Proof of Knowledge of Handgun Safety?

This is a discussion on Proof of Knowledge of Handgun Safety? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For me to send in my application for ccw for Maine, I have to send in proof of knowledge of handgun safety. I've never taken ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By JaySkiBum
  • 4 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Proof of Knowledge of Handgun Safety?

Proof of Knowledge of Handgun Safety?

For me to send in my application for ccw for Maine, I have to send in proof of knowledge of handgun safety. I've never taken a course in my life, but I've been around just about every type of firearm my whole life.

The only thing involving guns that I've taken a class for was my hunters safety class.

Would that count as proof of knowledge?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I do not believe so.
    Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Safety/Education Courses

Top right: Find NRA's education and training course(s) near your area. (Required for concealed weapons permits)

NRA Basic Pistol is what you'll need. Also as a heads up, Maine State Police are the only issuer for out of state licenses. They also handle all resident permits for towns without a large enough municipality to issue their own, so they are WAAY backed up (you can thank all the druggies robbing pharmacies for that) so get it in ASAP.

I was in the same situation. What I did is called up a trainer and explained to him and he was kinda skeptical at first. But once he met me and talked to me he could tell I was very experienced in all types of firearms. So he watched me shoot for about forty five minutes and had me do some speed shooting, then said he really couldnt offer me any shooting tips since I was as good as he was. So he just signed a training certificate saying I had demonstrated profieciency with handgun, I think he put on there basic pistol course or something. Charged me 30 bucks.

Do you have a DD-214?

What? "Proof of Knowledge of Handgun Safety"? How many states are requiring this now?

I sure wish I could require of my Congressional Representatives a "Proof of Knowledge" about...ANYTHING!
    F350_6, LenS, mjb65 and 2 others like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Even local municipalities are backed up, took me 2 months to get mine when the law states it will take 30 days or less. I think the biggest delay was the paperwork that had to get sent to the State dealing with mental illness and the other stuff to prove you're not a crazy.

Maine is a great state to carry in, very few issues to worry about. I wish they had reciprocity with NH though, that's the only thing that bugs me.
    Spovik likes this.

I second the NH reciprocity. My buddy in Fairfield got his in two weeks!

Hunters Safety should do the trick.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Hunter safety works in Montana, but here in Iowa you need a DD-214 or take a carry class, unless you had a permit from another state. Requirements vary, state to state.

Call them to be 100%, but based on your explanation, I'm going to assume it wasn't in the past 5 years:

Title 25, 2003: Permits to carry concealed handguns
    About half way down:
    (5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety. The applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing authority, through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proof that the applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed a course that included handgun safety offered by or under the supervision of a federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearms instructor certified by a private firearms association recognized as knowledgeable in matters of handgun safety by the issuing authority or by the state in which the course was taken. A course completion certificate or other document, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it recites or otherwise demonstrates that the course meets all of the requirements of this subparagraph

Send in a picture of a bullet hole in the wall with a caption "I won't do that again"
    Spovik, mlr1m, Crowman and 1 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Make a video of you safely operating a handgun, while reciting the Four Safety Rules. Post to youtube. Send them the link.

Yeah, that'll work!

Concerning DD-214 as proof of safety training. Really? I have one, and will probably use it for one or another non-resident permits, but I call into question the validity of that. Many military folk get minimal training on gun usage at all, much less handguns. Army and Marine Corps, yes, greater number get training and even experience, but AF and Navy, not always so much. At least not those of us who separated or retired more than a dozen years ago or so.

Just my two cents.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I have never been in the military, but the NRA pistol class really isn't that thorough either. Basic safety as always, and the explanation of how a semi-auto and a revolver works and the grips/techniques involved with shooting different pistols. My instructor asked if all of us had prior experience, which we all did (this is Maine after all), and he omitted the shooting portion knowing we all were competent but we just needed the course to "prove" so. I enjoyed it really, a refresher for most information, but he also covered the laws in Maine very thoroughly with his general interpretation. That helped a lot because I didn't know much about the laws when I took the class last year.

Oh, and to back up Spovik, Hunter Safety doesn't count in Maine unfortunately. Just about everyone in Maine could easily qualify if that were the case.

Links