I want to get my permit

This is a discussion on I want to get my permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to get my carry permit but i am not sure i can i have a misdemeanor from 20 years ago will it stop ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I want to get my permit

I want to get my permit

I want to get my carry permit but i am not sure i can i have a misdemeanor from 20 years ago will it stop the process

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    It might.What was it for? If you don't mind sharing.

I fnot for an act of violence I would expect you'd be ok. I believe most laws are associated with violent behavior or felonies.

Well being stupid and hanging with wrong people and busted with small amount of pot the the driver had in his floor board in a match box but it has been over 20 years ago and i have been good every since

New Member Array Joejoebazookajo's Avatar

applied for ccw in st. Paul mn

Im sorry if im not posting this in the correct way. I applied for a conceal carry petmit for work (Armed Security) I also applied for a permit to purchase the same day in case I found a good deal on a nice Smith&Wesson M&P40... I got my permit to purchase back in 2 days but I do have concerns about getting denied for my CCW. About 6 months I went through a separation with my girlfriend and of coarse I had lots of feelings for her but never thretened her or anything like that but I did call her way to much to the point where she said.thay she called the police on me so she says. Not sure if she did or not but she did tell me that the police told her to just change her number. I never got arrested or any notification in the mail to indicate any charges were put against me. in this case of harassment would i.have to be charged with harassment or something to be denied for my conceal carry permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Well being stupid and hanging with wrong people and busted with small amount of pot the the driver had in his floor board in a match box but it has been over 20 years ago and i have been good every since
    If it was as you claim, that it was the driver's stash and that you had nothing to do with it (didn't have any on you, weren't partaking of the stuff), then it's not out of the realm of possibility to make a plea to the state agency/court involved to have the issue dealt with, at least from the standpoint of resurrecting your full and complete citizenship rights/abilities. It's been done before, by others with similar "small" situations in which they were "passengers" when others got nabbed.

One option might be to seek out an attorney who's competent in this area of pursuing and correcting long-closed "smaller" cases in which an apparent wrong persists. Might be well worth your time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

move to wisconsin. they are giving anyone who isn't a felon a permit right now. lol.
    GH likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Well my citizenship is not in question when i look at GA laws the only thing it said was as long as i have not been charged with any assault charges and have not been charged for any misdemeanor in the past five years i was eligible to get permit it does not say anything about possession charges

It shouldn't have an effect on you, or at least in my county in NC it wouldn't. You will probably be asked for a certified copy of the disposition from the clerk of court so go ahead and get that before you go to your sheriffs office.

Administrator
    Just make sure that you answer all of those questions truthfully. Because not being truthful on your app is a crime unto itself.
    And if it says: within the last 5 years and you have been a good boy for the past 20 years then you should should be OK if you are able to honestly answer "NO" to any "within the last 5 years" questions.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

GH
    I'd suggest that the only way to know for sure is to actually apply. IF you're turned down (doubtful) then you can worry about starting the appeal process.

Make sure that you make no attempt to hide any info. Double - triple- check any applications, Joejoebazookajo. Many are sent back because they're not complete. Chances are if you don't qualify for an Armed Security License you won't be able to get an unarmed one, either. It seems that's the way it works in Wisconsin, anyhow - each state having different requirements. I got my regular security permit first then added the armed private detective to it. We have to actually qualify & requalify on the weapon we'll use unlike getting our CCL.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I lost my temper once as a teenager & gave my sister the finger. Luckily, the CCL questionnaire didn't ask if my Mother was still disappointed in me for it. Geez, a misdemeanor 20 years past? Answer the questions honestly & quit worrying. That "Permanent Record" they warned you about in Elementary School...uh, isn't.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Well my citizenship is not in question when i look at GA laws the only thing it said was as long as i have not been charged with any assault charges and have not been charged for any misdemeanor in the past five years i was eligible to get permit it does not say anything about possession charges
    Go and apply. SB308, which became law in 2010, changed the rules when it comes to misdemeanor drug convictions. Previously you would have had to get your record expunged and some other things done. As you posted, as long as it's been more than five years you'll be fine.
    Do be aware that sometimes the courts don't get the paperwork filed correctly (or at all), and thus there is always a small chance that you'll have to find the appropriate paperwork and take it to the Probate Judge. While this is rare, I wanted you to know that it has happened in the past and some people get overly excited and worried when it does. I've yet to see it take more than a trip to talk to the Probate Judge to solve the problem, though.

Also, for future questions about Georgia Carry law, here are the two sites you need to bookmark Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news and Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org

GeorgiaCarry.Org (the first link) is the group responsible for the major changes in Georgia firearms law in 2008 and 2010, as well as for suing cities and counties that were making up and enforcing their own laws, something that they can't do in this state.

Membership is $15/year if you are so inclined.

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I lost my temper once as a teenager & gave my sister the finger. Luckily, the CCL questionnaire didn't ask if my Mother was still disappointed in me for it. Geez, a misdemeanor 20 years past? Answer the questions honestly & quit worrying. That "Permanent Record" they warned you about in Elementary School...uh, isn't.
    Up until 2010 in Georgia the OP would have been ineligible to get a carry licence because of that 20 year-old misdemeanor.

Denied Concealed Handgun Permit
    I was denied my CHP because i was charged with Simple Assault when i was 17 in high school the guy spitted on me and i pushed him. I am wondering if it would be worth the hassle to appeal the CHP with the district judge or will it cost money to appeal. I am wanting to do this because i work in my business and i have had 4 men at different times tried to rob me and i had my NAA Wasp .22 Magnum and sometimes i will carry my wifes XDS .45 in my pocket at work and i was lucky each time even though i can carry concealed in my business and home and i really want to get my CHP because my gun is small and at times i forget i have it in my pocket and go out in public with my gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links