SHOOTING FROM THE HIP: At What Distance Should You Use This?

This is a discussion on SHOOTING FROM THE HIP: At What Distance Should You Use This? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by detective The other problem is getting clothing out of the way ENERGETICALLY AND QUICKLY and before it settles back have the hip-draw ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: SHOOTING FROM THE HIP: At What Distance Should You Use This?

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post

The other problem is getting clothing out of the way ENERGETICALLY AND QUICKLY and before it settles back have the hip-draw completed - otherwise your clothes can interfere with the draw when they move back in place. Have to practice that. And under some clothing it probably wouldn't work. But I always practice that with the clothing I walked into the range with. Otherwise, you could get a surprise in an emergency, and that is not the time to get surprises.

I think you should always practice defensive shooting with the clothes you would be wearing - (but start learning a particular element without them until you get it down, then add the clothing)
    Open carry would cure that (Sorry the devil made do it)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Open carry would cure that (Sorry the devil made do it)
    Yes it would.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    For practice, you might consider one of those nifty laser training widgets which stick into the end of the muzzle, and flash a laser spot when their microphone 'hears' the trigger go 'click'. You can practice drawing and firing at that pesky fly on the wall while the baby naps if you want, and no worries about sky or ceiling shots. They cost $80 or so if I remember correctly.

Snub Nose Revolvers and Point Shooting

Here's a good, quick read for you folks.

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    Snub Nose Revolvers and Point Shooting

Here's a good, quick read for you folks.
    Very good article - thanks for posting for us!

You're welcome; every time I re-read that article, it amazes me how much the geometry of the handgun effects "pointability". I wonder what the author would say about Glock and other modern semi autos? Or even traditional Derringers and the new double-tap?

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I'd say less than 3 yds. if shooting from eye or chest level is impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    I wonder what the author would say about Glock and other modern semi autos?
    They are no more difficult to point shoot than any other gun.

Sometimes people try to over-think things.

"Hip" shooting or "Point" shooting?

I note a couple of posters have conflated 'hip-shooting' with 'point shooting'. Whereas both are technically non-sighted fire, there is a world of difference between a shot fired from hip level, or even mid chest with the pistol only vaguely in the field of vision, and 'point shoulder' with the master eye looking over the length of the pistol and sights. I can shoot point shoulder reliably out to ten yards or so, while my 'hip' shots are guaranteed 'good' out to about one to one and a half yards.

So to answer the primary question asked, I'd say about four and a half feet at most. Or, in dog years, powder-burn range. This is also called the 'speed rock' and is a desperation move when an assailant is very close and it may not be possible to position a handgun in the point shoulder position. As mentioned, one should be bringing the pistol up to eye level to find sights even if the first round or two are fired unsighted.

However, The time differential between a hip shot and a point shoulder shot is rather small. Time to first hit is typically infinitesimal.

Someone used the phrase '...get lead downrange fast...' Only if one has immunity from lawsuits. Or, I suppose, those living in deserted areas where only one's self and an assailant are close enough to be within danger range. Take a look at what happened in New York City in front of the Empire State Building just last month. (One villain killed and nine pedestrians wounded.) A responsible, honorable person simply cannot fire wildly in defense. One must fire quickly and accurately.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links