Why did you start carrying?

This is a discussion on Why did you start carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has been slowly getting more handicapped with MS as I got older and crime got closer to home. We spent 12 years living ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why did you start carrying?

My wife has been slowly getting more handicapped with MS as I got older and crime got closer to home. We spent 12 years living aboard a sailboat and travelling and returning to land was a shocker. Quite frankly it's much safer out there! So it was time to take shooting from a hobby to a defensive level and start carrying for her protection and mine. She can't run anywhere and I certainly won't leave her behind. Kind of limits your options.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

I started for the convenience of legallity to and from the range, and to go hunting. I didn't want to worry about a stray cartrige somwhere that it wasn't legal to store. later I realized that when I carried I was alot more nice to people and that I avoided confrontation more, for whatever reason. "Walk softly and carry a big stick"
    Maybe it was the gratuity of realizing how much freedom I have, and could loose if I don't keep my cool.
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

Senior Moderator
    I lived in Maryland for many years (the "won't issue" state) and worked in EMS. I've seen firsthand what certain elements of our society will do to others.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Got it when I turned 21 for personal protection. Heh I was the same with Homer, I got a lot nicer when I started carrying. I use to get in fights all the time but when I started carrying I haven't been in one.

Great responses!

It's interesting to see the range of reasons that got folks going. For many, it was the simple ability to do so, almost as natural as putting on socks in the morning. For others, it was the reasonable decision to protect one's family. For a few, it's in direct response to what is seen happening in the world.

Keep 'em coming.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Moved to a "free" state

I grew up in the Peoples Republic of Maryland. I was never able to legally protect myself outside the home. Now, a citizen of Virginia, I can finally, legally, arm myself. I avoid any state or establishment that denies me this right. Can't believe, I lived in MD that long, I guess eventually, you wake up and smell the coffee...
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

I grew up in south central Phoenix, AZ for a long time. I've had knives and guns pulled on me... A lot. I started having weapons on me of different types, collected some interesting ones here and there that usually don't fit the "norm" (for instance, I have a serrated fiberglass knife that will pass a metal detector). All were legal. I kind of figured that luck could only get me so far.

I finally was able to afford and maintain ammo for a gun last September. I now have many. The decision to get my CCW came from my job. I'm not allowed to carry at my job because only "authorized personnel" is allowed to at my LE agency. However, it wasn't until about mid-year this year that my agency decided that dispatchers had to wear a uniform. The uniform is emblazened with a (rather noticeable) star badge on it.

Given that I was previously kind of "covert" in that you couldn't pick me out as working for a LE agency, now my uniform screams it. In fact, our dress code makes us look like either a commander or detective to the general public. Not good. That's why I started CCW'ing. LE has no responsibility to protect you, even if you're one of their own and they keep you disarmed.

Cheers.

I would answer you that I carry for the same reason that I have 3 fire extinguishers in my house, one in the kitchen one in the basement by the fireplace and one in the master bedroom.

The same reason that I never have less than 1/4 full fuel tank.

The same reason that I check my spare tire once a month and have roadside flares in the trunk.

The same reason I have a first responder quality first aid kit in my house and in each of my cars.

I think you understand what I mean here. I would say to you that it is because I and I alone hold the ultimate responsibility for the safety of myself and my family.

But, alas I live in MD so I cannnot say this.
    I wonder what the outcry from all the sheeple would be if spare tire, fire extighuisher and first aid kit possesion were outlawed.

MikeV

I lived in Arkansas much of my life. Back before CCW, it was understood that you "could" carry a weapon in the open, but then again it was frowned upon.
    When I moved to South Dakota, it was a very gun friendly state. You go into the sheriff's office, fill out papers and pay six bucks. You are then issued a temporary permit and your permanent one arrives within ten days.
    I work at a school and have summers and holidays off. This time is usually spent to see family members in other states. I carry for peronal/family protection and because I can. An out-of-stater, particularly during a holiday, can be seen as an easy mark who is probably carrying cash (I don't, usually use the debit card).

I started carrying in the mid 70's because in addition to being a military pilot where the issued weapon was a revolver, I also owned businesses where I sometimes had large amounts of cash on me or with me.
    So I carried a revolver for years.
    Now I'm retired military and my businesses are not cash intensive businesses.
    I still carry from habit and I think it's the thing to do.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

I do not beleive carrying is the everytime solution but it does give us an upper hand 99% of the time and if that time comes I could not bare the though of not being able to protect my family. I carry for my family.

I live about 100 miles north of houston in quiet small town but the wife and i visit houston on weekends to eat and shop and after Katrinia and the growing crime decided it was time.

Way back when (late 80's) I was a pizza delivery manager/driver in a small Indiana town. A local convienience store was robbed, and the robbers weren't caught, even though the police station was next door and facing the store. Licenses were $26 and shall-issue.

Moved to Ohio, no CHL available until recently. I believe that if you need a gun to go there, you shouldn't go. Wife's job occasionally takes her to places right on the edge (and sometimes IMO a bit past) of "shouldn't go". She was unlikely to take the training unless I did. We got a gun for her, but she wouldn't carry unless I had one also.

Now that I've started, I don't like being disarmed.

The Day everything changed...

Sept.12,2001...It took about a day to realize that our country was no longer actually safe from groups that wanted our blood. I thought about CCW for about another week before I started down the path to obtaining my permit. I also switched from Martial Arts as exercise to close combat arts to end hostile encounters quickly. I don't think I'll ever be the same.
    "Stay Alert, Stay Alive"

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I like guns, so I want to.

I can, legally, so I do.

There are other reasons, too, the chief one being that there is not a policeman around you 24/7.

In fact, I'm thinking there's a good chance that there won't be a policeman around if I need one, 'cause the BG's might notice the officer and not do harm to people with an LEO witness....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links