CPL needed for higher-grade pepper spray? (MI)

This is a discussion on CPL needed for higher-grade pepper spray? (MI) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; *Please let me know, and point me in the right direction, if thereís a better place to ask this. My wife isnít quite comfortable yet ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye

Thread: CPL needed for higher-grade pepper spray? (MI)

CPL needed for higher-grade pepper spray? (MI)

*Please let me know, and point me in the right direction, if thereís a better place to ask this.

My wife isnít quite comfortable yet carrying a gun but she is open to using a pepper spray. Iíd like her to have the best spray we can get. In my Googling, Iíve found that Michigan allows a max strength of 10% OC and a max canister size of 35grams (1.2oz).

My question is:
    Iíve been told by a couple of different people that with a MI CPL, she would be allowed to get a higher strength spray or larger canister. But I canít find any sites or new Michigan laws online that backs this up.
    Does anyone know if a Michigan CPL would give a person the ability to buy stronger pepper spray than a non-CPL holder would be able to buy?

Side note: I do want her to take a class anyway as it's just good to have the knowledge, just wondering if the class would have any benefit in terms of pepper spray strength.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I don't think it does. I think their is LE restricted and general population sprays. I would call the State Police and ask if possession of LE strength spray or not.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Yeah, I saw that too. But I didn't see anything that lead me to believe that a CPL would give you access to a stronger spray that non-CPL holders are not allowed. Unless I missed it.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...10-PA-0365.htm Here's a link to the actual bill.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Administrator
    You can call J&L Self Defense Products and tell them that you reside in Michigan and ask them what the strongest OC spray is that you can legally carry in your state.

They will give you some accurate information. They are a great company and you can trust buying from them.

Also keep on mind that it is NOT the percentage of OC that determines the effectiveness it is the potency of OC resin.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

From reading the law provided by Supertac45 it is saying "Not more than 35 grams of any combination of orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile and inert ingredients." which means that specific chemical, not for any other spray such as oleoresin capsicum based sprays. They are limiting the oleoresin capsicum to a max of 10% but not limiting volume of spray at least in the mentioned law.

Don't get too wrapped up in the 10% number since that's only part of the overall quotient that determines effectiveness.

Probably the top two brands are Fox Lab and Sabre Red. These two supply a majority of the law enforcement agencies and Fox being probably the largest used and I believe theirs is under 5% but has been refined so well that they have one of the highest Scoville scale heat rating which is what a attacker will really feel.

For someone that isn't going to be training with OC sprays on a regular basis you should consider one with a flip top and cone pattern like the Fox MK3 size which is 2 ounces of spray I believe if memory serves. The cone pattern is not a fog type of spray but more like a splatter spray and has a range of about 12 to 15 feet. People that train with it on a regular basis can use the stream pattern effectively but it's difficult when under stress to hit a moving target like a face with a stream pattern if you don't practice often.
    QKShooter likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

she could carry a taser if she wanted, they recently passed those as legal

Links