theaters. Given that neither Rave Theaters nor the police are obligated to protect me or my family and Rave Theaters has adopted a policy that precludes me from protecting myself if I were to go to your theater, I have no further plans to use Rave Theaters unless and until its theaters are un-posted and law-abiding personnel are again allowed to bring their legally-permitted weapons into the theater. I have options where I live and I will use them. While I think your theaters are well constructed and comfortably appointed, your recent posting of the theater renders it not worth the risk to attend a movie at your establishment.

Should you decide to change your policy, please let me know. I don’t get to West Chester that often and I certainly will not make a drive there just to see if you have removed the no-guns sign. If the sign comes down, and you let me know, I will again patronize your establishment. I appreciate your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
    Nicely written, and persuasive.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

nice letter ksholder
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Nicely written, and persuasive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    nice letter ksholder
    Thanks guys. If you or anybody else wants to use all or part of the letter to send to the Rave or, with proper editing, any other business, I have no problems with that.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links