Blazer/ Sport Coat

Blazer/ Sport Coat

This is a discussion on Blazer/ Sport Coat within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at buying some new blazers/sport coats and need some advice. I haven't yet carried my 4 "XD under a sport coat, but I'd ...

Thread: Blazer/ Sport Coat

Blazer/ Sport Coat

I'm looking at buying some new blazers/sport coats and need some advice. I haven't yet carried my 4 "XD under a sport coat, but I'd like to give it a try. What advice can you give? Do I buy a size larger? Do I wear my sidearm to my tailor? Should I consider a regular length, though I usually wear a "short"? I like to carry OWB in a Galco high-ride concealable. Is IWB always better?
    What things should I look out for? What considerations am I over looking?
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

IWB is NOT always better. I carry OWB under a jacket/coat a lot. Only two words of advise I can offer... One, definately (if at all possible) take your gun with you to the tailor. testing is always better than guessing. And two, maybe consider a good shoulder holster for carry under a jacket. It will likely be more comfortable and also solve some of your conceal-ability problems you have.
    Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).

i don't understand the taking the coat to the tailer...what would you be getting tailored?? If a proper size is purchased the only tailoring needed should be sleeve length..maybe you should take the gun to you when you pick out the coat..

Well shoulder width and waist size are not off-the-rack for me. My tailor usually takes my coats in a bit. That's why I might need to take my weapon with me.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

VIP Member
    I can understand the tailoring - by the time my husband finds a sport coat that fits his big, wide shoulders, the rest looks like a garbage bag on him.

Take your gun with you, experiment in the dressing room before your tailor even gets a hold of you. Stretch your arms out carefully - can you establish a firing grip without feeling like you're going to rip the coat down the back? When you lean over, is the holster going to peek out?

You can tell your tailor to leave a little extra waist room, or just leave it unbuttoned.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    All of my jackets go to the tailor. You can get a "good" fit off the rack, but not the "right" fit. I suppose its no different than holster selection. Some people want the Versa Max that you have to wait months to get. I am fine with a Don Humme that shows up two days after I order it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Tailoring is definitely a plus. I found if you get a good fit with your firearm, then you'll have a guide as to what size and fit to look for if you buy an off the rack sportcoat.
    Also, my tailor suggested an additional lining of fabric to protect the coat's lining from the checkered mainspring housing on my 1911. I'd not have thought of that. He does a lot of jackets for LE people, and he asked questions I wouldn't have considered.
    So, ended up with a great fit + great concealment.

Depends on your build. I carry an XD-45 Service, 4 inch IWB under off rack suits and I only require sleeve length adjustment on the jackets. You might think about an older suit style as todays styles are cut more fitted to the body than the previous years. The executive, portly or old Brooks brothers sack cut offers alot of room. Stay away from European cuts if concealment is a priority.

Take a look at a 2 button jacket worn with the bottom button left undone. A three button jacket will allow the lapel to roll over the top button if left undone while letting you leave the bottom button unfastened. A one button jacket seems to back in style this year also.

Have fun shopping. (Mens' Wearhouse seems to work for me.)
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

fair enough...i guess it depends on the person's body...but i wear a suit with a gun five days a week and my 6 suits only needed sleeves shortened from a 54R...and the pants usually needed shortened and some material taken out of the ass so it doesn't look like i just **** myself!

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    All of my jackets go to the tailor. You can get a "good" fit off the rack, but not the "right" fit.
    Absolutely! A good tailor is worth his/her weight in gold! You can buy a $300 suit off the rack, spend another $150 with a good tailor, and for less than half the price you end up with a suit that looks as good as any $1,000+ suit custom made for you.

Beyond that, I guarantee you that a good tailor can make that gun you carry absolutely disappear under your suit. There will be no discernible bulge or printing if the jacket is properly tailored.

Sponsored Links