Why did you start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you start carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got mine in WV when I turned 21 (in 1992), been packing for 14 years now - feel naked without it!! I've never had to ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why did you start carrying?

Got mine in WV when I turned 21 (in 1992), been packing for 14 years now - feel naked without it!!

I've never had to draw or shoot with regards to another human, have dispatched multiple poisonous snakes, though!

I believe that the obvious confidence you possess when you know you are able to defend yourself is a very clear deterent to those who might otherwise seek to do you harm. Just the way you carry yourself (unconsciously at some point) when you know you don't have to cry for help when trouble comes your way sends a warning signal to the career criminal that it might be in his best interest to wait for a more vunerable target!

2. Remove Ads

I live in the metro Detroit area. If that isn't enough my neighborhood is rapidly going "ethnic"..............third world. I can't afford to move right now. I felt it was time to protct myself. It's not too bad now but it will be a ghetto sooner or later.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Because I can, it is a right as an American I was denied by the state of Illinois for too many years, for some of the same reasons I take martial arts, because I realize I can't fight back as well physically as I could when I was younger, to piss off the antis, take your pick.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I originally got my permit just so it would make it easier when I purchased a gun, then the more I listened to the scanner at work the more I carried. Now it's wherever legal.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

A car jacking at the corner of my building I drive buy twice a day. The guy was pistol whipped and then a 2 hr high speed chase with the perp taking 6 in the body and dieing. I had driven by the corner 5 minutes before in a simular type of car.

I was thinking about it before but this spured me to act! I would like to go home to my wife at the end of the day!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I never really carried much until I moved to AZ because it wasn't practical to my lifestyle (drinkin, partying, bein a sheeple). I moved out here for school and start OC'ing some. I never really gave it much thought. My mind changed sometime between September 5th and October 5th of last year though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Behl

She was a good friend of mine. I just wish one of us could have been there when she cried out for help. Knowing the circumstances of her kidnapping and death, I never gave open carrying a second thought and I don't feel I need to justify it. I'll get my CCW in December @ Gunsite and even then I'm not sure I will conceal all that much. And you better be sure I'll defend a total stranger - because they're someone to somebody.

Every time I put the HK on my belt, I remember why.

I've mentioned this before. Sorry for the sad post.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

My mindset changed after 9-11, similar as I see it did for some others here. A good friend of mine was working at the WTC when it was attacked, and I didn't find out he survived until later. Seeing the images on tv from that day and believing I was watching a close friend die really got to me that day. I saw CC as one small thing I could do to fight back. Chances are most slim that I'll be in place when an attack is occuring, but if it does, I'm not going to just sit and watch the ********.

The crime aspect of CC didn't occur to me until much later, which is more of why I carry now than when I got the permit years ago. I think this country would be a much better and safer place if only say 5% of the law abiding population carried. Doesn't matter if it's a deterrent effect, or people carrying who stop crimes in progress, as far as I'm concerned more guns in the hands of lawful citizens = less crime and more safety. An armed society is a polite society. My lifestyle (where I live, where I spend most of my time) puts me and my family at low risk of crime, but I'm willing to take the responsibility to be prepared just in case something happens.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I was in the Army for 20 years and I have had a home protection shotgun for years.

9/11 happened which opened up my eyes to terrorist.

Katrina happened and we saw the scum of the earth take over the superdome and streets of New Orleans.

I read a novel by Terri Blackstock called “Last Light” where all electricity and modern conveniences just stopped working and society turned vicious, good people turned in to thieves to feed their family.

I watched a movie about the bird flu and saw what good people did when the bird flu hit.

Something somewhere is going to happen, where someone is going to have to protect their loved ones and if I am that person I will be prepared.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Death threats, Police friend suggested I keep a pistol close by in case attacked.(41 years ago, always have a gun.)

VIP Member
    I too have a LEO background and have had some very good tactical training.
    When I left the Police Department, CCW was not available in Nevada for its citizens and since I had not "retired" from the PD, I was not eligible for a carry permit. I sure wasn’t happy about that! I also felt it would be a tragedy if I could have saved a life (especially mine) with my training if armed but couldn’t because of the bureaucracy!

So, as soon as we were given the right to carry a concealed weapon in this state, I immediately applied and have been carrying ever since.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

1) The police are under no obligation to protect me. Public servant does NOT equal private body guard.

2) I choose to exercise a right.

3) I carry for the protection for those around me. Just because someone doesn't carry a gun doesn't mean they are any less worthy of protection if they need it. I will not stand idle and watch someone be victimized. If I see it or hear it, it becomes my business. I will not let criminals run my country and victimize my fellow citizens. I will not stand for that one bit.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    I have always been into handguns and some kind of compitition shooting. Just around the time carry concealment became legal in Missouri, I had a major heart attack. After the surgery I was told I will always be prone to heart attacks (had two). I knew I would no longer be able to defend myself hand to hand and I work in a neighborhood loaded with crack heads and w##re houses. That is why I carry but St. Louis played game with the new Missouri law so I got my permit from the state of Maine.

I started carrying about 8 years ago when my wife became wheel chair bound. At that point we could no longer run so the only recourse was to fight. Since then I have acquried 2 bad knees and a hip is starting to give me trouble. So even if I am out by myself I still can't run. Such fun getting old!!! I now carry anytime I go out except where against the law (PO, Federal buildings, etc.).
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

I enjoy firearms.....and uhhh.....They stop murderers and thieves.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

I started carrying after some drug addict brutaly stabbed me into a pool of blood for all the money I had in my pocket, a whole $2, the lord is the only one who brought me through that night, I still count on the lord, and he didn't say lay down for the bad guys

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links