Larger Caliber Pocket Carry Options?????

This is a discussion on Larger Caliber Pocket Carry Options????? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am well aware that .22, .25, .32 & .380 caliber pistols can be easily pocket carried. However, are there reasonable pocket carry options in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Larger Caliber Pocket Carry Options?????

I am well aware that .22, .25, .32 & .380 caliber pistols can be easily pocket carried. However, are there reasonable pocket carry options in larger calibers (i.e 9 mm, .38 and .45)???? The reason I ask is that I live in Florida and it stays very warm here most of the time which keeps me in shorts, flip-flops and a t-shirt most days. Since I rarely wear jackets or layers of shirts clothes having a pistol that would be both "pocket friendly" and packs a punch would be preferred!

Many thanks for any recommendations that you might have!

Try AIWB. I carry a Glock 27 with the 13 shot 23 mag all the time. A J frame is real easy to hide AIWB.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Of course the main thing is that you can hit the BG. I carry the Sig P-238 and practice with it every week. I have the crimson trace laser on it. I shot it at a double sheet of 3/4" plywood for 1 1/2". I don't know how much further the bullets went but two PowRBall and two FMJ went through the target and blew out the other side at about seven yards. I thought that was good enough. Of course the .38 + P HP and FMJ rounds did also. The big brother of the Sig P-238 is the P-938. I haven't shot one but look here for more info.

9mm Subcompact Pistol Roundup - Because You Asked for It | The Truth About Guns
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Senior Moderator
    I recently traded a like new Smith and Wesson 637 Airweight for a .22 suppressor. I carried it all day in my shorts. It's got the regular pockets as well as the cargo pockets on the side and it carried much better than I would have hoped for. Its only a 5 shot .38 Special, but I reckon it would do what needed to be done.

Its lighter than it looks. I hardly knew it was there and its small enough to not telegraph. One could do much worse.

687.jpg
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lots! This has been the fastest-growing market segment lately.

Revolvers: The Ruger LCR comes in .38Special and .357 Mag, as do most snubnose revolvers--S&W J-frames, Charter Arms, Taurus, etc. Some are also chambered for the .32 Federal Magnum, which allows 6 rounds in the cylinder instead of 5.

For autos: Ruger LCP (.380) and LC9 (9mm), Walther PPS (9 mm), S&W M&P Shield (9 mm and .40), Beretta Nano (9 mm), Taurus 709 and 738, various Kahrs in various calibers, etc. The "baby" Glocks could also fit in a pocket, I suppose. Also the Springfield XDS (.45). If you wanted to spend big money, there's the Kimber Solo (9 mm), Sig 938 (.380), and Rohrbaughs.
    bcvojak and sensei2 like this.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

PS: I also carry the S&W .38 Airweight 637 with laser and it weighs about the same as the P-238. It is a bit more bulky for pocket carry. In both cases I made kydex pocket holsters to cover the trigger and stay in the pocket. This is a .060 thin kydex and adds almost nothing the the overall weight. I have seen similar holsters available commercially and of course you will need a holster for pocket carry.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

I carry a Walther PPS in a remora holster with mesh gym shorts that have a drawstring.

Depending on the size of your pocket Ruger LC9 and KelTec PF9 are both options. I have owned an LC9 and carried it in the front pocket of my jeans a few times in a cheap blackhawk pocket holster. I only sold it because of the crumby trigger. PF9 is practically the same gun, but a slightly better factory trigger. Its on my to buy list, but for now I am happy pocket carrying my LCP.

Quick answer - as many have posted already, there are several handguns/calibers that would work for pocket carry. You just have to decide which one is best for you.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. J-Frame size revolver, been around a long time and has always been effective. I pocket carry a S&W 637 or 642 (depending on clothing) every day. I own bigger and more expensive, but they stay home and "pocket rocket" snubby goes everywhere with me.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Senior Moderator
    I pocket carry a Taurus 605
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I pocket carry either a Ruger LCR 38spl or a Smith and Wesson 642 when I can't carry a larger caliber pistol. One thing some people don't think about is the trade-offs you make when you go to the small, pocket handguns. Most small revolvers and pocket pistols are uncomfortable to shoot due to the recoil and blast. Plus, they are very difficult to shoot accurately at longer distances.....say over 7 yards. Before the small gun hawks attack, I practice a lot with my small revolvers and can easily hit a pie plate, rapid fire at 7 yards and can put most on a dinner plate at 15 yards. My point is that there is a big tradeoff in shootability and accuracy when you go small. For me, I'd rather carry a small 9mm or 40 caliber pistol in a tuckable inside the waist band holster than a minor caliber pistol or low capacity revolver for pocket carry. A Glock 26 or 27 is just about as small as I would personally go for a small pistol. Both Glocks shoot like their larger brethen, are easily concealable, have high capacity (10+1 for the 26) and the key determinate......ARE RELIABLE. Everyone has to find their comfort level in personal protection firearms.

eb
    The light revolvers such as the LCR or similar are hard to beat for pocket carry IMO. I had an LC9 and a PF9 that I pocket carried a few times as well.

I would steer clear of pocket sized semi auto pistols chambered for 9mm. They can be finnicky. I do not consider pistols like the LC9 to be pocket sized, but some apparently do carry them that way.

I stepped off that merry go round, and am now quite content to pocket a LCR (.38 Spl revolver), backed up by a LCP (.380).

A lot will depend on your pockets, and tolerance for weight in your pocket. In dockers, I can comfortably pocket carry my Glock 26 (which is not otherwise what I would consider a true "pocket gun") due to the pleats and deep pockets. Some of my other pants had to have the pocket deepened a bit by a tailor to fit the LCR properly. All depends...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    If you have the skill level to shot a very light some what heavier recoiling pistol you may want to size up .

S&W scadium line of revolvers are avalible in 38 and 357mah in pistols under 11.2oz + a few much more afordable in the 15oz range

Charter arms ultra light revolvers are 13oz and are +p rated with you can hang on to it. Comes with a 3 finger grip and they sell and pee wee 2 finger grip for smaller pockets.

KT has the PF-9 and can be pocket carried most times and weight is just under 13oz

kahr has there cm/pm line with a 40 at just under 16ox and 9mm at 14oz.

Diamondback DB9 is the lightest 9mm at 11oz and seems like they have the pistol running well finally. There web site has a company man that watchs the forum that jumps all over problems and send parts to you if is not a big fix likt KT does. Might be a viable pistol finally.

Now I am not much of a shorts guy but I have owned over the many years and carried a light CA weight revolver . a pf-9 and now a cm9 all in the pocket. I have no issues with any of them. Any bigger than these there not so much for shorts or pocket carry.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links