Help with kimber

Help with kimber

This is a discussion on Help with kimber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a pro crimson carry II. I am wanting to do something about the pointed butt of the gun. Even with a good holster ...

Thread: Help with kimber

Thumbs up Help with kimber

I have a pro crimson carry II. I am wanting to do something about the pointed butt of the gun. Even with a good holster this part of the gun can really dig in. I really love my pistol so I wanna try and modify before going and buying a super carry or even a completely different setup. Has anyone on here had any experience with the bobtail mainspring housing by Ed brown? Will my CT grips work fine with it? Thanks guys!! This is my first real post but I have read numerous articles on here and truly enjoy learning from like minded individuals..

VIP Member
    My Dan Wesson C-Bob has a Ed Brown mainspring in it, no problems with it. As to whether your Crimson Trace grips will work. I don't believe they will unless you can modify them to accommodate the angled cut of the grip.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    Any good gun smith can bobtail your Kimber, you should be able to bobtail the grips as well.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Any good gun smith can bobtail your Kimber, you should be able to bobtail the grips as well.
    I was thinking so too. My problem is that I don't have a gunsmith here in town.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac25 View Post
    I have a pro crimson carry II. I am wanting to do something about the pointed butt of the gun. Even with a good holster this part of the gun can really dig in. I really love my pistol so I wanna try and modify before going and buying a super carry or even a completely different setup. Has anyone on here had any experience with the bobtail mainspring housing by Ed brown? Will my CT grips work fine with it? Thanks guys!! This is my first real post but I have read numerous articles on here and truly enjoy learning from like minded individuals..

For the Ed Brown Bobtail, the current CT grips you have will either have to be modified or replaced. CT does have grips available for the bobtail

There's a thread right now on bobtails/round butts here, Anyone carry a "bobbed" 1911?

There are also CT grips available for the Kimber and S&W round butt guns.

I really like the bobtail, and you should be able to move your current grips and buy a set of them for a bobbed gun, but it's going to to require you to chop your frame, plenty have done the job themselves, but if you're not feeling up to it a gun smith will cost you about $200 to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    For the Ed Brown Bobtail, the current CT grips you have will either have to be modified or replaced. CT does have grips available for the bobtail

There's a thread right now on bobtails/round butts here, Anyone carry a "bobbed" 1911?

There are also CT grips available for the Kimber and S&W round butt guns.

I really like the bobtail, and you should be able to move your current grips and buy a set of them for a bobbed gun, but it's going to to require you to chop your frame, plenty have done the job themselves, but if you're not feeling up to it a gun smith will cost you about $200 to do it.
    Thanks JD. I was just reading about the bobbed 1911. I didn't see it before I typed.. Smith & Alexander make a magwell with a arched mainspring housing. I don't know it this would fix what I'm wanting to fix tho. I really don't think I could cut on my gun. But I sure do like the feel.

Bobtail grips out of stock...

JD
    Administrator
    Bobtail grips out of stock...
    Shop around, there are many different retailers out there other than CTC direct, it's usually cheaper too.

The arched main spring housing is a good idea, it may do what you need. Order from Brownells and you can return the part if you don't like it, no questions asked.

sgb
    I was thinking so too. My problem is that I don't have a gunsmith here in town.
    1911 Smiths
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Sponsored Links