SHOOTING FROM THE HIP: At What Distance Should You Use This?

This is a discussion on SHOOTING FROM THE HIP: At What Distance Should You Use This? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My range allows shooters to practice live-draw-and-fire and certain ones to practice also Shooting from the Hip, long as we move target down so we ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: SHOOTING FROM THE HIP: At What Distance Should You Use This?

SHOOTING FROM THE HIP: At What Distance Should You Use This?

My range allows shooters to practice live-draw-and-fire and certain ones to practice also Shooting from the Hip, long as we move target down so we don't naturally angle shots that hit the ceiling way down-range.

I can shoot well from the hip therefore from practicing a lot - really pretty easy. We also have computerized targets for distance of choice. For the heck of it, I tried shoot-from-hip with target out close to 10' - and did well, very quick it is. Usually I put it 3' or 4' out. Anyway, I wondered if shoot-from-hip should not be used beyond a certain distance if the Real Thing should - god forbid - happen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    When I started out doing private security way back in 1978 we had to qualify using the hip shooting technique. We fired 5 shots at 7 yards (21 ft.) in I believe 6 seconds back then. I got fairly good at that distance.

The distance you can hip shoot is determined in exactly the same manner & criteria as the distance you can shoot any OTHER way (one handed, weak handed, from your knees, on your back, etc.). If you practice (practice, practice...) ENOUGH you can develop hip shooting skills that will out-match most folks using two hands at eye level with Bomar target sights! Just watch some old film of Col. Ed McGivern or Bill Jordan. So it's only you & your own level of proficiency that can answer your question. If you can consistently keep six shots on a paper plate at 25 yards while speed-shooting from the hip, then DEFEND yourself that way. If not? Then find out at what distance you CAN do that. Good Luck & save your pennies, 'cause it's gonna' take some...uh, substantial trigger-time.
    detective likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    I tried shoot-from-hip with target out close to 10' - and did well ... Usually I put it 3' or 4' out.
    I usually put it 3-4ft out, from 10ft, too. I hate that. Never could shoot-from-the-hip decently.

Practice has improved it somewhat, but it's still about the ugliest shooting I do. No suggestions for you, beyond: keep trying.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Easier done with a shotgun.
    Crowman likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Ive done it with our issue M9's from 5 yards. Kept all rounds on target (target was a steel plate human silhouette/ bowling pin looking target) I honestly wouldnt even attempt it much further than that. Hip shooting seems like a last resort at super close quarters I.E. the BG is damn near right on top of you.

I practice 10ft & in from the draw (hip shot), with an aimed followup dbl tap. My intent is to get any body hit with the hip shot & end the fight with the dbl tap.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

You should never rely on shooting from the hip at any distance, period. Eyes on sights and properly engage your target is what you should rely on.

You should always practice shooting from the him since you can count on all plans going out the window when bullets start flying.

There's no good answer to your question because shooting from the hip should be considered a method of last resort, and if you're backed into a corner with nothing to lose but your life, distance won't matter anyway. You'll have to take the shot however you can.

Of course my opinion and $20 will get you a cup of coffee at the local Starbucks, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

"Hip shooting" should be limited to bad-breath range. It's primarily used because the intended target is too close to use the standard two-handed shooting technique. 3' or less (In my experience).
    sgb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxon06 View Post
    "Hip shooting" should be limited to bad-breath range. It's primarily used because the intended target is too close to use the standard two-handed shooting technique. 3' or less (In my experience).
    I have never tried hip shooting so my opinion counts for squat, but this answer seems the most appropriate to me.

VIP Member
    Hip shooting or point shooting is used for close range when the bad guy is to close for anything else.

The way I was taught and still teach today is that when you draw no matter where you start firing from, i.e. the hip, chest level and so on, you are constantly fighting your way to the sights bringing the gun up to eye level as you increase distance. Phoenix Tactical has some videos on the this here on the forum.

Point shooting past seven yards is really "pointless", pardon the pun, as the threat, unless advancing, it far enough out to use your sights or at least bring the weapon up to chest level.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I do remember one of my instructors at Gunsite stating that once you have your weapon cleared from the holster and pointed toward the target you could get off a quick shot IF NECESSARY. He never had us work on this drill, just simply stated that it could be done. DUH!

I believe this draw is known as a speed rock, because it is fast and you rock backwards to ensure that the muzzle is pointed in the general direction of the slats. The forearm should be tight against your side. I've messed with this a few times, and it is miserable. Hip shooting is just plain tough to get a handle on.

my question would be at what point in a situation would you need to employ the shoot from the hip tecnique.. I invision something happening fast and up close 3-4 ft.Where bringing my arm completley up might result in my pistol being taken away or batted away.

Shooting from the hip at distances of 25 yards might make some sense if your in a draw situation at high-noon.I can't think of a situation where id need to shoot from the hip and not have the time to bring the pistol up and into a two handed stance.At those distances seeking cover first may be the better choice.. I practice the shot 1-3 ft away..for situations that might happen while standing in line or something..or turning a corner and stumblin in on something...i also practice the shot and all the while blocking with my free hand and backing up trying to put distance between myself and the attacker..Hip shots are another tool to go to in a persons play book.Along with such things as behind barricades around corners from the ground in a vehicle sitting down..Learning never stops..the BG's are always inventing new ways of being knuckleheads..being one step ahead makes all the difference...

God bless..keep on training..glad to have more good guys out there...

VIP Member
    Well you have to divide up some of the techniques and posts.

The speed rock was mentioned. It would be used for contact distance type shots. Attacker is on you and all you can do is a one handed draw simply rotating the gun up and pointed in the direction of the target. In theory you would start firing as the weapon cleared the holster at whatever part of the body was presented as a target and work your way up.

As was stated point shooting past 7 yards or so is not really practical on a stationary target as you would have time and space to use the sights. If the bad guy is advancing they yes you could use a point shooting technique while moving off the X creating distance. Remember though that creating distance is not just a straight line type thing. Moving laterally will cause your opponent to have to slow or stop to change direction which could not only create distance but more importantly time to act.

Again my technique is what works for me I am always fighting my way to the sights so I would use whatever point shooting, hip shooting, speed rock technique that I need to at that moment.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links