firearms free zones - Page 2

firearms free zones

This is a discussion on firearms free zones within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Eagleks, have you read that in an article somewhere? I have been looking for it for a few hours and there are a lot of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: firearms free zones

Eagleks, have you read that in an article somewhere? I have been looking for it for a few hours and there are a lot of what ifs, would have's, and could have's, but nothing about a permit holder in the theater.

Check out this Harvard law article.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    FLArmadillo likes this.

Thank you Joel, that article will be very helpful.

VIP Member
    As others have said, don't expect a good grade on your paper. Years ago when I went back to school to get a AAS Degree I had a ultra liberal instructor for the portion on speeches. I did a speech on Conceal Carry Permit Facts vs Myth. I received a C grade on the speech. He told me afterwords that it was a very good speech. Well researched, format was good, presentation was well done. Then he told me if I had chosen a "more appropriate subject" I would have gotten an A on it. When I ask him what he meant by more appropriate hes said "A subject I agree with".

Yes, I could have fought the grade, and probably won, but I didn't consider it worth the hassle. I passed the class with a C, which considering the fact that his and my thinking were polar opposite on most everything, I was satisfied with.

To be honest, I was surprised to even get a passing grade out of his class. This was pre 9/11. He was anti military as well. He started a class off with total BS about the military. When he said, "The only reason someone joins or stays in the military, is because they are too lazy and/or stupid to make it on the outside". I stood up in class, told him he was full of fecal matter, not in those words, and walked out of his class for the night.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSGAlex View Post
    Eagleks, have you read that in an article somewhere? I have been looking for it for a few hours and there are a lot of what ifs, would have's, and could have's, but nothing about a permit holder in the theater.
    Saw them interview some of the people who were in the theatre, and asking them what they did, and there were different people who said they had a cc license but couldn't carry because of the theatre being posted. They even showed a shot of where the signs were posted. Also, the news reporter pointed out the theatre was posted, and that someone may have been able to stop the shooter had they been able to carry there. One was a guy there (mid-30's) on a date, and 2 brothers that were there that made the comment as well. They weren't the only one's interviewed who said it. Saw this come up on more than one news report.

Don't know if any of that hit 'print'. The Newspapers, are typically owned by syndicated companies that are a bit anti-, so I'm not sure they would include it as a result.

I don't understand how people are supposed to keep track of it in Colorado, when apparently cities have the ability to make CC illegal.
    That sure creates a hodge-podge of laws and a mess to follow.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I'd agree. No such animal as a gun free zone, except to those of us who don't cause trouble anyway.

While this is not a campus incident, not too long ago in a state that mandates an anti gun sign carries the weight of law (you know, a gun free zone), there was a pretty bad deal at a Batman movie. Seems some guy carried a gun (!) into a gun free zone and opened fire on innocent folks. Not really sure how that could happen, considering that the location was, after all, legally a gun free zone.

Perhaps your professor is familiar with that story.

They are victim management areas.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    One of the most asinine no weapons laws comes from the federal government......For national security reasons, guns cannot be carried into federal facilities within national parks. Notice of this rule will be clearly displayed outside all federal facilities. If you are unsure if a park building is a federal facility, look for a sign or ask a park ranger. http://www.nps.gov/yell/parkmgmt/upl...IMR_2-2010.pdfFor national security reasons... Right, and pigs now fly non-stop to Rome.... Talk about a crock of ----...... Truth be told the government (federal, state and local) should adhere to the 2nd amendment and allow weapons in there buildings. Banning weapons should only be for the rarest of circumstances rather than the norm.
    I agree. Never understood why, of all places, federal buildings are off limits to CHL's. That's what I like about TX. Government building are not off limits to CHL'ers. The law prevents any government building, local or state, to be posted off limit (30.06 posted) to CHL. We can even walk into the Capitol building fully armed and bypass the metal detectors that non-CHL'ers have to go through.

Here is a prime example

Bay County FL, December 15, 2010 - Bay County School Board Meeting

Bay County School Board Gunman Shoots Himself - YouTube
    Here is a link to the video recording clip of the school bard meeting. There is a longer version. One female board member tried to take him out with her purse but was not successful.

Clay Duke, gunman who's wife lost her job with the school, showed up at the meeting to get satisfaction. Long story short, the school head of security(former LEO, Mike Jones) was in the building and saw what was happening on CCTV. Since FL prohibits carry on any school property, he had his revolver locked securely in his car across the street from school grounds. He rushed to his car, retrieved his gun and made his way back to the boardroom. The gunman had let everyone leave except for the board members.

In the video, after Duke takes shot at Superintendent Husfelt, Mike Jones opens fire from behind. I believe that Duke turned the gun on himself. If Jones had not had been there, He probably would have killed some if not all of the board members....

FYI.....Mike Jones is also known as Salvage Santa.... For the past umpteen years, he collects "junk bicycles" and rebuilds them all year in order to deliver them to less fortunate people around the community.

Also, the big binder in front of Superintendent Husfelt caught the first bullet. If the binder had not been there, he would have taken at least one bullet.

Mike Jones was not prosecuted since he was acting to save lives even though he was not legal to be carrying on school property.

Hope this helps!

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    great idea, I'm doing a papaer in managerial communications on what would happen if the 2nd ammendment was lost...its alwaus easy to write papers on stuff you're passionate about
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    "I think it's fair to say that we believe guns don't belong in the classroom," Hincker said. "In an academic environment, we believe you should be free from fear."

Not the same exact thing you cited you were looking for, BUT it still may be useful anyway.

Virginia Tech's ban on guns may draw legal fire - Roanoke.com

Virginia Tech student was concealing a firearm to class and got caught. He had a CCL. This happened almost exactly 2 years before the infamous massacre. So it was well known VT frowns on students with defensive weapons. The quote is extremely ironic, why would a competent individual carrying a defensive firearm have a need for fear? Its when you have no means of protecting or defending yourself you have reason for fear.

VT, Columbine, Aurora Batman movie shooting, the recent NYC shootings, the pro-life shooting in DC, what do they have in common ? Citizens were denied the right to carry self-defense weapons, namely firearms. Too many victims to be mere coincidence that they happened in "gun-free zones".

Good luck with your paper. One of the English classes I took not too long ago, the prof. assigned us to write about things like gun control, death penalty, abortion,...basically the most controversial stuff she could come up with. I appreciated that over writing about a subject I don't care much about.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Here's an article that also may be of interest to ou.
    Did Colorado shooter single out Cinemark theater because it banned guns? | Fox News

Question about Missouri gun laws. Does MO have a liability clause for private gun free zones? To clarify. Private business posts gun buster sign. You are not able to defend yourself and we're harmed.

Thank you to everyone who contributed, the paper turned out to be about double the minimum length and there was a lot I couldnt put in there but I thought it turned out pretty damn good. I got the paper back and my instructor agreed, it got an A+. If anyone is interested in reading it email or pm me and I'll send it.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGAlex View Post
    Thank you to everyone who contributed, the paper turned out to be about double the minimum length and there was a lot I couldnt put in there but I thought it turned out pretty damn good. I got the paper back and my instructor agreed, it got an A+. If anyone is interested in reading it email or pm me and I'll send it.
    Well done

Any comments from the teacher on the content?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Not on the content, only that it was well written and developed and a solid argument.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links